Author Topic: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...  (Read 74364 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2007, 01:41:42 pm »
There is also a growing suspicion that IMDb was actively deleting posts that referenced BetterMost, although I see a few of late have been left to stand.

I believe this is likely.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2007, 06:06:27 pm »
First, a hearty hello to everyone now arriving here from IMDb.  A huge percentage of our community are refugees from IMDb.  I myself spent huge amounts of my own life on IMDb trying to understand Brokeback Mountain and what it had done to change my life.  The inconvenience of the first wave of trolls was easy enough to escape in 2006 because of the sheer number of legitimate posts being left on the forum there.  Most of them were teens and 20-somethings, many of whom staged incursions from the Star Wars forum (go figure).

My issue with IMDb was that I needed a place to figure out how to take all of the emotional feelings I had about the film and channel them into making some productive changes in my life, and that is where BetterMost originated -- a forum that was willing to move beyond the film itself when needed to discuss the new sweet life that could be had by learning the lessons Annie Proulx taught about not allowing yourself to miss opportunities and not be yourself.  But we -all- regularly go back to the film for more discussion when the feeling strikes.

IMDb's biggest problem hit when trolls discovered they could wipe out huge swaths of messages, essentially "jamming" the forum and making it impossible to use for discussion.  While IMDb admins were doing their best to control abusive practices, it was made very clear to me and others that IMDb is -not- a forum site, and that their message forums are not a priority for them.

When these factors were taken into account, a large group of refugees arrived here just over a year ago and have represented a major backbone of what is BetterMost today, and it's nice to welcome another group of users here this year as well.

BetterMost is far beyond IMDb when it comes to running a forum.  We don't delete your messages (in fact, just about every message ever left on this forum since day one is still here), we don't allow personal attacks against our community, and trolls are eliminated within minutes, and banned from returning.

For those who would abuse our community, I have a track record of tracking them down, as I did last year in identifying one troll who spent his evenings trying to attack people on this site and IMDb from his dorm room near Binghamton, NY.  I filed a formal complaint with his school, and that put a stop to that trolling at once (and sent a message that we don't play around here.)

If you are overwhelmed by the number of forums here and the options that you have, that is normal.  If you are heavily into discussing the film, the forums that relate to Brokeback Mountain are mostly in the third section of the forum list, under the heading "Our Brokeback Mountain - The Movie, The Message & Its Impact."

Since BetterMost, Wyoming is our community, you'll find information about the site in our Town Hall.  For those who want a break from movie discussions, our community forums delve into all sorts of issues from culture, politics, and entertainment.  Don't forget Brokeback Mountain Radio 1, operating 24/7 -- great music from the soundtrack and songs that inspire.  You can find many late-breaking events on our forum home page on the newsbar (it's the bar with a picture or two and upcoming events, great threads, and other news tidbits.)

If you'd like a review of the history of BetterMost, I recorded a comprehensive review of our community's first year in our State of the Town Report back in the early spring.  It explains just about everything, as well as the direction we're goin'.  And in part two, you'll hear many of the voices of forum participants if you check out the recorded version.  It's all right here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8932.0.html

Again, welcome everyone, and if you need help, just let any of the online moderators know.  On the forum homepage, at the bottom, you'll see who is online.  Anyone colored "red" in the list is a moderator.  If you click on their name, you can send a private message (PM) and get any help you need!

Phillip M. Dampier
Your Mayor
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2007, 06:39:13 pm »
I looooved that bettermost town address Phillip! (and loving the new summer-y wallpaper!) Thanks once again for our refuge but now home,

xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2007, 12:02:15 pm »
Even tho this is on the news on the home page, I want to make a suggestion for a thread for all my old IMDb buds to go have a look. (And any of my new Brokie pals who haven't been over there yet, too!!)  It has pictures of some of the most phenomenal shrines to Brokeback Mountain!!! Ya'll gotta see these:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6947.0.html
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2007, 03:53:24 pm »
Calling all new folks!  Calling all old folks!  Calling everyone in between!  We will be having two chats to welcome the new folks.  The first is tomorrow, June 16th at 9am PT/noon ET/16:00 UTC.

We've been finding that Saturday daytime chats seem to draw people from the most diverse locations.  This will be an easy-going, get to know each other time, where you can learn the chat ins and outs, or help others, if you've already developed some chat techno-skills yourself.

See you tomorrow!  (Click on the blue "CHAT" button near the top of the screen, and it will guide you there.)

Clarissa
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:05:25 pm by Ellemeno »

injest

« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2007, 11:56:59 pm »
Hey!

I told you we were glad you are here...well, Phillip is so happy to see ya'll he has opened up a new forum for ya'll to archive any threads from IMDb you want to save!

Here is the link

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/board,61.0.html

Feel free to copy over any thread about BBM that you want to rescue!

PS...we think you will recognize the moderator.... ;) ;)

If you have any questions just drop us a note!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2007, 11:30:02 am »
Chat to welcome the New Folks in less than half an hour!

See our news banner for directions in.  All BetterMostians welcome!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php

:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2007, 12:00:04 am »
I'm sorry to have missed the chat -- I had to work. How was it?!?  ??? :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:34:41 am by ineedcrayons »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2007, 12:38:16 am »
The chat was very nice.  Lots of people showed up, although only two newbies made it: TOoP/Bruce and SmellyKellyJay.  Among other things, we talked about a New York get-together the weekend of October 13 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the story and maybe see Jake in a play.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2007, 03:45:46 am »
It was fun, but short notice.  The next RILLY BIG CHAT will be June 24th for the 40th Anniversary of the Reunion.  There should be a thread about it soon in the Social Events Forum.

Remember, y'all, if you are interested in participating in chat (and it's really very fun), you will have to have a recent version of Java installed on your computer.  It was a bummer to have people tell me they couldn't get in to chat today, but who didn't have current Java.  It's FREE and useful for other online things.