Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170232 times)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (12) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957
« Reply #2620 on: November 12, 2007, 02:40:06 am »
Right (12) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957

Eleanor Twist's buttermilk pancakes filled the old farm house with the aroma of a mother's devotion to her family; John Twist's cigarette smoke provided sharp contrast to the appetizing breakfast set before them and lingered in the air.

"It's nearly half past six an' that boy still ain't up," grumbled John, blowing out a mouthful of smoke. "When's he gonna start doin' a man's share of work 'round here? Didn't hardly make no money on that damn Brokeback Mountain. Hell, didn't even work through the summer."

"John, please don't swear in our house," she said setting the syrup pitcher on the table and glancing up at the crucifix on the wall . "Jack is a good boy and he's gonna be a bronc rider some day. Give 'em a chance." Just then, Jack appeared in the doorway of the kitchen.

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Right (13)
« Reply #2621 on: November 12, 2007, 01:54:49 pm »
Right (13) By Toycoon and Littlewing1957

“I smell pancakes!”  Jack muttered groggily.  Mrs. Twist smiled at her son.  She knew the smell of her good cooking would wake her son and coax him downstairs, all ready to eat and start the day.  “Just you sit yourself down, Jack.”  Mrs. Twist said warmly.  “I got a stack here all ready for you.  You want bacon with your pancakes?”  Jack nodded in the affirmative and took a seat beside his pa.

Jack’s pa didn’t even look at him, just poured syrup on his own stack.  Jack decided to play along.  If Old Man twist wanted to ignore him, Jack didn’t have a problem with that.  “Jack, darling, drive me to the store later?”  Mrs. Twist asked as she sat down to eat her breakfast.  “Sure mom,” Jack began.  “What time do you want to go?”  Mrs. Twist smiled at her son and ate a slice of bacon.  “Oh along, 10:00 will be good.”  She answered.  “Okay, I’ll be ready.”  Jack finished his breakfast without a word to his pa.  Mr. Twist ate in silence and was the last to finish his meal.  He watched his son climb the stairs to his room and shook his bald head.  “That boy is headed for a fall!”  Mr. Twist muttered under his breath.

Once in his room, Jack rummaged in his bureau for a warm sweatshirt.  His thoughts were with Ennis Del Mar.  Jack couldn't stop thinking about his friend, and he often dreamed about the idyllic days and nights they spent together up on Brokeback Mountian.  Jack hated that their time together was cut short, and he wondered what happened to his friend.  Actually, he was going crazy with worry!  But he was also reassured!  Jack knew he would see Ennis again; he would make it happen!  It was just a matter of time.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right
« Reply #2622 on: November 12, 2007, 03:07:02 pm »
Mornin'.

Well, Ennis has dodged the Alma bullet, and now is 'free' to do what he wants with whom he wants.  But, can he bring himself to act on that, with whom he wants? Hope he finds the bus to Lightning Flats is the first one leaving Riverton. 

Nice to read about Jack's POV.  And, his Dad grousing because Jack doesn't do a full day's work, and then his Mom asks Jack to drive her into town.  LOL, family dynamics.  But, Jack has Ennis on his mind, only a matter of time!

Noticed that you have combined efforts these past few installments, not letting us know which one authored which one.  A new pattern? Doesn't matter, it all flows together so well regardless. 

Thanks again. 

Dagi

Re: Right (13)
« Reply #2623 on: November 12, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »
Right (13) By Toycoon and Littlewing1957

“I smell pancakes!”  Jack muttered groggily.  Mrs. Twist smiled at her son.  She knew the smell of her good cooking would wake her son and coax him downstairs, all ready to eat and start the day.  “Just you sit yourself down, Jack.”  Mrs. Twist said warmly.  “I got a stack here all ready for you.  You want bacon with your pancakes?”  Jack nodded in the affirmative and took a seat beside his pa.

Jack’s pa didn’t even look at him, just poured syrup on his own stack.  Jack decided to play along.  If Old Man twist wanted to ignore him, Jack didn’t have a problem with that.  “Jack, darling, drive me to the store later?”  Mrs. Twist asked as she sat down to eat her breakfast.  “Sure mom,” Jack began.  “What time do you want to go?”  Mrs. Twist smiled at her son and ate a slice of bacon.  “Oh along, 10:00 will be good.”  She answered.  “Okay, I’ll be ready.”  Jack finished his breakfast without a word to his pa.  Mr. Twist ate in silence and was the last to finish his meal.  He watched his son climb the stairs to his room and shook his bald head.  “That boy is headed for a fall!”  Mr. Twist muttered under his breath.

Once in his room, Jack rummaged in his bureau for a warm sweatshirt.  His thoughts were with Ennis Del Mar.  Jack couldn't stop thinking about his friend, and he often dreamed about the idyllic days and nights they spent together up on Brokeback Mountian.  Jack hated that their time together was cut short, and he wondered what happened to his friend.  Actually, he was going crazy with worry!  But he was also reassured!  Jack knew he would see Ennis again; he would make it happen!  It was just a matter of time.

Wow, I can hardly catch up with you two! What a gripping story! And I want to sit there at the table, despite OMT, just for the joy to have breakfast and be with Jack and his lovely mother! Thanks so much for this series!

Dagi

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2624 on: November 12, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »
Mornin'.

Well, Ennis has dodged the Alma bullet, and now is 'free' to do what he wants with whom he wants.  But, can he bring himself to act on that, with whom he wants? Hope he finds the bus to Lightning Flats is the first one leaving Riverton. 

Nice to read about Jack's POV.  And, his Dad grousing because Jack doesn't do a full day's work, and then his Mom asks Jack to drive her into town.  LOL, family dynamics.  But, Jack has Ennis on his mind, only a matter of time!

Noticed that you have combined efforts these past few installments, not letting us know which one authored which one.  A new pattern? Doesn't matter, it all flows together so well regardless. 

Thanks again. 

Thanks, for your kind words.  You can't tell which of us authored the story?  We are posting our own individual stories.  When you see an installment posted by me, I am the author.  Same applies to Toycoon.  Hope this makes sense.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2625 on: November 12, 2007, 05:56:16 pm »
Hi Littlewing and Toycoon,

You two make a great team.  You seem to really get one another going.  Every time I turn around there's new installments, which is great.  I'm really enjoying your series.  It was a bit of a sting to watch Ennis get rejected by Alma, but of course it was the best thing for both of them.  And when you switched over to Jack I was pleased when you brought in Mrs. Twist.  I love her.

Gary

Thanks so much, Gary.  I, too, am pleased to write about Mrs. Twist, and am happy that Toycoon switched over to Lightning Flat.   

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2626 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:04 pm »
Wow, I can hardly catch up with you two! What a gripping story! And I want to sit there at the table, despite OMT, just for the joy to have breakfast and be with Jack and his lovely mother! Thanks so much for this series!

Dagi

Thanks, Dagi.  You can't image how much I'm enjoying this!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2627 on: November 12, 2007, 06:09:31 pm »
Thanks, for your kind words.  You can't tell which of us authored the story?  We are posting our own individual stories.  When you see an installment posted by me, I am the author.  Same applies to Toycoon.  Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the sweet words everybody! I'm having so much fun collaborating with Littlewing. I just signed both of our names to each chapter, either way. Littlewing inspired a whole new take on one of my earlier stories so she is my muse and co-conspirator.

I'm glad we are focusing on Jack in Lightning Flat for a few installments, too. There's a whole mess o' surprises coming up, just you wait!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2628 on: November 12, 2007, 08:00:25 pm »
Thanks for the sweet words everybody! I'm having so much fun collaborating with Littlewing. I just signed both of our names to each chapter, either way. Littlewing inspired a whole new take on one of my earlier stories so she is my muse and co-conspirator.

I'm glad we are focusing on Jack in Lightning Flat for a few installments, too. There's a whole mess o' surprises coming up, just you wait!

Your turn, Toycoon!   ;)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (14) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957
« Reply #2629 on: November 13, 2007, 02:28:25 am »
Right (14) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957

Beads of sweat on Ennis' square shoulders glistened like quartz in the hazy autumn sun as he drew back the heavy ax then took another swing. Jack dug the shovel in the ground, mopped his brow with the back of his hand, flicked off the sweat from the ends of his fingers and squinted to take in the silhouette of his friend.

There was noble satisfaction in the toil of maintaining the run down farm that somehow, Jack found gratifying; Ennis, working alongside him, sharing in Jack's tedious chores made all the difference. Jack closed his eyes and smiled to himself.

Strong arms wrapped around his shoulders from behind and rough fingers rubbed the hair on his chest. A warm, bristly cheek pressed against his face and the words, "Jack ... Jack," echoed softly in his ear.

"Jack!", hollered Old Man Twist from the back porch, "Yer ma's ready to go to the market now, and hurry up getting back. Ya gotta lot more work ta do!"