Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170736 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: December 21st (2)
« Reply #2890 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:49 pm »
That scrooge LD could have bought Jack a ticket ... the miserable old git!!  And Lureen ... how could she swan off to Hawaii leaving Jack alone over Christmas? ... the heartless bag!

But little do they know, they've given him the best possible Christmas present ... Ennis!!

Brilliant story as always Littlewing!

Susie  :)

SusieBaby, thanks for your kind words.  I thought about stopping at 2 installments, but I believe you've inspired me to continue with the story, at least for another chapter.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Christmas Present (6)
« Reply #2891 on: December 17, 2007, 10:24:14 pm »
Evenin'.

Just can't seem to get the hang of just three sentences/three paragraphs.  Know I promised before, and plan to keep my promise, but just couldn't this time.  No. 7 looks promising for keeping my promise.  As does No. 8. I sure appreciate your letting me join in here, and sure enjoy your stories and camaraderie. 

Thanks again.

John Twist sat in his recliner, looking out of the parlor window onto the ranch landscape covered in white.  He had argued within himself all afternoon, since the ‘partners’ had headed out to check the stock.  He thought about what had happened that day to turn his well-regulated life upside down.  Ennis del Mar had happened, a pure and simple fact, though not a pure and simple man to John Twist. 

He had read the Bible, all the passages of hellfire and damnation, and then passages of love and forgiveness, ending with Luke’s telling of the Christmas story. Abomination, hellfire, damnation, love, forgiveness, Thou Shalt Not Kill, the greatest of these is love, love thy neighbor, wedding garments, judge not lest ye be judged, Ennis is a present given to us, and more swirled around in his brain until he though it would explode. 

He had listened to his father’s voice berating him for being weak, not doing as the Bible said, not dispatching those evildoers immediately to the fires of Hell.  That reminded him of a story in all the papers about ten years before, about some rancher that was killed, beat to death because he was different, a rancher near Sage if he remembered right. Wonder if Ennis knew about that? Wonder if his father had anything to do with that? Wonder if my own father would have done something like that? He shuddered at the prospect, both for Ennis and for his own son.  And himself. 

Then he remembered his mother’s expression when reminding him ‘not to forget the love’ on the day he married Elaine, and how sad he felt when he realized what his father had forgotten for so many years, and how he promised his mother that he never would be like his father. 

But he had broken that promise.  For good reasons or not, he had become his father in so many ways. 

Until today. Until Ennis. 

His mind registered the music coming from the old record player, the Walter Schumann Christmas album Elaine had bought 7 or 8 years ago.  She’d played it so many times over the years it was a wonder that the needle hadn’t worn the grooves all the way through to the other side.  The orchestra music swelled and the singers sang, and Elaine hummed along in the kitchen. 
The First Noel, the Angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the King of Israel!

While listening, his eyes involuntarily drifted over to the Manger scene on a shelf in the bookcase.  The family, three wise men, shepherds, an angel, a star. Could use the help of a wise man, three of them better yet, right about now, he thought. 

Some movement outside caught pulled his eyes back to the window.  He saw the tractor towing a now-empty hay trailer through the snow back towards the barn.  Jack drove, and Ennis stood behind him, both hands on Jack’s shoulders for balance.  Once in a while Jack would gesture towards something, and Ennis would look, and then bend down to say something in Jack’s ear.  Could have sworn Ennis kissed Jack’s ear and neck once, Jack scrunching up his shoulders a bit at the contact.  Friends, partners, lovers…

Then it hit, it all came together.  Elaine was right, in more ways than she realized.  Ennis had given him a present that he never realized he’d almost lost, his own self. 

They love each other. All they want is each other, to be left alone to live a sweet life together, nobody else’s business.  It’s up to God to judge them on the Last Day, not me or anyone else in this world.  Maybe it is an abomination, maybe they are headed for damnation, maybe not, but anyone who takes their lives in the name of God certainly will be damned for breaking the Fifth Commandment. I won’t be my father any more. I won't!

He wouldn’t let up on them, had to be sure they understand the challenges and dangers, knew how to be careful and safe in this world.  He wouldn’t let up, but he would allow them the chance to have a safe place to learn.  And if anyone dares to do anything to my son or Ennis, well as God is my witness …

“Honey, supper’s near ready, best be calling the boys in ta wash up. Could use some help settin the table, too, if ya don’t mind,” Elaine tentatively requested

Don’t forget the love.  “Comin, dearie, right on it, don’t mind atall.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #2892 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:37 pm »
Dagi's poorly again.. this time with tonsilitis and a fever!

Poor dear!!

Get Well Soon honey!  I'll be thinking of you!

Lots of love,
Susie  :-* :-* :-*   

Get better soon, Dagi!  This place just ain't the same without you!  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2893 on: December 18, 2007, 11:02:03 pm »
Evenin'.

Just can't seem to get the hang of just three sentences/three paragraphs.  Know I promised before, and plan to keep my promise, but just couldn't this time.  No. 7 looks promising for keeping my promise.  As does No. 8. I sure appreciate your letting me join in here, and sure enjoy your stories and camaraderie. 

Thanks again.

John Twist sat in his recliner, looking out of the parlor window onto the ranch landscape covered in white.  He had argued within himself all afternoon, since the ‘partners’ had headed out to check the stock.  He thought about what had happened that day to turn his well-regulated life upside down.  Ennis del Mar had happened, a pure and simple fact, though not a pure and simple man to John Twist. 

He had read the Bible, all the passages of hellfire and damnation, and then passages of love and forgiveness, ending with Luke’s telling of the Christmas story. Abomination, hellfire, damnation, love, forgiveness, Thou Shalt Not Kill, the greatest of these is love, love thy neighbor, wedding garments, judge not lest ye be judged, Ennis is a present given to us, and more swirled around in his brain until he though it would explode. 

He had listened to his father’s voice berating him for being weak, not doing as the Bible said, not dispatching those evildoers immediately to the fires of Hell.  That reminded him of a story in all the papers about ten years before, about some rancher that was killed, beat to death because he was different, a rancher near Sage if he remembered right. Wonder if Ennis knew about that? Wonder if his father had anything to do with that? Wonder if my own father would have done something like that? He shuddered at the prospect, both for Ennis and for his own son.  And himself. 

Then he remembered his mother’s expression when reminding him ‘not to forget the love’ on the day he married Elaine, and how sad he felt when he realized what his father had forgotten for so many years, and how he promised his mother that he never would be like his father. 

But he had broken that promise.  For good reasons or not, he had become his father in so many ways. 

Until today. Until Ennis. 

His mind registered the music coming from the old record player, the Walter Schumann Christmas album Elaine had bought 7 or 8 years ago.  She’d played it so many times over the years it was a wonder that the needle hadn’t worn the grooves all the way through to the other side.  The orchestra music swelled and the singers sang, and Elaine hummed along in the kitchen. 
The First Noel, the Angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the King of Israel!

While listening, his eyes involuntarily drifted over to the Manger scene on a shelf in the bookcase.  The family, three wise men, shepherds, an angel, a star. Could use the help of a wise man, three of them better yet, right about now, he thought. 

Some movement outside caught pulled his eyes back to the window.  He saw the tractor towing a now-empty hay trailer through the snow back towards the barn.  Jack drove, and Ennis stood behind him, both hands on Jack’s shoulders for balance.  Once in a while Jack would gesture towards something, and Ennis would look, and then bend down to say something in Jack’s ear.  Could have sworn Ennis kissed Jack’s ear and neck once, Jack scrunching up his shoulders a bit at the contact.  Friends, partners, lovers…

Then it hit, it all came together.  Elaine was right, in more ways than she realized.  Ennis had given him a present that he never realized he’d almost lost, his own self. 

They love each other. All they want is each other, to be left alone to live a sweet life together, nobody else’s business.  It’s up to God to judge them on the Last Day, not me or anyone else in this world.  Maybe it is an abomination, maybe they are headed for damnation, maybe not, but anyone who takes their lives in the name of God certainly will be damned for breaking the Fifth Commandment. I won’t be my father any more. I won't!

He wouldn’t let up on them, had to be sure they understand the challenges and dangers, knew how to be careful and safe in this world.  He wouldn’t let up, but he would allow them the chance to have a safe place to learn.  And if anyone dares to do anything to my son or Ennis, well as God is my witness …

“Honey, supper’s near ready, best be calling the boys in ta wash up. Could use some help settin the table, too, if ya don’t mind,” Elaine tentatively requested

Don’t forget the love.  “Comin, dearie, right on it, don’t mind atall.”

cwby30, don't worry about going over the 3 paragraph rule.  Your 6th installment is magical.  I really don't know what to say.  I'm so moved by your brilliant tale that I'm practically speechless.  I just spent a less than satifying day at work, and you can't image what it means to come home and read one of your charming tales.  Brilliant!  I especially love the description of Ennis kissing Jack as they worked.  Such a satisfying glimpse into the workings of that sweet life.  I'm hooked, cwby30.  Keep em' coming!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2894 on: December 18, 2007, 11:03:16 pm »
Thank you Cwby, for delving into the inner world of John Twist .... something I don't think we've ever done before.  You've given him a heart, and hope for the future ... wonderful!

Susie  :) 

Hey, Susiebaby, has Toycoon been around?  I'm missing him!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

The Ultimate Gift
« Reply #2895 on: December 18, 2007, 11:30:33 pm »
The Ultimate Gift by Littlewing1957

Ennis walked past the window of the Sears and Roebuck Department store and stopped abruptly.  It was December 16th and Ennis watched as several store employees were busily decorating the store windows, transforming them into Santa’s toy shop and a winter wonderland.  Ennis looked at the beautiful dolls, toy fire trucks, powdery snow, sleds, and other finery.  Such an elaborate display! 

He walked into the store and headed straight for the 2nd floor toy department.  Jenny asked for a Monopoly game and Alma Jr. had her heart set on a new Barbie, complete with Skipper and a new outfit or two.  Ennis easily found the game, and was about to search for the doll when he saw a little boy of about 6 staring up at him.  The child had blue eyes and dark hair, and he was leaning against a display of baby dolls.  Ennis smiled at the child, as he reminded him of someone very special.  Ennis imagined that Jack looked like the small boy when he was that age.  The child smiled back and said, “Merry Christmas, mister,” and with that, was on his way.  Ennis yelled to the child’s retreating back, “Merry Christmas to you too, son!”  Barbie was all wrapped up and smiling when Ennis placed her in his small basket.  He was certain Alma Jr. would like her.  Ennis paid for his purchases and left for home.

His small house was modest but comfortable.  He kept the thermostat down low, as it cost too much to heat his pile of sticks, especially during the December months and on into the winter.  Ennis reached into the back of his closet to retrieve the wrapping paper he salvaged from gifts given him Christmases past.  He found paper, ribbons, and decided he could get away without bows this year.  After a meal of franks and beans, Ennis sat his purchases out on a small table and began to wrap them.  He would finish his shopping tomorrow, as he didn’t get anything for Alma or Monroe.  He couldn’t forget them.  And as usual, Jack Twist was on his mind.  Ennis wondered what Jack was doing at that very moment.  He was probably out shopping – buying expensive gifts for his wife and child.  Ennis sighed as he realized that having Jack there with him would be the best present he could image.  Someday he would treat himself.  He would give himself the gift of Jack: the gift of a sweet life.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2896 on: December 19, 2007, 01:04:16 am »
cwby30, don't worry about going over the 3 paragraph rule.  Your 6th installment is magical.  I really don't know what to say.  I'm so moved by your brilliant tale that I'm practically speechless.  I just spent a less than satisfying day at work, and you can't image what it means to come home and read one of your charming tales.  Brilliant!  I especially love the description of Ennis kissing Jack as they worked.  Such a satisfying glimpse into the workings of that sweet life.  I'm hooked, cwby30.  Keep em' coming!  :)

Hey folks, cwby30 and all,
I break the 3 line rule all the time. I love your Christmas series, too. Feel free to indulge.
I know everyone else is enjoying your wonderful stories. You're a great author. Brilliant descriptions.

Littlewing,
I check all the time; it's just that I've just been crazy busy!
I have about 50% of the latest installment of our series and I promise to post it soon.

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2897 on: December 19, 2007, 01:08:53 am »
Hey folks, cwby30 and all,
I break the 3 line rule all the time. I love your Christmas series, too. Feel free to indulge.
I know everyone else is enjoying your wonderful stories. You're a great author. Brilliant descriptions.

Littlewing,
I check all the time; it's just that I've just been crazy busy!
I have about 50% of the latest installment of our series and I promise to post it soon.

Hey, sugar!  :-*  Good to see you!  I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next installment!

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Christmas Present (7)
« Reply #2898 on: December 19, 2007, 01:07:51 pm »
Mornin'.  Well, only one over this time, getting better.

Thanks again. 

Mr. Twist set the dining room table for dinner, which surprised Jack on two accounts, that they hadn’t eaten in there for years, and that his father had set the table.  They ate with companionable talk, Ennis saying very little except for the occasional “thank you again” and “this here’s a very good meal, ma’am,” and Jack saying enough for both of them.  Mr. Twist allowed as how he could light the house for the winter if he could figure out how to harness the smiles on the other three, which made Ennis blush and withdraw a bit, Jack chuckle, and Mrs. Twist smile even brighter.  After dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Twist sat in the parlor having a second cup of coffee, a rare circumstance these past fifteen years all things considered, listening to the rattling of dishes and cupboard doors and the good-natured laughing coming from the other rooms, while at their own insistence Jack and Ennis cleared the table and cleaned up the kitchen. 

Finished, the partners joined Jack’s parents in the parlor for a while, and watched “It’s A Wonderful Life” on the TV.  By 9:30 Mr. Twist announced it was time to turn in, since Christmas or no Christmas tomorrow was another day on the ranch and stock needed tending and chores doing before church services, and he would yell up at them if they weren’t up and at ‘em on time.  Jack kissed his momma good night, shook hands with his dad, wished them both a Merry Christmas, and headed upstairs.  Ennis lingered, said he would be up in a minute.

After Jack had climbed the stairs, Ennis looked over at the Twists, his mouth dry and his heart beating so hard he thought it could be heard by the herd in the South 40.  Stumbling over his words, he finally pushed out his thanks again, and how we didn’t deserve their kindness but would always be grateful and wouldn’t impose much more and would be leavin’ as soon as the road was clear.  Mr. Twist cleared his throat and to Ennis’ surprise and embarrassment thanked Ennis for coming into their home, for making them realize what was important in their lives, and told Ennis he was welcome to stay as long as he and Jack wanted, that the upstairs was theirs now, never went up their anyway, his arthritis and all, a small lie that he know his Elaine would call him on later and forgive him for.  Ennis stood up, kissed Mrs. Twist on the cheek, shook hands with Mr. Twist sealing the deal, wished them a Merry Christmas, and went upstairs to open his present from Jack and to give Jack his. 

Lying in bed in the darkened house, Mr. Twist couldn’t help but mull over the events of the day, and remember the many presents they all had given and received.  The words of “The Night Before Christmas” ran through Mrs. Twist’s head, and a small tear leaked out of her eye and onto her pillow at, “…the children were nestled all snug in their beds.” And the children were, only they nestled together in each other's arms, all snug in Ennis’ big bed, while visions of a sweet life danced through their heads. 

tbc

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: The Christmas Present (7)
« Reply #2899 on: December 19, 2007, 10:45:33 pm »
Mornin'.  Well, only one over this time, getting better.

Thanks again. 

Mr. Twist set the dining room table for dinner, which surprised Jack on two accounts, that they hadn’t eaten in there for years, and that his father had set the table.  They ate with companionable talk, Ennis saying very little except for the occasional “thank you again” and “this here’s a very good meal, ma’am,” and Jack saying enough for both of them.  Mr. Twist allowed as how he could light the house for the winter if he could figure out how to harness the smiles on the other three, which made Ennis blush and withdraw a bit, Jack chuckle, and Mrs. Twist smile even brighter.  After dinner, Mr. and Mrs. Twist sat in the parlor having a second cup of coffee, a rare circumstance these past fifteen years all things considered, listening to the rattling of dishes and cupboard doors and the good-natured laughing coming from the other rooms, while at their own insistence Jack and Ennis cleared the table and cleaned up the kitchen. 

Finished, the partners joined Jack’s parents in the parlor for a while, and watched “It’s A Wonderful Life” on the TV.  By 9:30 Mr. Twist announced it was time to turn in, since Christmas or no Christmas tomorrow was another day on the ranch and stock needed tending and chores doing before church services, and he would yell up at them if they weren’t up and at ‘em on time.  Jack kissed his momma good night, shook hands with his dad, wished them both a Merry Christmas, and headed upstairs.  Ennis lingered, said he would be up in a minute.

After Jack had climbed the stairs, Ennis looked over at the Twists, his mouth dry and his heart beating so hard he thought it could be heard by the herd in the South 40.  Stumbling over his words, he finally pushed out his thanks again, and how we didn’t deserve their kindness but would always be grateful and wouldn’t impose much more and would be leavin’ as soon as the road was clear.  Mr. Twist cleared his throat and to Ennis’ surprise and embarrassment thanked Ennis for coming into their home, for making them realize what was important in their lives, and told Ennis he was welcome to stay as long as he and Jack wanted, that the upstairs was theirs now, never went up their anyway, his arthritis and all, a small lie that he know his Elaine would call him on later and forgive him for.  Ennis stood up, kissed Mrs. Twist on the cheek, shook hands with Mr. Twist sealing the deal, wished them a Merry Christmas, and went upstairs to open his present from Jack and to give Jack his. 

Lying in bed in the darkened house, Mr. Twist couldn’t help but mull over the events of the day, and remember the many presents they all had given and received.  The words of “The Night Before Christmas” ran through Mrs. Twist’s head, and a small tear leaked out of her eye and onto her pillow at, “…the children were nestled all snug in their beds.” And the children were, only they nestled together in each other's arms, all snug in Ennis’ big bed, while visions of a sweet life danced through their heads. 

tbc

You've done it again, cwby30!  Your tale is just what I need to end my day.  I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but this series is exceptional.  Very moving, descriptive, and I melt at the thought of Ennis and Jack exchanging presents and spending time in each other's arms.  And I'm really loving the accepting and very human Mr. Twist.  I hate to see this series end, I'm loving it so.  Well done, Babe!