Author Topic: Hi from Carps1000  (Read 3554 times)

Carps1000

Hi from Carps1000
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:04:31 pm »
Hi. Im new to this forum. Firstly just like to say thankyou for starting this site. My name is Ken Im 45 & live in the UK. Heres a quickie on my view of this film.
I  first saw the odd advertisment for the fim & took no notice of it as I am not a lover of "cowboy" films & altho a few people mentioned it to me along the way knowing that as a gay guy I might be interested in seeing it.....No thanks not interested ta was always my reply. But then sommat happened... I kept on seeing it advertised on the net & out of curiosity logged onto a site where the trailers were playing & got so involved that I just had to see it..I very naughtily asked a freind if he could get me a "pirate" (I know bad Carps1000) & as luck would have it I got a tired old demo..That night I sat down & watched what has become one of the most greatest  in my view of all films of all times..I was stunned..not by the brilliant acting but the scenary,storyline & the whole utter sadness & emotional heartbreak of it all. This film utterly destroyed me & to date I have seen it 17 times hoping to catch something new  in it that I might of missed on the previous viewing. For a week I was so sad angry & depressed by the film that I was logging onto all sites I could find asking questions about it. I have even started asking around for permission so as I can write a sequell to it such is the lasting impact it has left on me. Straight into my all time Top 10 films of all time at No1 its gone. Now Im a normal no nonsense cleverish guy but this film has really got to me & I know Im not the only one. I hope it wins every Oscar going because it really is the best. I also get so annoyed by other peoples reaction to it saying its rubbish/garbage/not true to live & puts gay men to shame but unfortunatly its very much true to life, especially to the men in those times living in those conditions etc....& sorry to say in some cases still are. Some people seem to "Poo Poo" it & really have no idea about what its about if they ever saw it in the 1st place. Each to their own I say, but I LOVED IT. Ken.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 05:08:43 pm by Carps1000 »

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Hi from Carps1000
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:06:44 pm »
Hi. Im new to this forum. Firstly just like to say thankyou for starting this site. My name is Ken Im 45 & live in the UK.

Welcome!  I am quickly thinking we are seeing more international users on here than Americans.  I wonder if that has to do with a delayed film run abroad bringing people into BBM forums because the impact is still fresh, as opposed to people who saw it back in December and are now moving on waiting for [gulp] Basic Instinct 2.

This film utterly destroyed me & to date I have seen it 17 times hoping to catch something new  in it that I might of missed on the previous viewing. For a week I was so sad angry & depressed by the film that I was logging onto all sites I could find asking questions about it. I have even started asking around for permission so as I can write a sequell to it such is the lasting impact it has left on me. Straight into my all time Top 10 films of all time at No1 its gone. Now Im a normal no nonsense cleverish guy but this film has really got to me & I know Im not the only one. I hope it wins every Oscar going because it really is the best. I also get so annoyed by other peoples reaction to it saying its rubbish/garbage/not true to live & puts gay men to shame but unfortunatly its very much true to life, especially to the men in those times living in those conditions etc....& sorry to say in some cases still are. Some people seem to "Poo Poo" it & really have no idea about what its about if they ever saw it in the 1st place. Each to their own I say, but I LOVED IT. Ken.

Welcome to the group support forum.   :)  Honestly, most of us have been where you are.  Many of us still are.  As I think you're going to discover, the answer to BBM isn't in writing a sequel, unless it's about you.  Annie Proulx honestly had no idea of the impact this thing would have on a lot of us.  But her casual comment that people need to finish the story in their own life turned out to be as deep as the deepest canyon in the Rockies.

As to whether it wins an Oscar, we'll find out tomorrow.  The Hollywood-based radio chat shows have been obsessing about the Academy Awards all week, and especially Friday.  Most think BBM will get Best Picture because it is a sentimental love story that those are Oscar favorites everytime, just like Titanic.  Crash is seen as its only competitor for Best Picture.

For Heath Ledger, he has his own mountain to climb to get Best Actor. Philip Seymour Hoffman is still favored to win that award.  He's a local favorite for us, as he grew up in Rochester, New York (in a suburb - Fairport). 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming