Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170775 times)

Dagi

Re: Room 4 (Conclusion)
« Reply #2440 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:42 am »
Room 4 (Conclusion) by Littlewing1957

Jack was shaken, but able to run.  He and Ennis ran as fast as they could to the motel parking lot.  But just as both men were about to make for their rides, cooler heads prevailed.  Jack caught up to Ennis and grabbed him by the hand, held him fast and still.

“Look, Friend,” Jack began.  “We can’t just leave without checking out.  That ain’t right!  Let’s both go up to the front office and take care of business.  What ya say?”  Ennis was always an honest man, and couldn’t argue with Jack.  He felt silly for being so chicken awhile ago.

“Okay, Rodeo, let’s do this!”  Ennis said, shaking his head.  “The sooner we’re out of here, the better for both of us!”  Jack led the way.

The front desk was quiet, and the attendant happened to be the same young person who checked Jack in just hours ago.

“What can I do for you?” Asked the young man, who seemed no more than 20 years old.  He studied Jack and Ennis with a skeptical eye.

“Is everything okay?  Do you need anything?”  Jack rubbed at the hand mark on his cheek, and the young desk clerk’s eyes were drawn to the mark.  The blood seemed to drain from his ruddy face as he noticed the evil looking hand print on Jack’s handsome mug.

“What happened, sir?”  The young man stammered.  “Looks like you got into a fight!”

“Well, I’m not sure what happened to me!”  Jack stated in an uncertain tone.

“But don’t you worry about that.  I just need to check out of here.  You can handle that for me, right?”

The clerk nodded and turned to find the papers he prepared for Jack’s stay.  While he prepared the forms for check-out, Ennis and Jack talked among themselves, replayed what happened just a few minutes ago.  The clerk couldn’t help but overhear.  He handed over a few papers for Jack to sign.  And without provocation, the desk clerk, who said his name was David, told Jack and Ennis the story of Room 4.  He began:

Something terrible happened in room 4 about 3 years ago. I was still in school, but worked here most nights, just as I do now. One winter evening a man and his wife checked in for the weekend. I remember giving them room 4, which is our best suite. It seemed to me that the couple was on their honeymoon, and I wanted them to have the best we had to offer. Well, later that night the mister decided to step out on the town without his missus. The little lady was furious with her husband for leaving her alone like that, and decided to come down to the desk and pay me a visit. We spoke of this and that, and just sort of kept one another company until the husband returned. He was drunk as a skunk, and when he saw the two of us laughing and talking, I guess he thought something funny was going on between us. Without a word to me, the husband grabbed hold of his wife by the arm and practically dragged her out of the office. I didn't know what to do. I was just a kid, but I knew that something awful would happen in that room and it would happen soon. I wasn't wrong. I could hear the screams clear down to this desk, just where we are now. I didn't want to, but I called the police. They arrived about 15 minutes later!   I heard from the people who occupied the rooms next to suite 4 that the cops ordered the man to stop hitting his wife. When he refused, they shot him dead. I still feel guilty to this day for not going down there and try to help the lady. Who knows, maybe the man would be alive today if I had done something."

Ennis and Jack listened to this story with great interest.  It explained much.  It didn't explain the human shadows outside the room, but Jack decided he had heard enough.  He didn't need to know any more.

"You were right not to get involved, son," Ennis told the clerk, who began shaking at the memory of the incident. "That man could have killed you and his wife. I guess that poor man's spirit is still trapped in the room. It seems he'll be hitting and slapping for a long time to come!"

The clerk didn't disagree with Ennis. How could he?  He took the papers from Jack, collected room keys from both men, and gave Jack a few coupons for a free dinner at the diner in town, and a certificate for a free night's stay at the motel.  Jack thanked the young man and left the office.

“This meal voucher will come in mighty handy!”  Ennis exclaimed, as he climbed in his van.

“Yeah, I suppose so!”  Jack answered as he walked to his truck.  "But I don't want this certificate.  It's all yours if you want to stay here again, Cowboy!"  Ennis shook his head no, and Jack tore the certificate in two.

“Where to now, Cowboy?”

“Follow me, Jack!”  Ennis yelled out of his window.

“This time, nobody will slap you, that is..unless you want them to!”  Ennis gave Jack a little wink and pulled out onto the road.

Well I´m realy glad they got the hell out of there!! Thank you for this entertaining series, Marie!

Dagi

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #2441 on: October 24, 2007, 08:38:08 pm »
Hello fanfic writers!! Hi Dagi, Susie, Littlewing, and Gary. When is Toycoon going to be back -- anybody know? It seems like he has been gone 3 weeks already. I miss him -- even tho I'm not around much.

Gary and Littlewing -- are your areas affected by the fires? I think there are a few in Toycoon's area. It has rained for the past 5 days here -- it would be great if the rain would go west and help douse those fires. Hopefully the firefighters will get them under control soon. I'm sure they are getting discouraged.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Doll
« Reply #2442 on: October 24, 2007, 09:53:45 pm »
Hi there Littlewing.  You know, this is so strange that it's freaky.  I'm almost tempted to ask you if you were smoking something while writing it.   :laugh:  Boy, was that different.  What an imagination you have.  And I'm so glad that the nephew did not get that doll.   :o

Gary

Thanks, Gary Baby...I think!  :laugh:  It is funny you mentioned smoking!  I've never smoked, I don't drink, I don't do drugs of any kind.   I don't know what any of that is like.  I even have problems taking aspirin.  My sister once told me she that I'm so strange as my normal self that she wonders what I would be like, what I would come up with if I was under the influence of something.  The world may never know!  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2443 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:48 pm »
Very creepy, Littlewing.  And it reminded me of something that happened in West Virginia a few years ago.  A minister and his wife rented a cabin, cabin number 13, in Babcock state park.  And in the night the woman was bludgeoned to death, and the minister escaped with minor injuries.  He claimed someone broke into the cabin and attacked them both.  But the authorities convicted him of murder.  Now cabin 13 is often rented by people wanting to see a ghost.

http://www.babcocksp.com/accommodations.html

Cabin 13 is over a steep hill, and it has steps leading down to it, like the last cabin pictured on this page.  In fact that may be cabin 13.  I'm not sure.  But I've been to Babcock many, many times.  It's beautiful.  And images of the mill can be found everywhere.  It's surprising how many people recognize that mill.  They've seen pictures, but they never knew exactly where it was.

Gary

Babcock is indeed beautiful!  The cabins are charming.  And the lore of is very chilling!  I love this sort of thing!  I am so enjoying this!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2444 on: October 24, 2007, 09:56:36 pm »
Very creepy end to the story littlewing .... a brilliant bit of storytelling  :-*

Susie 

Thanks, Susiebaby!  This series was very fun to write!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2445 on: October 24, 2007, 10:00:24 pm »
Well I´m realy glad they got the hell out of there!! Thank you for this entertaining series, Marie!

Dagi

Thanks Dagi, sweetheart.  I'm glad you liked it!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2446 on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:00 pm »
Hello fanfic writers!! Hi Dagi, Susie, Littlewing, and Gary. When is Toycoon going to be back -- anybody know? It seems like he has been gone 3 weeks already. I miss him -- even tho I'm not around much.

Gary and Littlewing -- are your areas affected by the fires? I think there are a few in Toycoon's area. It has rained for the past 5 days here -- it would be great if the rain would go west and help douse those fires. Hopefully the firefighters will get them under control soon. I'm sure they are getting discouraged.

Hey there, Shasta!  I was thinking about you today.  I was wondering about Toycoon, myself.  He's probably back, but may be resting up.  I can't wait until he returns.  The fires?  No, they're nowhere near where I am.  The fire storms are in So. Cal, almost 500 miles away.  Gary is a bit closer, but I'm sure he's safe.  Now that you mention it, Toycoon lives in LA!!!!  I hope he's okay.  It is possible that his property was affected.... let's hope not!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2447 on: October 24, 2007, 10:05:20 pm »
Hi Shasta dear.  Great to see you here.  I'm not sure when exactly Toycoon is coming back, but you're right, it does seem like ages since he was here. 

The fires have been really scary.  As I understand it that area gets hit with fires regularly, but this was far worse than most years.  But I hear that a lot of people are returning home today, so maybe the worst is behind us.  I was not personally effected by them here in Merced, and I doubt that Littlewing was.  The wind was blowing everything west and out into the ocean, so I didn't even see any smoke. 

It was a sunny, clear day here, with highs in the mid 80's.  I'm pining for autumn back east.  October was my favorite month in West Virginia.  It was cool without being cold, which was nice after the heat and humidity of summer, and the color of the leaves are wonderful.

Gary

I wish I knew how to reach Toycoon.  I'm worried now!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2448 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
Hi Shasta dear.  Great to see you here.  I'm not sure when exactly Toycoon is coming back, but you're right, it does seem like ages since he was here. 

The fires have been really scary.  As I understand it that area gets hit with fires regularly, but this was far worse than most years.  But I hear that a lot of people are returning home today, so maybe the worst is behind us.  I was not personally effected by them here in Merced, and I doubt that Littlewing was.  The wind was blowing everything west and out into the ocean, so I didn't even see any smoke. 

It was a sunny, clear day here, with highs in the mid 80's.  I'm pining for autumn back east.  October was my favorite month in West Virginia.  It was cool without being cold, which was nice after the heat and humidity of summer, and the color of the leaves are wonderful.

Gary

Hey! Hi Gary! I'm glad to hear that the smoke and fire has stayed away from you and that some of the evacuees are getting to return home.

I know -- I'm sure fall is so much different in Merced than in West VA!! I, too, love fall and October!  :)

Everyone got their Halloween candy ready??!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2449 on: October 24, 2007, 11:11:52 pm »
Hey there, Shasta!  I was thinking about you today.  I was wondering about Toycoon, myself.  He's probably back, but may be resting up.  I can't wait until he returns.  The fires?  No, they're nowhere near where I am.  The fire storms are in So. Cal, almost 500 miles away.  Gary is a bit closer, but I'm sure he's safe.  Now that you mention it, Toycoon lives in LA!!!!  I hope he's okay.  It is possible that his property was affected.... let's hope not!

Hi Littlewing -- You are far away from the fires. Good. Some of the people (Adiabatic for one) on the board are close enough to be coughing and feeling ill from the smoke. I'm hoping the fires will be put out soon, and glad to hear that you and Gary are fine. Let us know if you hear from Toycoon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~