Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2121653 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #720 on: July 06, 2007, 12:29:04 am »
read, laugh, smile, fan my face, tear up... I'm starting to feel like my old self again.  I must be!  I feel like posting a steamy story.

Great to hear, Spicey!!

He would always regret not being able to love Jack openly and take him up on his suggestion of a "Sweet Life," but he now realized how much Jack really loved him and he could carry that knowledge with him forever, not as a secret sorrow, but as a reminder that their love was beautiful and that he, Ennis, was loveable.  He must now have the courage to open himself up to new possibilities.

Merr--very nice fanfic! This segment kinda sums up one of the themes of Brokeback Mountain to me. Sometimes hope springs out of regret if we let it. That's a life lesson, huh?

with every laugh, there is a tear.

So true, Littlewing. Beautiful story.

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Lost Boys
« Reply #721 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:04 am »
Lost Boys by garycottle

Ennis awoke with a start, and at first he didn’t know where he was, but when he looked up and saw the familiar pattern of the cracked plaster on the ceiling overhead he realized that he was in the apartment he shared with Alma and his daughters.  It was summer and the washing machines and dryers downstairs had been going all day, thus making the small, confined space steamy.  The nubby material of the worn couch he laid on was clammy and damp.  His hair was dripping with sweat also, and when he touched his bare chest he found that it was slick.

He thought about sitting upright, but just then he remembered that he had the strangest dream while he slept.  Jack and he had decided to go off to be together, and they ended up someplace back east where the woods were thick and green and the air was so humid that it was like walking through a wet, warm cloud.  They found a big old house just outside of a small village that rented cheap, but the only catch was the lease stipulated that only one person could live there.  So Ennis ended up sleeping in a room down in the basement, and Jack was the only one who ever went into town. 

The townsfolk must have found out that they had broken the rules, and that the two of them had been living in the old house together, because one day Jack didn’t come home, and then Ennis looked out the basement window and saw a group of unfriendly men being led by the local sheriff come up the road.

As Ennis sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, Alma Jr., who was sitting in the floor in front of the TV with her baby sister, said, “Great, now he’s awake.”  The end credits of the program they had been watching were rolling.

When Ennis looked directly at his eldest he saw her annoyed expression was mixed with love and acceptance.  “Did I snore or somethin’?”

“No, but you did make it kind of hard to follow the story,” Jenny said without looking back.

For a week the girls had been talking about their plans to watch Salem’s Lot, and it saddened Ennis to know that he may have spoiled it for them.

“Well, what did I do?” he said with a note of contrition.

Alma, who was sitting in the corner chair reading one of those Harlequin romance novels, piped up and said in an edgy voice, “You kept saying, ‘No, Jack!  No!’”

“Isn’t your fishin’ buddy named Jack, Daddy?” asked Alma Jr.

“Go to bed, girls,” Alma said sharply.

Ennis buried his face in his hands and mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

Nice writing! Great sensory images, Gary. Very easily visualized/felt!! That hot sweaty feeling upon waking up on that kind of material--the steamy air  from the laundry--the cracked plaster. Ennis's dream stemming from his fear of other's finding out about him and Jack.  Masterfully written setting.  You rock!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #722 on: July 06, 2007, 12:56:37 am »
Thank you so much Marie.  It took so much prodding and you're right, it does take a lot out of you when you write about our boys.  I was making myself sad during the whole birthing process. 

I really appreciate your comments sweetie. 

Love,

Merrily

You're very welcome, Merr!  Your story made me feel all warm and snuggly inside.  I'm getting a glow just thinking about it!  Your story is just that good!

Dagi

« Reply #723 on: July 06, 2007, 02:00:36 am »
Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Merr?  This is beautiful, my dear!  I thoroughly enjoyed reading every word.  I love how you fleshed out this amazing scene.  The ending I found the most entralling:

I want more of your writing!  I know the process can take a lot out of you, but if you find it within you, please continue to write.  You'll find that writing about our boys is very rewarding, and can be downright fun.  Lovely work, Merr!

So true what Marie sad! You did it! We feel very honored that you shared your first attempt with us! Lovely writing, as I already told you. One can tell that it comes from your very heart! Yes, we want more!  :-*

Dagi

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #724 on: July 06, 2007, 02:37:13 am »
Merrily, don't worry about that.  I can't either.  I don't think I've ever written even one fanfic that adheres to Toycoon's three sentence rule.  Just keep writing

Toycoon is a sweet, sugary, mush-daddy -- he lets us (ya'll) get away with EVERYTHING!!

He's at the beach right now, so ya'll don't have to tell him I said that!!

From

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dagi

Re: To Remember Happier Days
« Reply #725 on: July 06, 2007, 05:55:03 am »
Jack Twist watched Ennis walk away with a sadness he couldn't find the center of.  He sighed as he returned to the tent to continue packing his gear, get ready to return to the real world.  Ennis was already at camp, and must have discarded his bloody shirt to wash later, and changed into the only other shirt he owned.  Jack sat still, as every movement split his head, hurt his heart.

He had an idea: just a spur of the moment thought.  Looking both ways, Jack swiped Ennis’ bloody shirt, and stored it with his own meager belongings.  He didn’t know exactly what he would do with Ennis’ shirt, but he knew why he took it.

“I’m not mad at you, Ennis.”  Jack thought as he continued to pack his things.  He imagined himself in his bedroom up at Lightning Flats; Ennis’ shirt draped over a chair.  Jack saw himself caressing the shirt, outlining the collar soil with a finger.  He’ll drape the sleeves around his neck, imagine being held by his love – remember happier days.  But he will never wash Ennis’ shirt.  The blood is a reminder of the hurt he experienced as they parted ways that magical summer.  Jack learned a bitter lesson that summer: with every laugh, there is a tear.

Littlewing, I love the way you make me feel sad....the image of Jack embraced by the shirts instead of his lover makes me tear up. I just love Jack so much i want to hold him and comfort him  :'(. Thank you, honey!

Dagi

Dagi

« Reply #726 on: July 06, 2007, 03:29:54 pm »
Ah thank you Gary honey .... perhaps I should write a part 3 to give Jack a turn!

Oh Susie, that was so funny and lovely! I love them fooling around, love to imagine Ennis smiling, even laughing, that brings a broad, foolish grin on my face!

Thank you so much for reposting this! I´m just writing a sad one again, I needed a good laugh.

Dagi

Dagi

Re: Happy 4th of July, Ennis Del Mar!
« Reply #727 on: July 06, 2007, 03:33:11 pm »
Truer words were never spoken, Dagi!! Ya always need a different one to mow the yard, grill the steaks, move the furniture, fix the car......

And there are some other things I can think of  :D ::)!

Dagi

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Lost Boys
« Reply #728 on: July 06, 2007, 03:56:52 pm »
Lost Boys by garycottle

Ennis awoke with a start, and at first he didn’t know where he was, but when he looked up and saw the familiar pattern of the cracked plaster on the ceiling overhead he realized that he was in the apartment he shared with Alma and his daughters.  It was summer and the washing machines and dryers downstairs had been going all day, thus making the small, confined space steamy.  The nubby material of the worn couch he laid on was clammy and damp.  His hair was dripping with sweat also, and when he touched his bare chest he found that it was slick.

He thought about sitting upright, but just then he remembered that he had the strangest dream while he slept.  Jack and he had decided to go off to be together, and they ended up someplace back east where the woods were thick and green and the air was so humid that it was like walking through a wet, warm cloud.  They found a big old house just outside of a small village that rented cheap, but the only catch was the lease stipulated that only one person could live there.  So Ennis ended up sleeping in a room down in the basement, and Jack was the only one who ever went into town. 

The townsfolk must have found out that they had broken the rules, and that the two of them had been living in the old house together, because one day Jack didn’t come home, and then Ennis looked out the basement window and saw a group of unfriendly men being led by the local sheriff come up the road.

As Ennis sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, Alma Jr., who was sitting in the floor in front of the TV with her baby sister, said, “Great, now he’s awake.”  The end credits of the program they had been watching were rolling.

When Ennis looked directly at his eldest he saw her annoyed expression was mixed with love and acceptance.  “Did I snore or somethin’?”

“No, but you did make it kind of hard to follow the story,” Jenny said without looking back.

For a week the girls had been talking about their plans to watch Salem’s Lot, and it saddened Ennis to know that he may have spoiled it for them.

“Well, what did I do?” he said with a note of contrition.

Alma, who was sitting in the corner chair reading one of those Harlequin romance novels, piped up and said in an edgy voice, “You kept saying, ‘No, Jack!  No!’”

“Isn’t your fishin’ buddy named Jack, Daddy?” asked Alma Jr.

“Go to bed, girls,” Alma said sharply.

Ennis buried his face in his hands and mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

Amazing story, Gary!  Awesome!  Very vivid and honest!  I was caught up in the scene, and I felt like I was there!  I'm sure Ennis had a lot of dreams about poor Jack, good and bad  So very sad it had to be like that!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: To Remember Happier Days
« Reply #729 on: July 06, 2007, 03:59:10 pm »
OMG!  Marie, did you and Merrily just bookend each other, or what?  That's amazing that Merrily would write her very first fanfic about Ennis finding the shirts in Jack's room, and you would write a fanfic about Jack taking Ennis's shirt.  And both of you would post within minutes of each other. 

You're story was so very sad.  It's so sweet that Jack needed to hold onto something that belonged to Ennis, but how awful that he couldn't simply hold on to Ennis himself.  And what a shame that if they did have to part for a while after that summer, Jack couldn't come right out and ask for the shirt.  So many secrets.  So many things left unsaid.

Gary

This is so strange, Gary!  I wrote this story months ago and made a few changes to it last night.  I don't know why I waited to post it.  I had no idea Merr would write a story about the shirts.  I guess we were on the same wavelength last night!