Author Topic: EDITS, TRANSITIONS -- Where do they work best?  (Read 7379 times)

rtprod

EDITS, TRANSITIONS -- Where do they work best?
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

Me again.   :)

Okay, there are several transitions in the film that are just beautifully handled, and I'll give you two of my favorites, then we can jump off from there. 

1. BEST -- Ennis rolls Alma over and begins, um, doing his thing.  We then cut to Jack astride a bucking bull.  LOL.  How awesome is that?

2. SECOND BEST -- After Ennis gets beat up on Thanksgiving, the slow fade out and then fade in to the tranquility of Jack and Ennis together, the mainstay in his turbulent life, always chokes me up.  This guy can't get a break down in the real world, and can't live up in the other one. 

rt

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: EDITS, TRANSITIONS -- Where do they work best?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 02:52:16 pm »
2. SECOND BEST -- After Ennis gets beat up on Thanksgiving, the slow fade out and then fade in to the tranquility of Jack and Ennis together, the mainstay in his turbulent life, always chokes me up.  This guy can't get a break down in the real world, and can't live up in the other one.  

This fade out/fade in has to be one of my favorite scenes in the movie.  It was BREATHTAKING on the big screen when the fade in came in on the mountains, and then the camera panned down to them riding the horses!

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 03:08:56 pm »
Come on guys, you're all quiet.  I know someone else had to have loved that first one I mentioned....  lol

O0  (sorry)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:09:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

Me again.   :)

rt,

You are flooding the board today, don't you have work to do  :P

It's great to see the board is so alive this morning!  It has been quiet for a few days :)  Thanks for the thought-provoking posts!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:13:17 pm »
I haven't really thought about this issue and don't know if this one really "counts," but I like the transition of Ennis on this knees in the alley, then we begin to hear the minister reciting the Lord's Prayer, and then we're in the church for Ennis and Alma's wedding.

You're on a roll today, rt. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 03:23:42 pm »
What I call the "Turkey Transition" is my personal favorite - from Jack carving the turkey to Monroe and his electric carver.  Brilliant!!!!!!

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:27:36 pm »
Lol I like the "Turkey Transition" as well...

I like how the scene with them talking the day after the first tent scene ("You know I ain't queer" scene) goes to Ennis by the fire, really nervous, but really wanting to go inside the tent..with the music and everything it's really nice.

Ohh and the "less you want to sit around and tie knots all day.." to the sheep coming up on Brokeback
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:29:42 pm by EnnisDelMar »

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 03:28:24 pm »
I haven't really thought about this issue and don't know if this one really "counts," but I like the transition of Ennis on this knees in the alley, then we begin to hear the minister reciting the Lord's Prayer, and then we're in the church for Ennis and Alma's wedding.

You're on a roll today, rt. ...

Especially the part of the Lords prayer they're up to:  "And forgive us our trespasses..."
with Ennis' head bent like he's praying.

That was intentional and brilliant.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:28:38 pm »
I think the editing in this great film is masterful, if sometimes subtle in its effects. The scene of the lakeside quarrel, when Jack grabs hold of Ennis to comfort him, cutting away to that beautiful flashback sequence, where we see Ennis embracing Jack with such quiet tenderness, is mesmerizing in its elegant mirroring quality. The one embrace, from early in the relationship, marked by optimism and a sense of profound connection, contrasted with the later one, tinged with disappointment and bitterness, overladen with a mood of desperate need. And then how the flashback shot of Jack watching Ennis ride away, with such tender love in his eyes, cuts back to middle-aged Jack, watching Ennis drive away, the years of stifled dreams etched in his lonely face--very powerful, and beautifully done.

I also find Ennis's POV imagery of Jack's supposed murder, contrasted so crisply and bitterly with Lureen's clinical, dispassionate account, to be strikingly effective.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:30:25 pm by moremojo »

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:57:49 pm »
You are flooding the board today, don't you have work to do 

It's great to see the board is so alive this morning!  It has been quiet for a few days   Thanks for the thought-provoking posts!

THANK you guys, just wanted to stir a few things up today.  Nice responses from everyone.

Why isn't anyone commenting on my alma/bull edit????   LOLOL

rt