Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170252 times)

moremojo

Re: Sustenance
« Reply #2430 on: October 22, 2007, 07:15:24 pm »
This story is rated NC17
Sustenance by garycottle
This is a remarkable story, Gary, subversive but brilliant. Thematically, apart from the Anne Rice novels, it made me think back to William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience, of how experience is the inevitable and perennial side of the same coin inhabited by innocence. Your depiction of the transition from youth to maturity as a literal dark night of the soul is masterful and memorable--in fact, this is one of the strongest treatments of this theme I have encountered anywhere. Congratulations on some great writing.

moremojo

Re: Sustenance
« Reply #2431 on: October 22, 2007, 07:28:42 pm »
P.S.  Will you be writing us a Halloween tale?
I have the germ of one in mind, but need to finesse the details before sharing it. Plus, I'm still trying to grapple with getting Jack and Ennis involved in some water sports that don't involve skis!  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Afterlife
« Reply #2432 on: October 23, 2007, 12:09:12 am »
Afterlife by Susiebell

The idea seemed ludicrous to Ennis, but Doug was determined to make him do it.

“Ennis, you need help…...  Somethin’s been eating away at you for the last two years … You should see her, she’s the best” he said, pushing Ennis firmly through the door.

If only to satisfy his friend, Ennis stepped reluctantly over the threshold and was greeted with a warm smile and a handshake.  Jane Wiseman was a quiet, unassuming, middle aged woman, not at all what he’d expected; no scarves or bangles, no crystal balls, no incense burners.  She was simply dressed with her hair tied back neatly, there was something very comforting and motherly about her.   She asked him to take a seat, gesturing to the space next to her on the sofa.

“You have suffered a great loss, I see the sadness in your eyes” her voice, soft and soothing, “… but then he was never really yours was he?”

“No ….” Ennis mumbled.

“You never allowed it, never allowed him to be yours …. though he was always yours for the taking.”  She lifted his chin gently so that their eyes met, “But do not fear, he loves you, he has always loved you…..  and he forgives you.”

Ennis looked down, fingers twiddling with a crease in his jeans, eyes brimming over with tears.

“It’s time for you to forgive yourself…. time for you to let go of your sadness” she uttered, folding her hands over his.  He hunched over and curled into a ball on the sofa.  Tears poured down his face and he sobbed, sobbed like an innocent child mourning the loss of a most beloved teddy bear.

He didn’t know how long he’d been crying, Mrs Wiseman had stayed quietly next to him, gently stroking his hair.  Wiping his tears on the back of his hand, he felt his spirits soar, the heavy burden of guilt, finally lifting from his shoulders.  When it was time for him to leave, he thanked her, taking her into his arms and squeezing her tight.  As he opened the door, she smiled one last time, “You haven’t lost him Mr Del Mar … he’s here with you, he’ll always be with you ….. your lil’ darlin’”

Susie

Susiebaby, this is just beautiful.  I love the idea of Ennis' friend encouraging him to see someone who can channel Jack's spirit.  And Jack was forgiving, and set him free.  Lovely writing, Babe!  Very comforting.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #2433 on: October 23, 2007, 12:09:43 am »

I´m sure we´ll have a great time togehter, and thanks again for offering me your hospitality!

:-* :-* :-*

Dagi

You bet!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Give us some of that candy!
« Reply #2434 on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:25 am »
Hi Littlewing.  Maybe we can go together next year.   ;D  I'd love that!

We'll work on it.  I look forward to it!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

The Doll
« Reply #2435 on: October 23, 2007, 12:21:56 am »
The Doll by Littlewing1957

When the physical body experiences a horrible trauma that results in death, the soul may become trapped on Earth, often taking up residence in an inanimate object.

Rich was lucky to be alive.  He was home when the rednecks stormed their little house, dragging poor Earl out, kicking and screaming, and then torturing him to death.  Earl fought his attackers like a madman, but he insisted that Rich hide in the little alcove under the stairs.  Rich would be safe there.  Earl loved Rich more than life itself, and refused to allow any harm to come to him.  Besides, it was not Rich that they wanted.  Earl was the tough old bird who talked back to those uneducated, inbred idiots.  He didn’t back down when he heard the taunts, “queer, queen, sissy boy!”  He even bloodied a few noses.  But Rich was more mild mannered, shy and unassuming.  The mob didn’t want him.

After Earl’s death, Rich couldn’t stand, nor could he afford to be in the house they shared.  He put it on the market and rented a little place in Cody just by the railroad tracks.  He took a job in the post office sorting mail.  His life was normal, by all accounts, but he would forever be haunted by the love of his life’s cruel fate.

Rich was paid every two weeks.  He earned a modest salary, but made more than enough to get by.  He had a little nephew that he was fond of, saw often, and liked to spoil.  One Friday after he got his check, Rich decided to buy his 3 year old nephew a toy.  He walked to Sears and took the elevator to the toy department.  He inspected toy trucks, baseball bats, stuffed animals.  Nothing struck his fancy until he noticed a doll: a cowboy doll all appointed with chaps, spurs, gun, and hat.  Rich picked up the doll, which was larger than any doll he had ever seen and gave it the once over.  There was something very familiar about the face.  He was drawn to the brown eyes, the heavy, busy eyebrows, and the perpetual grin.  The doll reminded him of someone.  He had to have it.  No, it was for his nephew!!??  Rich wasn’t sure anymore, but he paid for the doll and took it home.

When he reached his place, Rich fetched the doll from the shopping bag and sat it on the sofa in his tiny living room.  He studied it a bit more, and satisfied that he picked the right gift for little Clark, walked into the kitchen to fix something for supper.  Rich’s appetite had diminished considerably since the death of his lover, and most nights all he really wanted was soup, crackers and a drink.  This night was no different.  Rich placed his soup and cola on a tray and carried it into the living room to eat and watch a little TV.  But when he reached the sofa, the doll was gone.  Rich almost dropped his tray, but collected himself enough to put his food down and go look for the toy.  He searched under the couch, his table and chair, looked in the bathroom, no doll.  Rich was trying hard to retain his composure, but he was coming unglued.  Nowhere else left to look but the bedroom.  Rich’s bedroom was furnished with a full sized bed and not much else.  The bedroom was pitch dark, and when he turned on the light, he almost fell in a swoon.  For on the bed was the doll, naked, laying provocatively on Rich’s pillow.  Rich looked on in wonder at the doll’s rubber manhood – outsized and perfectly lifelike!  One look into the doll’s eyes, now moist, and Rich was no longer afraid. 

“Earl!”  Rich croaked, as he took a tentative step toward the bed.  Silent tears streamed down his craggy face as he thought he heard the doll say,

“It’s okay, Rich!”  It’s okay.  I’m here with you now, and I’ll never leave you.  Come to me, baby.  Come to me now!”  Rich turned off the light and approached his bed.

Rich’s nephew never got the doll, but was presented with a shiny red fire truck instead.  Rich’s neighbors didn’t know what to make of a grown man who carried around a cowboy doll with him wherever he went.  One day Mrs. Miller, Rich’s next door neighbor, passed him sitting out on his stoop with his doll on his lap.  Mrs. Miller was used to the sight of Rich with his doll, but his time, there was something different.  She could have sworn the doll was sitting on Rich’s lap with a wicked grin on its face, a slight bulge protruding from its pants…

Dagi

Re: Afterlife
« Reply #2436 on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:11 am »
Afterlife by Susiebell

Thank you for this comforting little tale, Susie! So Ennis has done another step, and allows himself to cry in the presence of stranger....he must have felt strongly Jack's presence, too. Beautiful, Susie dear!

Dagi

Dagi

Re: The Doll
« Reply #2437 on: October 23, 2007, 07:32:03 am »
The Doll by Littlewing1957

Rich’s nephew never got the doll, but was presented with a shiny red fire truck instead. Rich’s neighbors didn’t know what to make of a grown man who carried around a cowboy doll with him wherever he went.  One day Mrs. Miller, Rich’s next door neighbor, passed him sitting out on his stoop with his doll on his lap.  Mrs. Miller was used to the sight of Rich with his doll, but his time, there was something different.  She could have sworn the doll was sitting on Rich’s lap with a wicked grin on its face, a slight bulge protruding from its pants…

What an extraordinary tale, Littlewing! And it makes me think of how we often watch someone and think their behavior is somehow insane, like Rich sitting on the stoop with a doll on his lap, but we never know in wich way this behavior does make perfect sense to this person.....

Dagi

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: The Doll
« Reply #2438 on: October 23, 2007, 08:15:04 pm »
What an extraordinary tale, Littlewing! And it makes me think of how we often watch someone and think their behavior is somehow insane, like Rich sitting on the stoop with a doll on his lap, but we never know in wich way this behavior does make perfect sense to this person.....

Dagi

Thanks, Dagi!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Room 4 (Conclusion)
« Reply #2439 on: October 23, 2007, 08:55:52 pm »
Room 4 (Conclusion) by Littlewing1957

Jack was shaken, but able to run.  He and Ennis ran as fast as they could to the motel parking lot.  But just as both men were about to make for their rides, cooler heads prevailed.  Jack caught up to Ennis and grabbed him by the hand, held him fast and still.

“Look, Friend,” Jack began.  “We can’t just leave without checking out.  That ain’t right!  Let’s both go up to the front office and take care of business.  What ya say?”  Ennis was always an honest man, and couldn’t argue with Jack.  He felt silly for being so chicken awhile ago.

“Okay, Rodeo, let’s do this!”  Ennis said, shaking his head.  “The sooner we’re out of here, the better for both of us!”  Jack led the way.

The front desk was quiet, and the attendant happened to be the same young person who checked Jack in just hours ago.

“What can I do for you?” Asked the young man, who seemed no more than 20 years old.  He studied Jack and Ennis with a skeptical eye.

“Is everything okay?  Do you need anything?”  Jack rubbed at the hand mark on his cheek, and the young desk clerk’s eyes were drawn to the mark.  The blood seemed to drain from his ruddy face as he noticed the evil looking hand print on Jack’s handsome mug.

“What happened, sir?”  The young man stammered.  “Looks like you got into a fight!”

“Well, I’m not sure what happened to me!”  Jack stated in an uncertain tone.

“But don’t you worry about that.  I just need to check out of here.  You can handle that for me, right?”

The clerk nodded and turned to find the papers he prepared for Jack’s stay.  While he prepared the forms for check-out, Ennis and Jack talked among themselves, replayed what happened just a few minutes ago.  The clerk couldn’t help but overhear.  He handed over a few papers for Jack to sign.  And without provocation, the desk clerk, who said his name was David, told Jack and Ennis the story of Room 4.  He began:

Something terrible happened in room 4 about 3 years ago. I was still in school, but worked here most nights, just as I do now. One winter evening a man and his wife checked in for the weekend. I remember giving them room 4, which is our best suite. It seemed to me that the couple was on their honeymoon, and I wanted them to have the best we had to offer. Well, later that night the mister decided to step out on the town without his missus. The little lady was furious with her husband for leaving her alone like that, and decided to come down to the desk and pay me a visit. We spoke of this and that, and just sort of kept one another company until the husband returned. He was drunk as a skunk, and when he saw the two of us laughing and talking, I guess he thought something funny was going on between us. Without a word to me, the husband grabbed hold of his wife by the arm and practically dragged her out of the office. I didn't know what to do. I was just a kid, but I knew that something awful would happen in that room and it would happen soon. I wasn't wrong. I could hear the screams clear down to this desk, just where we are now. I didn't want to, but I called the police. They arrived about 15 minutes later!   I heard from the people who occupied the rooms next to suite 4 that the cops ordered the man to stop hitting his wife. When he refused, they shot him dead. I still feel guilty to this day for not going down there and try to help the lady. Who knows, maybe the man would be alive today if I had done something."

Ennis and Jack listened to this story with great interest.  It explained much.  It didn't explain the human shadows outside the room, but Jack decided he had heard enough.  He didn't need to know any more.

"You were right not to get involved, son," Ennis told the clerk, who began shaking at the memory of the incident. "That man could have killed you and his wife. I guess that poor man's spirit is still trapped in the room. It seems he'll be hitting and slapping for a long time to come!"

The clerk didn't disagree with Ennis. How could he?  He took the papers from Jack, collected room keys from both men, and gave Jack a few coupons for a free dinner at the diner in town, and a certificate for a free night's stay at the motel.  Jack thanked the young man and left the office.

“This meal voucher will come in mighty handy!”  Ennis exclaimed, as he climbed in his van.

“Yeah, I suppose so!”  Jack answered as he walked to his truck.  "But I don't want this certificate.  It's all yours if you want to stay here again, Cowboy!"  Ennis shook his head no, and Jack tore the certificate in two.

“Where to now, Cowboy?”

“Follow me, Jack!”  Ennis yelled out of his window.

“This time, nobody will slap you, that is..unless you want them to!”  Ennis gave Jack a little wink and pulled out onto the road.