Author Topic: Do you believe in fairies?  (Read 7821 times)

moremojo

Do you believe in fairies?
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:06:33 pm »
UFO's and ET's have their adherents, Sasquatch and Nessie have their dedicated cryptozoologists on their tracks, and even ghosts and sorcery are given credence by many, but perhaps no folk belief seems as peculiar to us now than the notion that mysterious, often little, and frequently magical beings share our world with us, sometimes intruding into our realm to cause mischief or to render aid, locked in an ancient symbiotic relationship with us but usually on the periphery of our vision. Belief in such beings is a cross-cultural phenomenon, ranging from western Europe to traditional China, even onto the Hawaiian islands and some Native American tribes of North America, but the usual cultural icon of the 'fairy' owes much to the concepts that evolved on that subject in the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon cultures of the British Isles. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes, is one of the more prominent recent Britons who claimed belief in the little people; the great Romantic poet William Blake once thought he observed a fairy funeral in his garden.

So what is your verdict? For myself, I would normally give the notion little credence, were it not for two members of my family having experienced encounters that could well fall into this category. When I was about twelve, my mother woke one night to see a little man, who she described as gnome-like and wearing what appeared to be blue overalls, standing by her bed and regarding her with what she described as a horrible expression. She felt great fear, but could not move her body or speak, and eventually, in her helpless state, fell back asleep. Many years later, my sister, while relaxing near a body of water on a visit to Cloudcroft, New Mexico, noticed, not far from her, a group of little people playing in the water. My sister recognized the distinct oddness of what she was seeing, but felt no fear, and took calm delight in watching this unusual display, until she saw them no more.

My mother's experience bears strong resemblance to many alien abduction scenarios, and indeed some, like author Jacques Vallee, argue that the UFO phenomenon is but a modern manifestation of the same kind of experiences our forebears described as fairy encounters. Yet others contend that fairies represent a dim memory of small hominid beings that once shared the earth with 'modern' humans, who have since become extinct or gone into hiding, and have been invested in the imagination of humans with magical powers. The stories of the Menehune in the Hawaiian islands and some scattered accounts in various North American Native American tribes seem to parallel this argument, and the fascinating if controversial evidence of a small-statured, now vanished people on the island of Flores in present-day Indonesia would seem to lend this interpretation some credence.

So, for now, my own vote goes for 'Not sure, but open to the possibilty'. What about you?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Do you believe in fairies?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »
I'm open to the possibility, Scott. There are MANY things out there in space, and even here on earth we don't know about or understand. Many people believed in them years ago, and there are fairy stories from all parts of the world; some of them very old. Isn't it strange that people from all corners of the world believed in them, long before there were telephones and televisions? Even many Native American tribes believed in faries, although they didn't refer to them as fairies. But it was the same concept.

So, I do think there's a possibility of their existence.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:53:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply, David! Looks like we're on the same page as this one. :D I am aware that some Native American peoples had 'fairy' traditions, but know very little about them. Did/do the Lakota Sioux have such beliefs? If so, could you by any chance share the Lakota term for such a being?

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:59:56 pm »
YES !

I still believe in fairy tales; even in modern guises, still beautiful, still meaningful, and still moving in our imaginations to make our life rich and deep.   SO, Yes I believe in fairies, leprechauns, banshees, trolls, monsters, demons, angels, unicorns, winged horses, mermaids, nymphs, witches, wizards, princesses, princes, sirens, the Cyclops, Paul Bunyan, his blue ox Babe, knights in shining armor Elves Rudolph The Grinch and Santa Claus.   You could say I’m a dreamer and a fool but I love that there are some things in life that we don't have to see or touch to know they are real.  Besides I’m always holding out for a hero 
Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:55 pm »
Dot, I wish you could see the big ear-to-ear grin your wonderful post brought to my face! :D It is so important always to hold on to our dreams, and remember to see the poetry in all that surrounds us.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply, David! Looks like we're on the same page as this one. :D I am aware that some Native American peoples had 'fairy' traditions, but know very little about them. Did/do the Lakota Sioux have such beliefs? If so, could you by any chance share the Lakota term for such a being?

Yes Scott! Although their fairies were slightly different than the European/Western fairies.

My mother, who was 1/2 Lakota called them wanagi witk'te (magical ghosts).  :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:22:12 am »
Dottie.

I really do enjoy all your great smileys!!!

I also believe that their are all sorts of spiirits and forces out there that we can't see or understand, whether they are fairies, angels, or whatever else.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 12:25:14 am »
Dottie.

I really do enjoy all your great smileys!!!

I also believe that their are all sorts of spiirits and forces out there that we can't see or understand, whether they are fairies, angels, or whatever else.

I do too Marleen! I always look forward to reading Dottie's posts; partly because she's always so insightful, and partly because of all the great smileys and animation she uses.

I love it, love it, love it!!!  8)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 12:27:30 am »
And I enjoy your posts too, David, and your great (odd?) polls. ;D

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 09:59:56 am »
My mother, who was 1/2 Lakota called them wanagi witk'te (magical ghosts).  :)
Thank you so much, David! I just learned something today.  :D I know very little about Native American myth and folklore, but am very curious about that subject. One of my favorite stories anywhere is the beautiful Lakota Sioux legend of White Buffalo Woman.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:16:44 am »

Well folksies, I hate to be the splash of cold water on this party, but I dont think I ever believed in fairies, except for in story and myth.  My childhood books had many tales, and i loved to read it...but really believe no;;;
But I do believe in Santa.........tee hee

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 10:53:28 pm »
My vote:

Not sure, but open to the possibility.

I have had one experience that convinced me that, yes, there are UFO's.

And I definitely believe in angels.

So, just because I have never experienced seeing a fairy--to me--does not mean they don't exist.

I loved the story about your sister, moremojo, who saw some little people playing in the water. How enchanting that must have been!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 01:14:19 am »

Oh, yes, I absolutely believe they exist. Though I have never seen them, I have sometimes felt their presence so tangibly, I have been sure they were very close to me. I experience their presence as a very warm, comforting, loving feeling, or vibration if you like, though I have no doubt that they are capable of being quite mischievous and sometimes malicious when provoked. There is a rainforest I sometimes visit, where they reside, I have no doubt. One can almost hear them scurrying through the underbrush, peeking at me as I pass by. I like to think of them as being the more frivolous manifestations of the Gods of the North, the East, the South and the West; and the Gods of the Earth, the Air, of Fire and of Water.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 09:37:54 am »
Kerry, do you know if there are any fairy traditions/beliefs among the Aboriginal peoples of your country? In light of your own perceptions and experiences, it sounds like there very well might be, considering how closely the Aboriginal peoples historically lived in communion with nature.

Thanks for the votes and replies, everyone!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 10:03:45 am »
Kerry, do you know if there are any fairy traditions/beliefs among the Aboriginal peoples of your country? In light of your own perceptions and experiences, it sounds like there very well might be, considering how closely the Aboriginal peoples historically lived in communion with nature.

Thanks for the votes and replies, everyone!

The Aboriginal people of Australia have a rich spiritual tradition, Scott. They refer to it as the Dreamtime and each person has an individual Dreaming of their own. Alas, I fear I do not know a great deal about their culture.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 06:35:10 am »
I went Googling for "Findhorn fairies" to tell you about them, and came across this:

7th Annual Fairy & Human Relations Congress
June 22nd - 24th, 2007
Skalitude Retreat Center ~ Twisp ~ Methow Valley ~ North Cascades ~ WA
http://www.fairycongress.com/index.htm

This is not that far from me.  How odd.  And Dorothy MacLean, one of the founders of Findhorn, will be speaking. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 12:28:18 pm »
I went Googling for "Findhorn fairies" to tell you about them, and came across this:

7th Annual Fairy & Human Relations Congress
June 22nd - 24th, 2007
Skalitude Retreat Center ~ Twisp ~ Methow Valley ~ North Cascades ~ WA
http://www.fairycongress.com/index.htm

This is not that far from me.  How odd.  And Dorothy MacLean, one of the founders of Findhorn, will be speaking. 

Wow, those folks are serious about their fairies.  I love that.  8)

You oughta go, Clarissa.  High class entertainment!  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 03:59:21 pm »
Thanks for that interesting link, Clarissa! That does sound like it would be a lot of fun--and it sounds like some of those folks should drop in here sometime to vote in my poll! :D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 11:08:40 pm »
All you guys know I'm a neo-pagan, so yes, I believe in nature spirits/fairies/sidhe whatever you want to call them.  Have I seen any?  No. Have I felt their presence or seen the results of their presence?  Yes.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 03:07:03 am »
This paintings title is "Fairies"

Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 10:43:01 am »
That's a lovely picture, Dot! We can always rely on you to find us the most interesting illustrations. :D

I remember seeing a line of homoerotic novels advertised in one of my adult magazines as "Fairy Tales for Big Boys"! ::)