Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32369 times)

rtprod

PERFECT, but...
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
I'm sure I'm going to catch HELL for this one but I'll jump into the void nonetheless.  Here goes:

Our film is as close to perfect as a movie can get, and god knows we agree on this for every reason under the sun.  But let's just say you can "come clean" and offer one area where you might make a change or even a subtle improvement -- the directing of a scene, something more from a performance, a close-up you wish were there, a deleted scene you wish had made it, score under a scene where it wasn't, etc.   

I'll go first: 

1. Since the Independent Spirit Awards broadcast when the montage was shown with the extended closet scene and Heath's river of tears, I've thought about, maybe even wished, that were in the final cut. 

2. I think when Lureen says "You've been goin' up there all these years" it is a bit of a stretch, since they were just reunited not long before and the time passage montage may have rushed things a tiny bit.

One rule here -- no "it's perfect as it is" posts -- LOL.  Even though we all know it is perfect as it is. 

Get your tomatoes ready, I'm ducking for cover.   ;D

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:15:43 pm by rtprod »

EnnisDelMar

Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:27 pm »
What? I want to hear more about this extended Heath scene...

I Might* have added a quick flashback during the closet scene to show what two shirts those really were. A lot of people who did not read the short story thought, for whatever reason, that those were the shirts Jack died in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:19:04 pm by EnnisDelMar »

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 01:20:34 pm »
Little D, can't believe you haven't seen that -- I have it on tape somewhere, will find a way to get it to you. 

It is a truly awesome moment.  He picks up the shirts, does what we see in the final cut, then stumbles, leans against the wall, clutches the shirts and...bawls. 

I'll get it to you.   ;)

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:08 pm »
 :o PLEASE do!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:58 pm »
LOL - don't worry about it.  Every film has a moment or two.  We've all just seen THIS one SOOOO many times!

There are two small moments when I personally can hear Heath's Aussie accent slip out - when he leaves the apartment with Jack and tells Alma about the shirts - I can hear the Aussie accent when he says "top pocket of my blue shirt," and at some point in the Ennis-Alma grocery store scene he ends a sentence with ".... the girls" - girls being spoken iin Aussie speak.

Also, one continuity error - when they first meet at Aguirre's office in 1963 the church steeple in the background is on the right of Aguirre's office/trailer.   When Jack goes back the next year, same shot, the church steeple is on the left of Aguirre's office.

Also, people have mentioned more than once than in one shot Heath's wrist tatoos are visible.  

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
PLEASE do!

Okay already, hand-delivered.  tehe.   ;D

Oh, hi everyone. 

rt 

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:28:34 pm »
Heath's wrist tattoos are visable in lots of scenes.

But back on Topic.  You know, I wish there was just one more scene of them being 'romantic' or something up on the mountain.  Maybe them holding eachother by the fire one night sharing a cigarette or something.  It would have only needed to be 10-15 seconds long.  I feel it would have added much more to the 'argument' some others have that they didn't belive their chemistry or didn't believe they were in love.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:15 pm »
I agree with Eric about wanting another romantic scene. I understand why it's not there, but it would be nice.

Also, this may not be what you're looking for, but I really hate when the girls are asking if Ennis will be home in time for the church picnic. Something about their voices just gets on my nerves.

Is this extended scene with the shirts on youtube or anything? I didn't know that existed. I wanna see!

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:33:39 pm »
Dunno if it's on You-Tube.

However, I love that scene about the church picnic because it affords me one of my favorite BBM pleasures, Heath's drawling delivery of this line:

"Well all right, as long as I don't have to saaaang."

Awesomely said...

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:37:54 pm by rtprod »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:34:29 pm »
You mean there was a sequence of Ennis crying over the shirts? Damn!

I've caught hell for this one elsewhere already, but I'll repeat it anyway. In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Also, something that would only interest or be noticed by a train buff like me: That train that goes by while Ennis is waiting outside Joe Aguirre's office isn't "period" for 1963. The train has no caboose on the end. In 1963 a freight train in the U.S. would still have had a caboose. And the freight cars that we can see as the train rolls off into the distance and Jack drives up aren't "period" either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 01:37:10 pm »
Yeah rt, Heath is good there, it's just the girls that bother me.

In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Agreed. I noticed that too.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:42:16 pm »
Also, something that would only interest or be noticed by a train buff like me: That train that goes by while Ennis is waiting outside Joe Aguirre's office isn't "period" for 1963. The train has no caboose on the end. In 1963 a freight train in the U.S. would still have had a caboose. And the freight cars that we can see as the train rolls off into the distance and Jack drives up aren't "period" either.

Hmmm, interesting observation Jeff.  I'm a train buff too, and you're probably right about that, unless it was a short line train or something.  I remember on TOB there was a discussion that at least they got the sound of the horn right for the railroad line and trains in Wyoming in 1963. 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:50:39 pm »
I want to see the extended closet scene too.  I heard it been discussed a lot and really wanted to see the rare instance that Ang Lee let Health not underplay the role.  Saw the ISA show but missed the part of Health nomination >:(.

Can someone who has the extended scene and technical know-how to put it up somewhere so the rest of us can see it?  Please…

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 01:59:40 pm »
Please put that extended scene up !! This is the first time I've heard of it too... see now that's something that could be on a special edition DVD!

My one part, and I KNOW I'm going to catch hell for this, is Heath's delivery of the line "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" in that final scene in the mountains.  It seemed a little overdramatic, IMO and took me out of the movie for a few seconds, especially because I consider the rest of that scene to be flawless.  There was just something about the way he squeezed the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes... I know that it made sense for his character because he didn't want to show his emotions by crying and maybe he was trying to hold the tears back, but it looked to me like it was Heath trying to force some tears out.  I don't think that's the case because Heath cries on cue in many other parts of the movie but, I don't know, there was just something off in that line delivery for me.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

rtprod

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 02:01:49 pm »
Please put that extended scene up !! This is the first time I've heard of it too... see now that's something that could be on a special edition DVD!

My one part, and I KNOW I'm going to catch hell for this, is Heath's delivery of the line "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" in that final scene in the mountains.  It seemed a little overdramatic, IMO and took me out of the movie for a few seconds, especially because I consider the rest of that scene to be flawless.  There was just something about the way he squeezed the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes... I know that it made sense for his character because he didn't want to show his emotions by crying and maybe he was trying to hold the tears back, but it looked to me like it was Heath trying to force some tears out.  I don't think that's the case because Heath cries on cue in many other parts of the movie but, I don't know, there was just something off in that line delivery for me.

Ugh, now I have to bear the consequences of starting this thread!  LOL.  Little, you are really brave.  That is my favorite line reading in the movie!  And those Heath-tears did get forced out too, down the bridge of that nose and into the air.  Was a beautiful thing.

Thanks for...er...sharing.  hehehe

rt

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
RT

And me, get it to me too!!!

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 02:08:10 pm »

Ugh, now I have to bear the consequences of starting this thread!  LOL.  Little, you are really brave.  That is my favorite line reading in the movie!  And those Heath-tears did get forced out too, down the bridge of that nose and into the air.  Was a beautiful thing.

Thanks for...er...sharing.  hehehe

rt

LOL I know, it took everything I had to actually put it into words, I knew people would hate me for it! It's really weird too, because I know he is actually crying and not forcing it out, you can see the tears in the air even as you said... and the lines right before that "Why don't you then? Why don't you just let me be?" are some of my favorite as well.... hell that whole scene is my favorite scene.  That's why I have no clue why those two lines bug me... *runs for cover*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 02:14:26 pm »
Add my voice to the call for the extended scene. I would LOVE to see it, though I'm not sure from your description whether I'd want it in the movie. I think that scene is pretty perfect as it is, the underplaying is effective, and I like the way the emotion builds to the final scene.

The Aussie accent moments bother me, too. It's a small thing, but why didn't they just fix that?

I like the "nothing nobody" part, but I'm not fond of his threat to kill Jack. He wouldn't really do that.

But I also would love to see just a few more romantic moments, however brief. Partly because I love all the ones that are there already. And partly because the last half of the movie is so nearly devoid of physical affection, and I really miss it. Putting more of that stuff in might not even be good for the movie in an artistic sense, as it would diminish that often-noted effect of leaving the viewer wanting more. The hell with that. I do want more!!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 02:21:26 pm »
RT

O0

OOOHHH me too please.. I'll buy you something nice.. :D
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 02:25:51 pm »
Dunno if it's on You-Tube.

However, I love that scene about the church picnic because it affords me one of my favorite BBM pleasures, Heath's drawling delivery of this line:

"Well all right, as long as I don't have to saaaang."

Awesomely said...

rt

Agreed, rt! Love how he draws out that "saaaang"! Actually, another reason I love that little sequence is because I think it helps to show that Ennis does love his daughters. He's running off to be with Jack, but he still holds up for his little angels.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
 :) RT - now you've done it!!  You simply must post that extended scene - there will be no living with us until you find it and let us see for ourselves - like elephants - we don't forget!............................... :laugh:
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 02:31:18 pm »

Hmmm, interesting observation Jeff.  I'm a train buff too, and you're probably right about that, unless it was a short line train or something.  I remember on TOB there was a discussion that at least they got the sound of the horn right for the railroad line and trains in Wyoming in 1963. 

Hey, Eric,

I missed that mention of the sound of the horn being "right." Thank goodness it wasn't a steam whistle!

Now that you mention it, I suppose you could make a case that there might not have been a caboose if it was a short-line short-haul, but I think it still would have looked more "period" with a caboose.

My interest is mainly steam era, so I could be talking through my Resistol, but the covered hopper on the end of the train--you can see it moving off into the distance as Jack approaches in his truck--looks too "modern" to me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 02:33:07 pm »
Yeah rt, Heath is good there, it's just the girls that bother me.

In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Agreed. I noticed that too.

Thank you, Courtney, little darlin'! I really got crucified for that aiming comment on another thread!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:24 pm »
I was mementarily distracted by the thought of that extended crying scene...

All the kids, except Baby Jenny, were pretty horrid-could have done better with them.
And more lovin'! I would have liked to see more of the meetings in the later years.
And, so shoot me-I don't care-Jack alive. There! I said it! (head wagging) O0

Heathen

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 02:44:44 pm »
Just like this pic...Oh how I wish we could have seen this scene.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 02:46:20 pm »
rt, I want that extended scene too..... :-*

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 02:47:15 pm »
I missed that mention of the sound of the horn being "right." Thank goodness it wasn't a steam whistle!

My interest is mainly steam era, so I could be talking through my Resistol, but the covered hopper on the end of the train--you can see it moving off into the distance as Jack approaches in his truck--looks too "modern" to me.

LOL about the steam whistle.  As far as the hopper.  Well, filming a movie on a limited budget in 2005 and getting train equipment from 1963 for one scene might be a little tough.  We can't have everything I guess.  Only us train guys would really take note of something like that anyways.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 02:57:51 pm »

What a great pic! I hadn't seen that before! Ennis sure has his eyes on something special...  ::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 03:08:39 pm »
What I would have changed is not having the babies (Alma and Jenny) crying so much at the beginning. Everytime they're on screen, they're crying. Even on July 4th. They could've shut up then!

Like someone said on a long ago thread on TOB or the old CT--what did they do, pinch those babies everytime they said "Action!"

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 03:36:34 pm »
I;'ve mentioned two of these before, and everyone says they're FINE..so here I go again:

"My dad says rodeo cowboys are all fuckups"--we proounce the word fuck ups, (two words, like) not one word with the asccent on the first syllable and the second barely audible.

"You're better OFF sleeping in the tent." ..as if there had been a prolongued discussion about where you were better OFF sleeping...no accent on OFF.

Heartily agree that a tiny flashback to the nosebleed fight would be very helpful to first-time viewers when Ennis finds the shirts, for the reason already mentioned: it's only been about 60 seconds since we heard about Jack's death, and people associeate the bloood with that at first viewing.

I..hate to get uibnto holy territory, but the new video "Remouncement"--shows Alma looking out the door during the reunion kiss, but it
is NOT the reunion kiss, it's the post-kiss activities, with Jack hungrily wanting more and Ennis nuzzling him..and it's SO MUCH BETTER than the movie, which shows two guys holding eachothers' heads and barely making mouth contact at all.

Would it be TOO much of a compromise to Ennis's homophobia if he said ONE LITTLE word of endearment, or appreciation for the sex? I know his face speaks a lot, but Proulx has provided us with so many: " little darlin'"--he could say it any way Ledger knows how, and I'm SURE he knows how--to get Jack, his kids and his animals, all in the same two words. Or "I goddam well hate it that you're going to drive away in the morning and I'm goin back to work," or "..but Jesus H, ain't nothin like this," or " took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't  a let you out a my sights." or... just a crumb..well, we've always got the flashback scene...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

rtprod

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 04:09:01 pm »

Me too.  In a way, Ang tipped the scales a bit conservatively where the relationship is concerned.  Given that there was considerable cutting room floor action, I could have stood a few more scenes of warmth and love.  Makes the loss even harder.

rt

rtprod

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 04:11:58 pm »
  RT - now you've done it!!  You simply must post that extended scene - there will be no living with us until you find it and let us see for ourselves - like elephants - we don't forget!...............................

Well, I did it to myself didn't I?  I'll see if I can find it amidst the unlabeled tapes...

Like I recently told someone else on a different subject:  Will = way. 

;)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »
I know this has been discussed before, but I really hated Bobby's "I'm gonna be eatin' this food for the next two weeks."

MandyI - Awwwww... I loved "I'm nothin'. I'm nowhere." To each their own, I suppose  :)

Bee - I agree, I would have liked to have seen a flashback during the closet scene. My mom, for example, didn't understand that those were the shirts during their "fight", she thought they were just two of Jack's shirts. And that is such a crucial aspect of the film.

RT - Good thread, thanks for starting it.  :-*

Also, I would have liked to have seen another tender moment between Jack & Ennis. I mean I know Ang (..etc) purposely held back, but I would have liked just another glimpse. A touch, a look between them, anything..
AH, rt, you replied while I was typing saying the same thing..

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 04:41:21 pm »

What a great pic! I hadn't seen that before! Ennis sure has his eyes on something special...  ::)

Mandy (LG), I like the way you think.  And I agree with you about the "I'm nothing... I'm nowhere" line reading.  Took me out of it for a second, too.  Still does every time.  (Sorry, RT!  --ducking and running-- )  And as much as it *pains* me to admit it, I have to agree with you, Julie, that I have the same problem with Jake's line reading of "You'd be better OFF sleepin' in the tent."  He definitely put the accENT on the wrong syll-Ah-ble there.  I'd have said it more evenly throughout, putting a slight crescendo on the word "tent" instead of on "off" - just more like the rhythm of the way people really talk.

Also, I'd have cast a little girl who has BROWN eyes and STRAIGHT hair to play the young Alma, Jr.  I realize a little bit of nepotism was at play there, but tough tooty - she coulda been a featured extra in the fireworks scene instead.

Oh, and I'd have cast ANYONE other than the one who played Bobby.  Or at least trained him some more on how to properly deliver his only line.

And I agree with you, Julie - I wish they'd kept the "Little darlin'" and the "I shoulda never let you outta my sights" in it in the *worst* way.  But I have to say that I would have found a flashback to the fight pandering in the bedroom scene.  Though I would have liked to see the extended scene preserved very much, too.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 04:48:56 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 05:07:19 pm »
I want the extended scene too, please!

Why do you think Ennis would have never threatened to kill Jack? IMO, it seems to match his angry behavior throughout the movie.
I really like that part too. It's one of my faves.
What I don't know, all them things I don't know, could get you killed if I come to know 'em!
And of course, if we didn't have that line, we wouldn't have this beautiful line:
...and then tell me you'd kill me for needin' something I don't hardly ever get.

I'm sorry if I'm off a word or two. I don't have my book with me.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 05:13:32 pm »
OK, that's it, I'm startin a thread about that killin line.

BTW, maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want "little darlin" and those other Story Ennis lines in the movie. It would alter Movie Ennis' character and change everything.

But another endearment or two from Ennis -- subtle, like "sending up a prayer of thanks," or even nonverbal -- would be welcome.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 07:54:28 pm »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

and

I wish there had been a shot of Ennis looking up - just a quick glance - when Jack first drove off in the truck after coming down from BBM the first time.  It takes a bit of a stretch for anyone who hasn't read the short story to get that Ennis is upset about leaving Jack.  You have a reaction shot of Jack's regret, but not Ennis' and it looks like Ennis' reaction comes out of nowhere.  You have to really keep the fight on the mountain and Ennis pouting in mind to make sense of that scene.

and

'I wish I could quit you'.  The way Jake says it in the voiceover in the trailer sounds much better than it did in the movie.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 08:07:17 pm »
What? I want to hear more about this extended Heath scene...

I Might* have added a quick flashback during the closet scene to show what two shirts those really were. A lot of people who did not read the short story thought, for whatever reason, that those were the shirts Jack died in.

i don't know. I got it in my first viewing and I had read the short story before hand. I think a flash back would have interrupted Ennis's moment as well as the intensity of the moment.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 08:23:54 pm »
I leave for one day, and yall done lost your minds.

This movie is perfect.  Perfect, I tell you.  :-)))
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
I agree about not wanting a flashback to the fight. It seems like it would interupt the scene in a weird way. People who don't get it can just watch it again.  ;D

And Mandy (LG), I agree about "I'm nothin, I'm nowhere." Sorry everyone!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:45 pm »
I agree about not wanting a flashback to the fight. It seems like it would interupt the scene in a weird way. People who don't get it can just watch it again.  ;D

And Mandy (LG), I agree about "I'm nothin, I'm nowhere." Sorry everyone!

I tell you, I can't speak for anyone else.  When I saw the movie for the first time (Christmas week), I knew exactly what those shirts were, and I had no idea about the ending.  I knew one of them died, thanks to a friends big mouth,  but those shirts blew me away.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:50 pm »
I really hate when the girls are asking if Ennis will be home in time for the church picnic. Something about their voices just gets on my nerves.

Oh, I'm so with you Courtney.  I always snap out of the film and think "Jeez, they couldn't find a better take than that?"

Same with the last fight.  That fly on Heath's cheek just drives me bonkers.  I can't help staring at it.  Couldn't they have brushed it out?  Even thinking about it now gives me the wiggles.

And that moustache.  That goddamn moustache.  Really?  We have to have it?  Arrgh.

I can live without the extra lovin' scenes in the movie, but I am still royally peeved that they didn't include the goodies on the DVD.  Sneaky buggers.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 09:50:34 pm »
I just thought of another one. I'll try not to be too specific because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't noticed it yet. Ever since it was pointed out to me I can't help but be distracted. Hmm, how to put this delicately?

Makeup--campfire.

That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25:20 am »

You're right about this part. By now, I can't put myself in the mindset of people coming in cold and not expecting the shirts to be there. But a flashback would be intrusive. So let those people read the short story four or five times, see the movie seven times, watch innumerable YouTube videos that also clearly indicate the origin of the shirts, and go on a message board and discuss the movie for three months or so. They'll figure it out.

I wish there had been a shot of Ennis looking up - just a quick glance - when Jack first drove off in the truck after coming down from BBM the first time.  It takes a bit of a stretch for anyone who hasn't read the short story to get that Ennis is upset about leaving Jack.  You have a reaction shot of Jack's regret, but not Ennis' and it looks like Ennis' reaction comes out of nowhere.  You have to really keep the fight on the mountain and Ennis pouting in mind to make sense of that scene.

I don't find that alley scene confusing. But him taking a quick glance at the truck pulling away would be nice!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37:20 am »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

Interesting... I always thought that line was supposed to sound forced, because he wasn't really angry with Ennis, he was worried sick, he was just trying to sound angry... I think these are even the directions in the story to screenplay book... or maybe it's in the story? I don't know, but I read that somewhere... anyone?

vkm91941

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:26 am »

Interesting... I always thought that line was supposed to sound forced, because he wasn't really angry with Ennis, he was worried sick, he was just trying to sound angry... I think these are even the directions in the story to screenplay book... or maybe it's in the story? I don't know, but I read that somewhere... anyone?

From the Story to Screenplay book...

The campfire light flickers on Jack's face, he looks around at the surrounding forest.  Knows Ennis wouldn't lag..is clearly worried.........then we see Ennis ride into camp dismount somewhat obscured by the darkness.  Jack is more worried than angry and tries to disguise his concern with indignation.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 02:41:15 am »
Thanks Vic! That's exactly what I was looking for...

If this is how it's supposed to be acted, then Jake's delivery seems right to me, but, then again, I'm really biased and irrationally love everything that has to do with Jake/Jack!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 04:16:18 am »

Hahahaha Flash!

The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 04:21:17 am »
I always thought they should have found another little girl to play three-year old Alma Jr.; She's cute but looks nothing like teenage Alma.

:(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 12:50:08 pm »
The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.

I don't think Monroe is in any hurry to tangle with Ennis, and this is just him putting it off as long as he reasonably can.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 06:01:34 pm »

I don't think Monroe is in any hurry to tangle with Ennis, and this is just him putting it off as long as he reasonably can.

Sure, but as far as he knew Ennis was turning his wife into pulp in the kitchen sink.  You'd at least get out of the chair and stick your head through the door.  If Munroe didn't want to go fists with Ennis, he at least could have grabbed and extension cord and dragged the electric knife in to defend Alma.  Walk up and stick his cigar butt into his neck!  Something!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:43 pm »
dragged the electric knife in to defend Alma.

LOL, Ray!!! Having Monroe fight Ennis off using the electric knife as a weapon would have been a good ironic touch!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 07:28:56 pm »

Hahahaha Flash!

I figure they're trying to show that Monroe isn't a real man and Ennis is.  Yes, Ennis is so angry he's about to hit her, but I believe he would never actually do it.  Meanwhile, Monroe just sits there, showing how weak of a man he is, and also showing (intentionally or not, I don't know) that straight doesn't necessarily equal manly and gay doesn't necessarily equal otherwise.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 07:59:37 pm »

OK, maybe 'forced' was the wrong word.  Um, 'fake'?

I'm comparing two scenes:

Jack tells Ennis, Aguirre said to 'bring 'em down'.

Ennis gets angry (when he's really love-lorn) and goes on a tear about the sheep and Aguirre cheating them out a month's pay.

AND

Ennis shows up in camp late due to a problem between bears and mules.

Jack gets angry (when he's really worried) and blurts out about being tired and hungry and only having beans.

Heath sounded a lot more convincing than Jake when they're doing the same thing.

Does that make more sense?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:56 pm »
The fireworks scene.  Just don't get it (but I am sure someone will explain why it's there!)

Agree that I would have liked a little more tenderness & love expressed -

A bit further back on the camera view in the Motel - would like to see more of their arms holding each other (see above).

Would not have wanted a flashback to the fight - hopefully most people got it (although quite a few were confused by their Brokeback flashback)

I'm sorry...the physical movements of Jake/Jack when he says, "All we've got is Brokeback Mountain..."  (ducking now)

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:48 pm »
RT

O0

Me too!!!!! Please.  8)
Jack Nasty loves you!

moremojo

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 10:24:12 pm »
The fireworks scene.  Just don't get it (but I am sure someone will explain why it's there!)

A bit further back on the camera view in the Motel - would like to see more of their arms holding each other (see above).

I have heard that in the fullscreen version of the DVD, one can see a lot more of the men's arms touching and carressing in the motel scene.

The fireworks scene was, in part, there to function as an emblematic image of Ennis as American icon (tough, resilient, hard-as-nails cowboy). I'm not sure I can fully articulate why this scene resonates so much for me, but I found it mysteriously significant, and loved it myself.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:05:06 pm by moremojo »

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »
A couple things.

1.During the lake scene confrontation (which I love, so put down those tomatoes, please! ;)), Jack looks like Yosemite Sam. I think it's the outline the hat, the boots, and even the jacket.

2.While I admire Ang's artistic restraint, I wish there had been more love scenes between our boys. The first few times I saw BBM, I was deeply disappointed, and, heck, pretty annoyed, that the stuff in the tent scenes was in shadow, too dark to see.  Luckily, with the DVD, I found if I tilt my folks' old laptop screen just right, the illumination improves dramatically, and I can actually see their faces, expressions, eye movements, and the kissing! Yeehaw!

3. I wish Ang had held the shot of Ennis in the phonebooth (after he hangs up with Lureen) longer.

4. I LOVE Jake's expression and mannerisms throughout the film. But something doesn't feel true to me in the first moment of his reaction when he realizes Ennis is crying. When he kind of throws his hands up. I can't really explain it, but it feels off to me.

5. It's weird how Jenny disappears completely from the film after Thanksgiving. She is only ever mentioned again twice, both times by Alma Jr. Anyone notice how in most of the scenes where Ennis is leaving the girls with Alma, he only kisses Alma Jr.? Poor overlooked Jenny.

Also don't get why her name was changed from Francine (in the story) to Jenny (in the movie).
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2006, 12:32:39 am »
I'm comparing two scenes:

Jack tells Ennis, Aguirre said to 'bring 'em down'.

Ennis gets angry (when he's really love-lorn) and goes on a tear about the sheep and Aguirre cheating them out a month's pay.

AND

Ennis shows up in camp late due to a problem between bears and mules.

Jack gets angry (when he's really worried) and blurts out about being tired and hungry and only having beans.

Heath sounded a lot more convincing than Jake when they're doing the same thing.

But they aren't doing the same thing.

Jack comes back to camp, can't find Ennis, sits there for a while stewing, not knowing whether to be worried or angry, decides he'll go with angry whenever Ennis does show up, meanwhile REHEARSING what he's going to say.

Ennis comes back to camp and is distraught to find Jack dismantling the tent. But Jack seems pretty cheerful. That just hurts Ennis even more -- why isn't he heartbroken, too? -- but of course he can't just come right out and say that. So he blurts out the thing about Aguirre (which is probably partly genuine -- he really does need the money) but is also a test -- if Jack joins him in attacking Aguirre it may indicate Jack is also upset about their parting. Instead, Jack helpfully offers a loan, which just makes Ennis madder, and on and on from there.

So if Jack's speech sounds fake and rehearsed, it's because it was fake and rehearsed. Ennis' reaction was more spontaneous, and if the premise is partly false, the anger is genuine.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:24 am »

Jack comes back to camp, can't find Ennis, sits there for a while stewing, not knowing whether to be worried or angry, decides he'll go with angry whenever Ennis does show up, meanwhile REHEARSING what he's going to say.

Ennis comes back to camp and is distraught to find Jack dismantling the tent. But Jack seems pretty cheerful. That just hurts Ennis even more -- why isn't he heartbroken, too? -- but of course he can't just come right out and say that. So he blurts out the thing about Aguirre (which is probably partly genuine -- he really does need the money) but is also a test -- if Jack joins him in attacking Aguirre it may indicate Jack is also upset about their parting. Instead, Jack helpfully offers a loan, which just makes Ennis madder, and on and on from there.

So if Jack's speech sounds fake and rehearsed, it's because it was fake and rehearsed. Ennis' reaction was more spontaneous, and if the premise is partly false, the anger is genuine.

OK, that's understandable, but that's assuming Jack THOUGHT Ennis was going to come back.  For all he knew, Ennis said to hell with this and left the mountain, or Ennis was hurt and in the woods somewhere or Ennis was lost.  Jack couldn't have been rehearsing what to say if he didn't know what would eventually happen.  I thought this was meant to be spontaneous - Ennis finally DOES show up to Jack's relief - and it didn't sound that way.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:53 am »
OK, that's understandable, but that's assuming Jack THOUGHT Ennis was going to come back.  For all he knew, Ennis said to hell with this and left the mountain, or Ennis was hurt and in the woods somewhere or Ennis was lost.  Jack couldn't have been rehearsing what to say if he didn't know what would eventually happen.  I thought this was meant to be spontaneous - Ennis finally DOES show up to Jack's relief - and it didn't sound that way.

Not to argue this endlessly, Del, but isn't it pretty unlikely that Ennis would have said "the hell with this" and left the mountain without a word to Jack for no apparent reason? He wasn't upset about anything, and he's a pretty responsible guy.

Realistically, Jack faced two possibilities: that something bad had happened to Ennis, leaving him hurt or lost, or that he was just late and had neglected his duties. The former seems more likely because, again, Ennis isn't irresponsible. So Jack, knowing this, probably was more worried than angry. But he's a little of both. If Ennis finally does show up OK, he'll be mad at Ennis not just for being late but also for making him worry. So he plans out what he'll say if that happens.

His reaction is similar to what happens when a missing child turns up and the relieved parent yells at the kid for straying.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2006, 12:02:01 pm »
The fireworks scene was, in part, there to function as an emblematic image of Ennis as American icon (tough, resilient, hard-as-nails cowboy).

Scott - I can see what you're saying, but I didn't think the scene rang true.  The bikers would've got up together to confront Ennis & I think the other cowboys in the area (totally not even looking during the confrontation) would've got up to back-up Ennis.

Maybe if the scene had progressed differently w/ the one biker just rising to confront Ennis w/out looking to his buddy (who we see starting to rise - but then does not??).  Then the timing/scene would have seemed truer.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:27:07 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:31 pm »
Not to argue this endlessly, Del, but isn't it pretty unlikely that Ennis would have said "the hell with this" and left the mountain without a word to Jack for no apparent reason? He wasn't upset about anything, and he's a pretty responsible guy.

Yes, but Jack doesn't know this.  Not for certain.  This seems to be pretty early in the relationship isn't it?  Guys DO suddenly decide to move on.  Ennis has never worked for Aguirre before or with Jack, so he really doesn't know at this stage.

Realistically, Jack faced two possibilities: that something bad had happened to Ennis, leaving him hurt or lost, or that he was just late and had neglected his duties. The former seems more likely because, again, Ennis isn't irresponsible. So Jack, knowing this, probably was more worried than angry. But he's a little of both. If Ennis finally does show up OK, he'll be mad at Ennis not just for being late but also for making him worry. So he plans out what he'll say if that happens.

His reaction is similar to what happens when a missing child turns up and the relieved parent yells at the kid for straying.

I'll go along with that last, but I doubt that people rehearse what they'll say to their children in that circumstance.  They've been more worried IMO than sitting there rehearsing what to say if they do show up.  Usually they say blurt something they wish they hadn't later.  Again, I keep thinking this should have been more spontaneous a scene.

But no biggie Kat, we all see it differently.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2006, 08:43:21 pm »
I think I see where you're coming from Del, with that campfire scene.  And I wanted to point another thing out about that scene that always bugged me.  I've always thought that they way those few seconds when jack says "where the hell you been...." and ennis walks past him mumbling were shot were a little strange.  I think it's lit strange and the way the camera follows Ennis throws me for a minute.  Just those few seconds until Jack says "what in the hell happened Ennis?" It all falls back into place for me with that.

Does anyone know what I mean? I'm not a filmaker so I don't know the technical stuff, but the way it was shot and lit just seemed a bit off.  that could be a reason why Jake's delivery seems forced, that the shot itself seems a little faked

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2006, 10:44:01 pm »
Little D, can't believe you haven't seen that -- I have it on tape somewhere, will find a way to get it to you. 

It is a truly awesome moment.  He picks up the shirts, does what we see in the final cut, then stumbles, leans against the wall, clutches the shirts and...bawls. 

I'll get it to you.   ;)

rt

OMG rt, I want this too!!!! Please?? Pretty please??  ;D
Chut up!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2006, 06:36:35 am »
About the campfire scene - If you look closely (or even not so closely.  I noticed it upon first viewing), Jack smiles slighty when Ennis gets back to camp as he's putting the cap back on the whiskey bottle.  When he chides Ennis I always thought he was just, as they say in gangster movies, bustin' his balls.  Joking around.  Giving him a hard time.  So no, it shouldn't sound like authentic anger.

I thought having Ennis loose his temper against a backdrop of exploding fireworks with his family waaaaaaaaay in the background of the shot was emblematic of how his anger would always keep him distant from them.  I did think the image was an Oliver Stone size overstatement though.

The only line from any child actor that I found even halfway believable was "Mama, I need crayons," which I loved.

The dialogue in the Alma Jr./Ennis trailer scene seems uncharacteristically cliche compared to the rest of the movie.  I think they could have done better.  Listening to the rest of the movie, they could have done a lot better.

This isn't a gripe about the movie, but I wish to GOD they hadn't put the shirt scene in the motherlovin' theatrical trailer!!!!!!!!!!!  How the hell can you put your big surprise emotion tugging moment in your pre-release press and expect it to still have the same impact to the theatre going public who have seen that moment half a dozen times and know it's coming?!?!?!??  Man, I was pissed at that!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
The dialogue in the Alma Jr./Ennis trailer scene seems uncharacteristically cliche compared to the rest of the movie.  I think they could have done better.  Listening to the rest of the movie, they could have done a lot better.

Oh no!  I loved that scene.  Reminiscent of their conversation in the truck, and Alma Jr.s conversation w/ Cassie.  Short, non-specific questions and answers that still got to the heart of the matter.  And I personally loved when Ennis asked, "This Kurt fella, he loves you?"  One of my favorite lines as I think Ennis truly realizes how much he was loved and how important true love is.

I do agree about the trailer tho'...

TJ

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2006, 03:22:16 pm »
Jack Twist's moustache was a part of the original story!

Lots of things in the movie would have been a whole lot different if the native to Texas screenplay writer, Larry McMurtry, the Saint Louis, Missouri Native/moved to Arizona screenplay writer and the Moved to the USA Native Taiwanese director, Ang Lee followed Annie Proulx's Wyoming story more closely.

While Annie Proulx was not born in Wyoming, she has lived there long enough to understand how the locals speak the Wyoming version of the American English Language.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:16:36 pm by TJ »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:52 pm »
I have never seen the trailer and now I'm glad I haven't! The only problems I have with the movie are also in the story, so I'll have to go back to the source... First, Jack says he's "commuting four hours a day." Did people "commute" back in 1963 and, if so, did they do so in the boonys and on horseback? I kinda doubt it. Also, Jack says he was "thinking out loud." This was in the 80s that he said this so I guess I will let it pass, but it's an obviously modern expression. Finally, kicking L.D.'s ass "into next week." Didn't this phrase become popular only after the "Back to the Future" movies?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

TJ

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2006, 01:33:53 pm »
Front-Ranger, according to your profile, you are at least 9 years younger than me. I am 63 as most members know.

I have read figures of speech and certain expressions which were supposed to have been said 40 to 100 years ago in the Western USA (West of the Mississippi River) and they seemed to be modern expressions.

But, in doing academic style research in books at local libraries, I found those expression did exist at the time the modern writers said they did.

When I was in the US Army and in Basic Training at Ft. Polk, Louisiana, I heard the expression said by drill instructors, "I am going to kick your ass into next week." While they could say that to a trainee, they would get into trouble if they actually did it. While I never had a drill sergeant threaten to kick my ass, I had more than one threaten to kick me in the ribs because they thought that I was not doing enough pushups to make myself have a stronger grip to go on the horizontal ladder. My arms were actually strong enough to hold me up; the real problem of the grip was actually in my hands (but, the ignorant NCOs were too dense to know that).

In the 1950s and 1960s, I heard people say they "were thinking out loud." And some said when they were actually sitting down and thinking silently, "I was just sittin' here studyin'." That "studyin'" expression was in the very same category as Ennis's "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinkin about you."

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2006, 05:48:11 pm »

Hi All,

I have to agree with Flash - I've only been gone a few days and you all are suggesting that BBM is not perfect?   :o

The only thing I would change is 'A love that will never grow old' playing on the radio for such a short time. I would have had it play out on the soundtrack for a little longer. Same for 'I don't want to say Goodbye.'   

Jake is definitely perfect, yes? Please don't ruin all my illusions on the same day.  :)

lots of love everyone,
Reanna
I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2006, 05:16:38 pm »
Sooo...I had not heard about an extended closet scene! 

Any news on that?   :o  I'd love to see it.  Please?
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline assassinofjoy

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2006, 05:16:43 am »
I love the movie just as it is ... *waits for dem tomatoes* ... but as mentioned many times here, I wouldn't have minded to see a little more affection between the boys, or at least more on Ennis' part. There's one deleted scene out there (I think it's supposed to take place during the reunion trip) where Jack is shirtless and standing on a log from a distance, with Ennis watching him silently -- even that little bit would have done it for me.

And ummm ... extended closet scene? Dude. I want  O0

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2006, 09:03:01 pm »

If there is a recording out there like this, I would be happy to host it here if someone wants to upload it to me.  Just private message me and I'll provide an ftp link and make it available to everyone.  If there is a videotape or DVD and you need encoding it for presentation digitally here, I can assist with that as well.  Just let me know!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

TJ

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2006, 09:37:47 pm »
Sooo...I had not heard about an extended closet scene! 

Any news on that?   :o  I'd love to see it.  Please?

Which closet, the one up at Lightning Flat, or in Ennis's misplaced in the movie Riverton trailer in the country?

In the book, the shirts were in a makeshift closet which had a curtain covering and Ennis never put the shirts in any closet, he put them on the wall of his trailer on the Stoutamire ranch at/near Signal.

Oh, from what I understand, Signal was close to (or in) the Tetons; but, in viewing the DVD with a guest today I pointed out that when Ennis talks to the Alma Jr. about working, he mentions a coming round-up in the Tetons.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:12 pm »
If there is a recording out there like this, I would be happy to host it here if someone wants to upload it to me.  Just private message me and I'll provide an ftp link and make it available to everyone.  If there is a videotape or DVD and you need encoding it for presentation digitally here, I can assist with that as well.  Just let me know!

Please do :).  I noticed that this discussion has been referenced on another BBM related website and some people came here and joined BetterMost for that very reason. 

Offline doxito

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2006, 06:30:56 am »
Please do :).  I noticed that this discussion has been referenced on another BBM related website and some people came here and joined BetterMost for that very reason. 
I am one of thoose...  ;) .....I am so praying that someone gets this clip up asap....I am totally obsessed with BBM..... :D Please, I am dying to see this scene....... :'(

Online Petition - BBM - Special DVD Edition
Sign on here http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/297966219 !

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2006, 12:30:45 pm »
:) RT - now you've done it!!  You simply must post that extended scene - there will be no living with us until you find it and let us see for ourselves - like elephants - we don't forget!............................... :laugh:

Your quite right we dont forget, so come on, whose got the link to this extended scene then?  Hurry up and post it fgs and put us all out of our misery!!.  WHY didnt they have it in the final cut??  >:(
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2006, 01:06:31 pm »

I'll get it to you.   

rt

Was this scene ever posted???

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2006, 04:35:33 am »
1.During the lake scene confrontation (which I love, so put down those tomatoes, please! ;)), Jack looks like Yosemite Sam. I think it's the outline the hat, the boots, and even the jacket.

Ennislovesjack:

Tomatoes indeed!  Nice overripe mushy ones to you!  :P   Now, thanks to you, I laughed at Jake at the lake scene confrontation, :o  Can you imagine!  This is akin to blasphemy, and I blame you for this!  :P  Thanks a LOT!!! ;)

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2006, 05:39:41 am »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2006, 07:30:18 am »
My only complaint is the scene where Jack and Ennis part after the summer.

Why wouldn't Jack have offered Ennis a ride?   They both went the same direction when they left the trailer.     

Well, obviously we needed to see Ennis have his big emotional breakdown.  But Ang should have shot that scene where Jack drives off the opposite direction.  He could still look in the rear view mirror and see Ennis walking the other way.