Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170524 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Down
« Reply #2300 on: October 09, 2007, 09:55:08 pm »
Poor Jack, I really feel with him. It hurts so much being called a bad father or mother, but kids don´t realize what we do for them. They take it for granted, and they are right! And I bet almost every father or mother has heard things like that in their lives...but with his second remark Bobby hit a hot spot. Jack deserved to be comforted in such a sweet way!

Beautiful writing, Marie, you are one amazing woman.

Dagi

Thanks for your kind words, Dagi.  You're a sweetie!  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Ennis' Lament
« Reply #2301 on: October 10, 2007, 12:31:27 am »
Ennis' Lament by Littlewing1957

I’m lonely.  I’m alone.  My trailer is closing in on me day-by-day, threatening to crush the life out of me.  To think I had love.  Yes, he loved me—Jack Twist loved me!  I see that now, only it is too late.  And I loved him, but was too messed up to show it.  I couldn’t even own my love, wouldn’t even tell my sweet Jack just how much I cared for him. And now I’m suffering.  The wind, the snow and the rain are my only friends.  I feel so alone I’m wondering if I exist at all.  Jack Twist, please forgive me.  Forgive me, Jack.  Maybe in some distant reality I can call you husband.  In time when I have left this Earth, and if I am lucky to receive my reward, we can be together.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:43:21 pm by littlewing1957 »

Dagi

Re: Ennis' Lament
« Reply #2302 on: October 10, 2007, 12:57:34 am »
Ennis' Lament by Littlewing1957

I’m lonely.  I’m alone.  My trailer is closing in on me day-by-day, threatening to crush the life out of me.  To think I had love.  Yes, he loved me—Jack twist loved me!  I see that now, only it is too late.  And I loved him, but was too messed up to show it.  I couldn’t even own my love, wouldn’t even tell my sweet Jack just how much I cared for him. And now I’m suffering.  The wind, the snow and the rain are my only friends.  I feel so alone I’m wondering if I exist at all.  Jack Twist, please forgive me.  Forgive me, Jack.  Maybe in some distant reality I can call you husband.  In time when I have left this Earth, and if I am lucky to receive my reward, we can be together.

Oh Marie, it hurts reading this. I so hope Emma is about to knock on the door...
Dagi

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Ennis' Lament
« Reply #2303 on: October 10, 2007, 11:17:22 pm »
Hi there Littlewing,

I read Soren Kierkegaard back in college, and I learned that in his early days he was in love with a young woman.  But he felt compelled to let this young woman go because he thought he was meant to live a life of solitary reflection and contemplation.  But he never stopped pining for this young woman.  And I remember reading somewhere in his journals a very sad but loving passage where he speaks of living in quiet longing, and how the only thing that makes the pain bearable is faith that eternity will fulfill his hearts desire.  If I had my books with me I would look up the quote for you.

Anyway, that's what I thought of when I read your heartfelt, but very painful glimps into Ennis's mind.

Gary

I haven't read Kierkegaard since college.  Thanks for bringing him to my attention again, Gary. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Horror Month
« Reply #2304 on: October 10, 2007, 11:19:37 pm »
Hey you guys, if you don't mind, I'll be including Jack and Ennis "horror" stories along with the love stories.  It is only fitting since this is horror month.  If you want to play along, by all means, feel free!

Read on for the first supernatural story!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Boogie
« Reply #2305 on: October 11, 2007, 12:13:36 am »
Boogie by Littlewing1957

Jack looked at the golden skinned man with more than just a passing curiosity.  It never ceased to amaze him the diversity of rodeo jocks these days.  Jack met Asians, Africans, Native Americans, along with white guys who came from both old and new money.  But the golden skinned man was so exotic with his Slavic features and strong, muscular build.  He wore colorful head scarves and white shirts. Jack was naturally intrigued.  The golden skinned man's name was Jonathan, and his home was The Dominican Republic.

Jonathan was not a very strong bull rider, but he did manage to take home his fair share of winnings.  And whenever Jonathan took the top prize, he treated Jack to a drink at a dive bar called “Basket of Guts.”  Jack never refused an offer of free whiskey, and when The Dominican asked him out, Jack agreed.  They sat at the bar and got to know one another.  Jack heard all about Jonathan’s early life in The Dominican Republic, but Jack was less than forthcoming.  He told Jonathan about his childhood in lightning Flat, but left out the story of how he met the love of his life, Ennis Del Mar.  Jack found it too painful to talk about Ennis, even as a friend.  It was no one else’s business. 

Along about midnight, Jack and Jonathan were getting pretty plastered.  Jack bought a round of drinks, spending money he didn’t have.  But he was warming to the young Dominican and wanted to keep the conversation going.

“Did you ever have a dog?”  It was Jonathan, his words slurred almost beyond comprehension.  Jack placed his shot glass to his mouth, pausing for a moment.

“Yeah, I did,” Jack began.  “His name was Boogie.  I named him that because his tail would wag whenever I put on some peppy music.”  Jonathan laughed at this.

“You said was?”  Jonathan asked.  “I guess Boogie died some time ago?”  Jack though he was over Boogie’s death.  It may have been the liquor, but Jack was feeling quite sad thinking about his pet.  Boogie was a sweet, black Lab that he loved to death.  He never wanted a dog of his own after Boogie expired.  Too painful when they died.

“Would you like to see Boogie again?”  It was Jonathan; his voice heavily accented and thick from drink.

“What do you mean see him again?”  Jack asked slowly, beginning to worry now.  “I told you Boogie is dead.  Been dead for years now!”  Jonathan smiled thoughtfully and placed his drink on the bar.

“C’mon, let’s get out of here!”  Jonathan grabbed Jack by the sleeve of his denim jacket.  Jack was only too happy to follow, wondering if he would get lucky.  Jonathan took Jack to his room, which was little more than a shabby motel room on the outskirts of Childress.  Jonathan cleared off his bed and motioned for Jack to have a seat.  Jack smiled at the offer and sat on the lumpy mattress.  Jonathan walked around him to the cheap bureau and pulled out what looked like a small bag.  Jack couldn’t help but notice an evil smell coming from the bag.  He looked at Jonathan who was now smiling widely.  Jack was becoming frightened and immediately questioned his decision to follow this man, someone he barely knew, to his room.  Jonathan must have noticed Jack’s sudden discomfort.

“It’s okay Jack,” he soothed.  “You know I won’t hurt you.  I only want to make it possible for you to see Boogie again.”  Jack looked at the Dominican as though he had lost his mind.

“It ain’t possible!”  Jack cried, almost hysterical now.  Jonathan laughed and placed a hot hand on Jack’s forehead.  He gently pushed Jack’s head onto his pillow.

“Trust me, Jack.  I promise no harm will come to you.  You see, my family.. we are part of the chosen.  We can communicate with the dead, and can make it possible for others to communicate with those who have passed on.  Human, animal, it makes no difference."  Jonathan noticed that Jack was calmer now, for reasons he couldn't fathom. 

“Look, I’m going to place this bag on your head.  You try to sleep and see what happens.  If it is too much for you, raise your hand.”

Jack closed his eyes and allowed his crazy friend to continue.  Once the bag was placed on his forehead, Jack felt an urge to sleep that he couldn't fight.  His eyes closed as if by magic and he found himself somewhere he couldn’t place.  It was a land that he didn’t recognize - a pastoral scene - all hills and streams with outrageous blue skies, fluffy clouds.  Jack looked around and found himself alone.  That is, until he felt a nipping at his ankles.  He looked down and saw..no it couldn’t be?  Boogie?  Jack was so excited to see his old pet that he didn’t question how Boogie came to be there.  He reached down to scratch behind Boogie’s ears, but drew back when Boogie looked up at him.  Jack almost screamed when he saw Boogie’s eyes and teeth were flame!  He backed away from his pet, but instead of running toward him, Boogie was running backward!  Jack almost swooned at the sight.  So dogs in the afterlife have fire for eyes and teeth and run backward?  It was too much for Jack.  He raised his hand and Jonathan removed the bag from his head.  Jonathan pulled Jack to his feet and looked him straight in the eyes.  Jack was so angry he dared not speak.  Without saying a word, Jack grabbed his hat, left the room never to speak to Jonathan again.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Boogie
« Reply #2306 on: October 11, 2007, 10:18:06 am »
Ah, Littlewing, you know I love a good spooky story.  Thanks so much for moving things in this unexpected direction.  It was a lot of fun reading your story.  And what a great way to celebrate the season.  I think you've inspired me.  Maybe I'll write my own spooky story tomorrow.

Gary

Thanks, Gary!  I thought you might like it!  Please write as many scary stories as you can!  You're good at it, and I can't wait to read your spooky tale(s)!

Dagi

« Reply #2307 on: October 11, 2007, 01:10:29 pm »
Boogie by Littlewing1957

Yeah, the wall between here and there is thin at this time of the year.....what an original little tale, Littlewing! Keep them coming!

Dagi

moremojo

« Reply #2308 on: October 11, 2007, 04:50:17 pm »
Boogie by Littlewing1957
Interesting story, Marie. Some earlier stories have been tinged with a hint of the supernatural or the transcendent, but eeriness or supernatural horror are new inflections, I think, for our thread. Quite appropriate, as you say, for the season.

It seems that Jack saw his vision of Boogie as an evil thing, though Jonathan wasn't necessarily doing anything sinister, and may have actually thought he was being helpful to Jack. As someone who ruefully admits to having retreated from those claiming to have powers or experiences with the paranormal, I find it rather sad that Jack too gave in to his fear here.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2309 on: October 11, 2007, 07:07:33 pm »
Yeah, the wall between here and there is thin at this time of the year.....what an original little tale, Littlewing! Keep them coming!

Dagi

Thanks, Dagi!  I'll keep them coming!  :)