Author Topic: Getting to know you, part 2  (Read 10708 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: Getting to know you, part 2
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 11:52:40 am »
I've been out of touch so long, I figure I need some re-introductions:

21) Bad habit: Getting to bed too late

22) Hidden stash of adult material: Hidden?  Is anything on a computer hidden?  ;)

23) Best halloween costume: I once dressed up in a paisley robe and some flashy pj's and called myself a Prince protegee

24) Favorite Magazine: The Advocate

25) Favorite smells: food cooking

26) Favorite sounds: music, laughter, the alarm clock (j/k about that last one)

27) Worst feeling in the world: Being alone and depressed (ohmigod I pasted this from the person who started the thread, but me too!

28) 1st thing you think of when I wake up: How much more time do I have before I REALLY have to get out of bed?

29) Favorite color: goldenrod

30) Future child's names & why: male or female: Carlos or Elsa

31) important thing in life: Accept the things I cannot change, change the things I can

32) Favorite foods: Carnitas Burrito Bol

33) Storms; cool or scary? scary

34) first car: never had one (!)

35) 1 person I would want to meet-dead or alive:  James Baldwin

36) My dream job: A brilliant psychotherapist and teacher

37) Ever been in love: Yup

38) Glass 1/2 empty or full: Somewhere in the middle

39) Favorite sport to watch: swimming

40) Tell an embarrasing story about myself: when I was a kid I sucked at softball. Once during a game I got hit in the back by the guys playing on the field behind us.  They came over and were rubbing my back to make sure I was OK, and I liked that better than playing softball.
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 01:34:26 pm »
Hey, Juan! Nice to see you around these parts! It's been a while. :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 12:02:09 am »
As an allergy sufferer, the very thought makes me sneeze. But I'm curious; was she named Layla after Eric Clapton's Layla?

Yes, indeed.  We wanted to name her after the title of a song.  So we went through the whole litany - Lola, Rhiannon, Sara, Roxanne, Sharona.  But we kept coming back to Layla.  Her "real" name was Charme Vom Zwillingbach of Wilmington (as in Ohio).  She was AKC.  We went that route only because we wanted a German shepherd and didn't want to end up with one with hip dysplasia like one I had as a child who suffered terribly from it.  The breeders could "certify" that she wouldn't have it (they X-rayed all their dogs to prove it).  And they were true to their word.  She never had any hip problems.  And she lived to a ripe old age of 14 - quite an accomplishment for a 90-pound dog.  We always joked about how very sensitive she was for such a tough-looking dog - how our other shepherd was tough as nails but she was the "soft" one.  Turns out we were wrong.  When she finally collapsed on her last day and we took her to our vet and she was X-rayed, it turned out cancer was all through her.  She was so big that we couldn't feel any growths on her - they were all inside.  She must have been in excruciating pain for who knows how long.  But she never showed it.  She ate like a recently released POW until her final day.  And her eyes were as bright and alert on her last day as they were on the first day we saw her at eight weeks old.

Three years later, and I still miss her like it was yesterday.  We used to call her The Best Dog Ever.  On that count, we were right.

Gentle as a lamb.  Strong as an ox.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 01:20:43 am »
She must have been in excruciating pain for who knows how long.  But she never showed it.  She ate like a recently released POW until her final day.  And her eyes were as bright and alert on her last day as they were on the first day we saw her at eight weeks old.

Three years later, and I still miss her like it was yesterday.  We used to call her The Best Dog Ever.  On that count, we were right.

I'm sorry, Barb. She sounds like a wonderful dog, and I can imagine how hard that would be to see her go through.

Layla -- good choice. One of my all-time favorite songs.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 07:47:44 am »
Turns out we were wrong.  When she finally collapsed on her last day and we took her to our vet and she was X-rayed, it turned out cancer was all through her.  She was so big that we couldn't feel any growths on her - they were all inside.  She must have been in excruciating pain for who knows how long.  But she never showed it. 

I empathize with your loss, Barb. My darling German Shepherd, Toots, also died of cancer. She was my best friend and protector when I was a little boy. The cancer took her from us when she was only seven. Like Layla, she was a brave little soldier, right to the end.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 07:57:55 am »
Yes, indeed.  We wanted to name her after the title of a song.  So we went through the whole litany - Lola, Rhiannon, Sara, Roxanne, Sharona.  But we kept coming back to Layla.  Her "real" name was Charme Vom Zwillingbach of Wilmington (as in Ohio).  She was AKC.  We went that route only because we wanted a German shepherd and didn't want to end up with one with hip dysplasia like one I had as a child who suffered terribly from it.  The breeders could "certify" that she wouldn't have it (they X-rayed all their dogs to prove it).  And they were true to their word.  She never had any hip problems.  And she lived to a ripe old age of 14 - quite an accomplishment for a 90-pound dog.  We always joked about how very sensitive she was for such a tough-looking dog - how our other shepherd was tough as nails but she was the "soft" one.  Turns out we were wrong.  When she finally collapsed on her last day and we took her to our vet and she was X-rayed, it turned out cancer was all through her.  She was so big that we couldn't feel any growths on her - they were all inside.  She must have been in excruciating pain for who knows how long.  But she never showed it.  She ate like a recently released POW until her final day.  And her eyes were as bright and alert on her last day as they were on the first day we saw her at eight weeks old.

Gentle as a lamb.  Strong as an ox.

That's so sad, Barb, I am so sorry for your loss.... she has such a peaceful and happy look on her face, I bet she loved being with you. It doesn't get easier, does it, even after 3 years, I can imagine...