Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170438 times)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon
« Reply #2060 on: September 22, 2007, 03:00:30 pm »
He had no idea how Ennis would receive him, though he hoped against hope, it was with an embrace.

Boy, does he ever get more than an embrace! C'mon Ennis, give 'em something we can cling to...

Jack needed something real right now, he needed something to hold onto. Even if it was just hope. He glanced over at Ennis’ postcard on the passenger seat of the truck, touching it for reassurance. That little bit of hope in the river of despair, was exactly the lifeline propelling Jack Twist along his 14-hour journey north.

Honestly, we could make another complete film with all of the information we got going on here!
Let's have a fundraiser for "Brokeback Mountain, Jack with Ennis". Daphne can call Jake to see if he's available. Heath would be up for it!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2061 on: September 22, 2007, 10:03:50 pm »
Boy, does he ever get more than an embrace! C'mon Ennis, give 'em something we can cling to...   

Honestly, we could make another complete film with all of the information we got going on here!
Let's have a fundraiser for "Brokeback Mountain, Jack with Ennis". Daphne can call Jake to see if he's available. Heath would be up for it!

LOL..Hey, I'm all for it Toycoon! Maybe we need to start with a bake sale, or a car wash?!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2062 on: September 22, 2007, 10:05:32 pm »
BBM-Cat, this really speaks to Jack's longing and hope, and his nagging fears.  I imagine it was just like this for Jack on the drive up.  But we know that Jack need not have worried about what he'd say to Ennis.  Ennis took care of that problem for both of them by sticking his tongue down Jack's throat.    :P  Maybe that's what we should all do when we get tongue-tied.   :laugh:

Gary

Your right Gary, no words needed! EVER! It would solve a lot of problems, huh?! LOL
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: September 23rd, Late Afternoon
« Reply #2063 on: September 23, 2007, 01:01:39 am »
Hi there Littlewing,

I loved your description of Jack and Ennis taking shelter in the tent during a rain storm.  It's no fun when it rains while you're at camp.  But if you can manage to chill rather than becoming restless in your tent it can be relaxing.  And the sound of rain beating on a canvas tent is strangely comforting, sort of like rain hitting a tin roof.  And the smell of the woods after a rain is wonderful.

Gary

Thanks, Gary.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2064 on: September 23, 2007, 01:02:39 am »
Beautiful Littlewing, just knowing Jack and Ennis were content to be in each other's presence; that there were intimate moments like these. And, you portrayed Jack's anxiety wonderfully - I feel nervous for him! LOL

:)  Thanks for your kind words, BBM-Cat!  You always know the right thing to say!  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2065 on: September 23, 2007, 01:04:43 am »
That was a beautiful, peaceful flashback. I loved the line  Ennis sat next to Jack, content to be in his presence, grateful to be warm and dry. I'm sure he felt as warm inside as outside.....

And it's a real wonder that Jack reached Riverton, since driving absentmindedly is quite dangerous!

Dagi

You're right, Dagi!  I image Jack must have been terrified, conflicted, and had feeling of guilt about driving all that way to see Ennis.  But he was able to handle the jitters and make it to Riverton in one piece!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2066 on: September 23, 2007, 01:05:17 am »
This reminds me a little of the 'dozy embrace' memory we are all so familiar with. Great effect, Littlewing.

Thanks, Sweetie! :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2067 on: September 23, 2007, 01:07:25 am »
September 23rd, A Little Bit Later in the Afternoon by BBM-Cat

With the idle miles of driving, the thoughts in his head swirled and intensified with each passing hour. What was he doing driving all the way to Riverton, Wyoming? What was he goin’ to say to Ennis? Jack did not have a plan. All he knew was that he needed to reconnect with Ennis. Jack felt oddly detached recently, like an observer in his own life. He was not sure what was real anymore. He just needed to see Ennis. Just needed to hear his voice. To look into his friend’s eyes. ‘That’s all’, he told himself, believing that just seeing his old friend would be his rescue. 

While driving in the rain, Jack fantasized that Ennis would be equally glad and excited to see him. It was hard deciphering Ennis’ two-word reply from his postcard. He was supposedly married now. What if over the past four years he had forgotten or dismissed the special time they had shared together on the mountain? Jack recalled returning to Brokeback that following summer, only to discover that Ennis had not. Maybe it was a sign. Maybe Jack was the only one keeping the memory alive. His heart ached to think it could be true. The only person he had ever truly, felt connected with, and the feelings might not even still be there! He had no idea how Ennis would receive him, though he hoped against hope, it was with an embrace.

Jack needed something real right now, he needed something to hold onto. Even if it was just hope. He glanced over at Ennis’ postcard on the passenger seat of the truck, touching it for reassurance. That little bit of hope in the river of despair, was exactly the lifeline propelling Jack Twist along his 14-hour journey north.

BBM-Cat, this is beautifully written, authentic and exciting.  I especially like the idea of Jack keeping Ennis' postcard beside him on the seat and touching it for reassurance.  brilliant.  Thanks so much for this amazing addition to our series.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

September 23rd, Early Evening
« Reply #2068 on: September 23, 2007, 01:32:57 am »
September 23rd, Early Evening by Littlewing1957

Along about 4:00p.m., Jack was hungry and exhausted.  He packed a few sandwiches and had a cooler of drinks, but ate all the food miles ago in a fit of nerves.  He still had quite a few hours to go before reaching Riverton, but in addition to being hungry, Jack needed to stretch his legs a bit.  And to top things off, his eyes were blurry from all that squinting through the rain.  Time to stop.

A rest stop was just 2 miles away, according to a billboard Jack passed about 15 minutes ago.  He hated to stop, wanted to make good time to see his friend, but Jack also needed to take care of himself.  Just one more mile and he could take a breather, order a burger, and walk around a bit. 

The rain feel in sheets as Jack approached the rest stop.  So much for walking around!  He parked his truck among several other big rigs, campers, pickup trucks, and ran for the tiny diner that was situated right next to an old fashioned filling station.  The diner was practically empty, which suited Jack.  He seated himself and was given a menu by a handsome woman who wore jeans and a t-shirt.  Jack ordered a burger, fries and a coke and looked out the window; took in the scene.  There was not much to see – truckers entering and exiting the area – all trying hard to avoid getting drenched. 

The waitress brought Jack’s order and decided to engage him in a little small talk.  He didn’t mind, as it took his thoughts in another direction, comforting him.  He invited the woman to sit with him awhile and shoot the breeze.  It was so good to enjoy a truly decent burger while having pleasant conversation.  Jack felt refreshed as he paid his bill, left a large tip and ran back to his truck. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:46:25 pm by littlewing1957 »

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: September 23rd, Early Evening
« Reply #2069 on: September 23, 2007, 01:58:29 am »
September 23rd, Early Evening by Littlewing1957

Along about 4:00p.m., Jack was hungry and exhausted.  He packed a few sandwiches and had a cooler of drinks, but ate all the food miles ago in a fit of nerves.  He still had quite a few hours to go before reaching Riverton, but in addition to being hungry, Jack needed to stretch his legs a bit.  And on top things off, his eyes were blurry from all that squinting through the rain.  Time to stop.

A rest stop was just 2 miles away, according to a billboard Jack passed about 15 minutes ago.  He hated to stop, wanted to make good time to see his friend, but Jack also needed to take care of himself.  Just one more mile and he could take a breather, order a burger, and walk around a bit. 

The rain feel in sheets as Jack approached the rest stop.  So much for walking around!  He parked his truck among several other big rigs, campers, pickup trucks, and ran for the tiny diner that was situated right next to an old fashioned filling station.  The diner was practically empty, which suited Jack.  He seated himself and was given a menu by a handsome woman who wore jeans and a t-shirt.  Jack ordered a burger, fries and a coke and looked out the window; took in the scene.  There was not much to see – truckers entering and exiting the area – all trying hard to avoid getting drenched. 

The waitress brought Jack’s order and decided to engage him in a little small talk.  He didn’t mind, as it took his thoughts in another direction, comforting him.  He invited the woman to sit with him awhile and shoot the breeze.  It was so good to enjoy a truly decent burger while having pleasant conversation.  Jack felt refreshed as he paid his bill, left a large tip and ran back to his truck. 

Thank you Littlewing for your very kind comments on my continuation of your story, 'Late Afternoon'. This is such a wonderful continuation, depicting part of Jack's 14 hour journey on the road - I really wish that had been incorporated into the movie just a little bit, though you have had no difficulties helping fill in the 'missing scenes'. I'm glad that you gave poor Jack a rest break in your story! I thought he might wreck the truck 'redlining it', then driving thru the rainstorm, all the while contending with his thoughts/anxieties! LOL  How great the 24th is going to be!