Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170289 times)

Dagi

Re: Right (14) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957
« Reply #2630 on: November 13, 2007, 05:36:35 am »
Right (14) by Toycoon and Littlewing1957

Beads of sweat on Ennis' square shoulders glistened like quartz in the hazy autumn sun as he drew back the heavy ax then took another swing. Jack dug the shovel in the ground, mopped his brow with the back of his hand, flicked off the sweat from the ends of his fingers and squinted to take in the silhouette of his friend.

There was noble satisfaction in the toil of maintaining the run down farm that somehow, Jack found gratifying; Ennis, working alongside him, sharing in Jack's tedious chores made all the difference. Jack closed his eyes and smiled to himself.

Strong arms wrapped around his shoulders from behind and rough fingers rubbed the hair on his chest. A warm, bristly cheek pressed against his face and the words, "Jack ... Jack," echoed softly in his ear.

"Jack!", hollered Old Man Twist from the back porch, "Yer ma's ready to go to the market now, and hurry up getting back. Ya gotta lot more work ta do!"

Aaahh, Jack daydreaming again....never lose your hope, Jack! Never, ya hear me?

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Right (15)
« Reply #2631 on: November 13, 2007, 12:53:37 pm »
Jack opened the door of the truck for his mom and helped her in.  He climbed into the driver's seat and headed out for town.  Mrs. Twist fiddled with the handles of her pocketbook as she observed her son.  Jack was the same easygoing, respectful boy that she raised, but something was different.  Mrs. Twist knew her son, and noticed that the light that always shown so brightly behind those blue eyes had dimmed.  Jack wasn't the same since he came down from that mountain.

Mr. Twist made mention of Jack's melancholy, as well.  Mrs. Twist was quite surprised when her husband asked her what could be the matter with their son.  She never considered that her man would notice something was out of place with Jack.  Neither one asked Jack why he was home so early; they decided to let him tell them in his own time.

Jack drove to town in silence, which worried Mrs. Twist no end.  He was usually very upbeat and talkative.  Not this time!  "Stop the truck, Jack."  Mrs. Twist ordered.  "What is it, ma?"  Jack answered, concerned.  "Just pull over there for a minute!"  Jack did as he was told.  He pulled over to the curb and parked; looked at his mom expectantly.  Mrs. Twist looked her son straight in his blue eyes.  "Now what happened on that mountain?"

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right 15
« Reply #2632 on: November 13, 2007, 01:04:19 pm »
Mornin'.

Well, leave it to the parents to notice the difference, especially Mom.  Interesting that OMT would notice it too; almost like he is concerned about Jack.  Different view of him, which I kinda like in a way. Hard to tell from OS whether he beat Jack physically as a child, or just mentally. Maybe a combination.  Anyway, just interesting. Will you be fleshing out his relationship with Mom and Jack?

Now, is the bus station close to the grocery store? In smaller towns it used to be that there was no dedicated bus station, the bus just stopped at the gas station or post office or somewhere like that.  Maybe in Lightning Flat it stops at the combined grocery store/dry goods store, where the clerk also sells bus tickets.  Maybe.

And, "duh" to me about your posting!!

Thanks again. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right 15
« Reply #2633 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:03 pm »
Mornin'.

Well, leave it to the parents to notice the difference, especially Mom.  Interesting that OMT would notice it too; almost like he is concerned about Jack.  Different view of him, which I kinda like in a way. Hard to tell from OS whether he beat Jack physically as a child, or just mentally. Maybe a combination.  Anyway, just interesting. Will you be fleshing out his relationship with Mom and Jack?

Now, is the bus station close to the grocery store? In smaller towns it used to be that there was no dedicated bus station, the bus just stopped at the gas station or post office or somewhere like that.  Maybe in Lightning Flat it stops at the combined grocery store/dry goods store, where the clerk also sells bus tickets.  Maybe.

And, "duh" to me about your posting!!

Thanks again. 

Cwby30, thanks so much for your input/comments.  I enjoy reading what you have to say, I really do.  And I'm glad you're staying with us.  It means an awful lot to me.  you wrote,

I'll consider this and keep it in mind!  :)  I would love to flesh out the relationship between Jack and his parents.  cwby30, thanks again for your comments.  You're very kind.  Please stay with us.  I can go on indefinitely!  Ain't no reins on this one!  :laugh:

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (16) by Toycoon
« Reply #2634 on: November 13, 2007, 11:46:13 pm »
"Nothin' happened on Brokeback Mountain, momma," Jack sighed. He looked directly at her then glanced out to the road, "Nothin." He rapped his fingers on the steering wheel.

Mrs. Twist knew her son better than he could have imagined. She reached out and caressed Jack's face with the palm of her hand. "Jack, your face is swollen. Does that have anything to do with your coming home early? Are you alright, honey?" she said with concern.

"A big storm was comin' in from the north.  Aguirre told us to bring the sheep down." Jack hated to lie to his mother but he really couldn't tell her what had actually happened when Aguirre caught Ennis and him making love.

"Us? You didn't tell us you had a companion up there."
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Right (17)
« Reply #2635 on: November 14, 2007, 12:06:26 am »
Right (17) by Littlewing1957

Jack could have kicked himself!  Why did he have to go and say “us?”  Jack lowered his head a bit, trying to think of a clever way to tell his ma about Ennis.  “Jack, honey, what is it?”  Mrs. Twist asked with such tenderness that Jack was tempted to tell all.  But he didn’t think the time was right.  Hell, there may never be a right time!

“Aguirre hired an extra hand this time around to tend camp.”  Jack began.  “His name is Ennis and he’s from Riverton.”  Mrs. Twist listened with interest.  “Go on,” she encouraged.  “Well, not much else to tell, ma.”  Jack stated evenly.  “Like I said, Aguirre told us to bring the sheep in because he didn’t want us to get caught in the storm.  That’s all there is to it.”  Mrs. Twist instinctively knew that her son was hiding something from her.  She had a feeling that the Ennis fella he mentioned was somehow special to him.  Mrs. Twist noticed the light burned a bit brighter in his eyes when he mentioned Ennis’ name.  But she didn’t want to press him.  All in good time!

“Is that all, ma?”  Jack asked rather sheepishly.  “If you don’t mind, I would like to get to the store and get back as soon as possible.”  “Oh?”  It was Mrs. Twist.  “You have something to do later on this afternoon?" Jack turned the key in the ignition. “Yeah ma,” Jack answered as he drove off from the curb.  “There is somethin’ I just gotta do.”

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right 17
« Reply #2636 on: November 14, 2007, 12:56:05 am »
Evenin'.

Well, I hope that "something" he has to do, is to find Ennis.  But how?  And, if he does, he's admitting in a way to things that he doesn't want to admit to...to his parents...yet...if ever...

Now, where in h*** is Ennis?!

Thanks again.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right 17
« Reply #2637 on: November 14, 2007, 01:57:42 am »

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (18) by Toycoon
« Reply #2638 on: November 14, 2007, 02:00:12 am »
Jack and his mother pulled up in front of the 'Sav-Rite' Grocers. Jack said he wasn't feeling well and that he'd rather wait in the car for his mother. She patted his leg and told him she'd be back in a few minutes then climbed out of the truck. He watched her disappear into the market and his mind began to wander as he read the specials posted on the window.

"Frozen Peas, fifty-nine cents; Donuts, ninety-seven cents a dozen; BetterMost beans, three cans for ninety nine cents..." he whispered. Before last summer, BetterMost beans wouldn't have had the least bit of significance to Jack. Now, they brought back so many memories, he began to weep at the thought of it.

"I gotta find Ennis. I gotta know what happened to him." Jack quickly wiped his face with his sleeve and decided to run across the street to the post office before his mother came back. He could buy a postcard there then send it to Riverton, general delivery. He was determined to reach Ennis Del Mar or he would know the reason why.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Dagi

Re: Right
« Reply #2639 on: November 14, 2007, 04:43:44 am »
Toycoon and Littlewing, I can´t beginn to tell you how much fun it is reading this!

I just love Ma Twist. I so love her. And I always knew OMT is a good soul inside (although I´d prefer to have breakfast with only Jack and Roberta  ;)).

And please, Jack, do it. Go and find Ennis.

Thanks, you two!

Dagi