Author Topic: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup  (Read 16557 times)

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Scene 1: Jack getting out of pickup
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 12:50:22 am »
I never knew that......I'm like a babbling brook, especially when nervous, or anticipating a new job...those two would have fled to the hills if I were the third party!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
When I first saw the film, I thought they were checking each other out (and being rather wary of each other) more on a professional-rivalry level... as if thinking "what's this other guy doing here?" 

It wasn't until after seeing it several times and reading other observations (especially from gay men) that my interpretation changed (quite a bit).

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:28 pm »
    I had the opinion for a very long time, that they were sizing each other up.  Specially Ennis.  They probably didn't know
there was going to be more than one hire.  They were probably figuring it was one guy only.  Specially Jack, because he
had been there before, and we know nothing of him having a partner up there.  But Ennis's life was probably more dependent on his getting the job, because he had hiked there, and had no where else to go...Period.
    When he did check him out though, he looked to be a very fit person for the job.  Plus quite handsome.  Any man that
has the gay mindset then probably was going to check him out in another direction.  He felt quite abated by Ennis's
demeanor however, so he latched onto the way of checking him out on the sly.  By his surreptitious shave in the rear view
mirror.  Thus being able to check him out quite thoroughly, without detection.
     Ennis being scared of his own mind and shadow, was just trying with all his might to see Jack for what he was, and at the
same time, not be obvious at doing so.  I think that was why the friendship started to warm up soon after they found out
that they were both going to be taken on.  Not just one of them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:27:35 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind