Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2170312 times)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: the Christmas Present
« Reply #2900 on: December 19, 2007, 11:58:09 pm »
Evenin', Susie.

Well, it ain't over 'til it's over... and it ain't over yet... it's "tbc", and I have a few more to share.  Appreciate all your kind words about my writing, it really is as if one of them...or both of them!...are talking to me, and I write it down for others to enjoy, too. 

Have thought that Mr. Twist was upset at Jack being "queer", but more upset that he didn't take a real interest in the Ranch.  Hard to extrapolate a lot from OS, other than Jack hated his Dad.  At the end, Mr. Twist seemed more bitter that Jack had got himself killed before keeping his promise, to come back with Ennis and fix up the place. 

Which is the subject of several Dead!Jack AUs, Ennis going up to the Ranch and staying there to help out, to keep the promise that Jack made, and to make up for not wanting the sweet life with Jack enough to overcome his own fears and shame. 

Fears but not as much shame here, Ennis took a chance right away. 

Thanks again.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Right (58) by Toycoon
« Reply #2901 on: December 20, 2007, 01:21:06 am »
Right (58) by Toycoon

There they stood by the road side, in the cold, vast darkness of that autumn night, shivering, trying to brace themselves against the wind with no idea what their next move might be. They had walked from the Twist ranch to the main highway through Lightning Flat. Ennis held a large paper sack containing his few belongings and Jack carried the same leather satchel he'd brought to Brokeback Mountain that summer packed with cans of food, some clothes plus a few personal items. Jack hiked the strap up higher on his shoulder and glanced at his lover, wondered how Ennis was faring out here in the cold.

Ennis returned Jack's glimpse. "Ain't so bad, Rodeo, ah'm used ta it."

Jack pulled his hat further down on his head and dug his hands deeper into his pockets. He felt his wallet in the jeans and remembering how little money he had in there, wondered how they would travel.  He thought, we can't take the pickup truck; what if something were to happen to ma? Pa might have to run her to the doctor. We ain't got much money between the two of us. We could hardly afford to buy a pair of bus tickets anywhere. And where would we go, any way? Some place warmer... like Texas? Maybe, but it is still a long ways from Lightning Flat. The night suddenly became a little colder and lot lonelier.

Ennis had more experience being on his own than Jack, so he immediately began formulating a plan for them. "Now listen up, Jack, we could go ta South Dakota," declared Ennis in a very serious voice. He pulled a travel brochure from his pants pocket. Jack shot Ennis a look of disbelief. "Are you fucken' nuts, Ennis? We can't go to South Dakota." said Jack incredulously. "How the hell, we gonna get ta South Dakota, huh?" The shock of having been caught naked in bed with Ennis by his father, loosing his family and his warm home then running away all in one night was wearing thin on Jack. Just then, a pair of headlights appeared on the horizon. The dark silhouette of a truck came into focus then slowed down as it approached the two men standing by the roadside.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right (58)
« Reply #2902 on: December 20, 2007, 01:55:15 am »
Evenin', toycoon.

Well, good installment, Jack having to rely on Ennis now, and South Dakota! It would be a clean break, and a chance to be away from everyone who knows them.  And there is that lovely woman who was on the bus with Ennis... Wonder who's driving the truck?  Alan?

Looking forward to the next installment!

Thanks again.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2903 on: December 20, 2007, 09:56:05 am »
Evenin', toycoon.

Well, good installment, Jack having to rely on Ennis now, and South Dakota! It would be a clean break, and a chance to be away from everyone who knows them.  And there is that lovely woman who was on the bus with Ennis... Wonder who's driving the truck?  Alan?

Looking forward to the next installment!

Thanks again.

Thank you kindly, cwby30. At this rate, who the heck knows where those two will end up!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2904 on: December 20, 2007, 09:43:38 pm »
Thank you kindly, cwby30. At this rate, who the heck knows where those two will end up!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #2905 on: December 20, 2007, 10:43:26 pm »
Hey Susie, is Dagi still sick?  I see Gary is here, but he hasn't been to the thread in awhile?  I miss the both of them so much I can hardly stand it, and that's the truth!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Right (59)
« Reply #2906 on: December 21, 2007, 01:24:18 am »
Right (59) By Littlewing1957

The driver rolled down the right side window of the truck and called out in the early morning chill, “Hey Jack Twist, is that you?”  The voice was feminine, playful.  Jack approached the truck, all the while waving Ennis back.  He thought he recognized the voice, but he was cautious all the same.  Ennis obeyed Jack’s signal and stayed where he was.  “Jack, it’s me, Katie!”  Jack lowered his head and peered into the truck window.  It was Katie, alright, looking very lovely.  She was also looking very prosperous and sophisticated.  Her truck was brand new, and her clothes were stylish and expensive looking.  Jack noticed a designer looking handbag displayed prominently on the passenger seat.  He had no idea that Katie was doing so well.  “Where you headed, Jack?” She asked innocently.  Jack didn’t answer right away, but looked to Ennis before he turned around.  Ennis was silent as he walked over to join his lover.  “Well, we were just headed into town,” Jack faltered.  Katie looked over at Ennis as he approached the truck.  Her emerald green eyes took in Ennis’ straw colored hair, strong build, and fine aristocratic features.  “I don’t think I know you," Katie addressed Ennis seductively.  “My name is Katie Tryon.  What’s your name?”  Ennis smiled and reached his hand in the truck window.  Katie took Ennis’ hand and shook it.  “I’m Ennis, Ennis Del Mar.”  Katie held Ennis’ hand a little longer than necessary. Jack noticed.  He didn’t like it. 

“Well, I can take you into town,” Katie stated evenly as she moved her bag from the passenger seat.  “And I have enough room for the both of you.”  “I know that’s right,” Jack exclaimed as he took in the expansive passenger area of Katie’s truck.  “Okay, we would love a ride into town.”  He announced as he looked toward Ennis.  Ennis nodded briskly, certainly thankful for an opportunity to get Jack out of the bitter cold. “Well, climb on in and let’s get going,” Katie chirped sweetly.  “I need to get a move on if I want to open the shop on time."  Ennis and Jack climbed into the truck and settled in for the ride.  Katie told them all about her new fashion shop downtown, established with money she inherited from her grandfather.  Her store was only about a year old, but was an instant hit.  Jack and Ennis hung on Katie’s every word as she described the retail fashion business, and how she may open another store if business continued to do well.  “I’ve always wanted to be a chain,” Katie announced proudly.  Ennis and Jack were impressed by Katie’s success.  She was so young to have accomplished so much.  Jack was happy for her, but he couldn’t help but feel a bit like a failure, a slacker when Katie pulled up to her shop and parked her expensive truck in her own parking space.  She climbed out of the truck and walked over to the front door of her shop.  Fiddling with keys, Katie found the right one and opened the door.  Jack and Ennis stepped out of the truck and onto the sidewalk.  Katie looked back at them and waved them over.  “Come on in, guys,” She offered.  “I’ll make you some coffee and we can talk.”  Katie looked at Jack and smirked a bit.  “I really want to know what you guys are up to.”

Ennis and Jack followed Katie to the back of her charming establishment.  Jack noticed the décor and was astounded by the feminine excess.  The shop was a frilly dream filled with frothy lace dresses, lingerie, old style perfume bottles, lace stockings, feather boas.  Ennis noticed when they were outside a sign that announced the store's name,  “Preen.”  He didn’t quite understand what preen meant, but somehow knew the name was apt.  Katie led them to her office in the back of the store.  It was decorated in much the same way as her showroom, tasteful excess.  Katie waved the guys to a seat and put on a pot of coffee.  Jack sat opposite his childhood friend and studied her.  She was wearing a red silk blouse tucked into a black wool skirt.  Her auburn hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, and her makeup was flawless.  Jack’s eyes moved to the manicured hands that flashed two diamond boulders.  He looked up at her face and saw, to his dismay, that she was looking intently at Ennis.  “Now,” Katie began, “Why were you guys walking down that road this time of morning?"  Jack shrugged but said nothing.  “Oh come on, Jack, you can trust me,” Katie said as she spread her elegant hands wide.  “Now, what’s going on?”  Jack glanced at Ennis.  “No big deal,” he began.  “My dad and I got into a bit of a disagreement, and I thought it would be best if we spent some time apart, you know, to let us cool down."  “I had somethin’ to do with it, Katie,” Ennis interjected.  “I’m a hired hand, but I’m also Jack’s friend.”  Jack looked at Ennis, wondering just how much he planned to volunteer.  But Ennis said nothing else.  Katie looked at Ennis and smiled shyly.  She looked at Jack, and became very serious.  “Listen Jack, I think I can help.  If you guys need a place to cool out, I think I can arrange something.  Or you can stay with me?”

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right (60)
« Reply #2907 on: December 21, 2007, 02:16:55 am »
Evenin, toy.

Well, not sure I like Katie all that much, too nosy and too interested in Ennis.  Still, she is a friend and hopefully can help them as she says.  Think it better that they leave town, with Alan also sniffing around, but they need money for that. 

Nice turn of events.  Can't wait to see how your partner in writing takes it forward.

Thanks again.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right (60)
« Reply #2908 on: December 21, 2007, 02:22:14 am »
Evenin, toy.

Well, not sure I like Katie all that much, too nosy and too interested in Ennis.  Still, she is a friend and hopefully can help them as she says.  Think it better that they leave town, with Alan also sniffing around, but they need money for that. 

Nice turn of events.  Can't wait to see how your partner in writing takes it forward.

Thanks again.

Thanks, cwby30.  I, too, am anxious to see what direction Toycoon will take.  I'm really enjoying this!

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Christmas Present (8)
« Reply #2909 on: December 21, 2007, 02:24:08 am »
Evenin'.

Well, before I head home [long day at work], decided to polish this a bit and post it.  Getting close to three paragraphs.

Thanks again. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They celebrated the next two Christmases together at the ranch, each better than the previous, more smiles, more presents, bigger tree with lots of lights and ornaments.  They made their upstairs domain more comfortable, adding a couple of chairs and a table, but always ate downstairs with Jack’s parents, and always spent time downstairs with them after dinner.  They fought, as all couples do, but never went to bed angry with each other. 

Ennis kept his part-time job at Murchison’s, and spent the rest of his time working at the ranch.  After a lot of arguing, and some stomping up and down the stairs, bouts of make-up sex, and weekends of Mrs. Twist’s home cooking and cherry cake, a reluctant Ennis moved to the ranch full-time on Valentine’s Day.  The clincher for Ennis came when Andy Murchison allowed as how it was “right nice and unexpected” of John Twist to ask his son’s best friend to move in, and Ennis shouldn’t look that gift horse in the mouth, and besides it would save him rent money.  Mrs. Callahan’s loss over at the boarding house was Mrs. Twist’s gain in her own house.   She hadn't smiled so much in years. 

Gradually the ranch took on a shine it hadn’t seen in decades, the result of hard work, common sense, and not a little arguing.  Crop yields were up, and the cattle had never looked better, looked like they would garner much more at auction in the Fall than before.  Mr. Twist pushed both partners to the limit, sometimes resulting in one of the three of them, or the two partners together, taking off on a long horseback ride to mull things over.  “That’s the way I’ve done it since before ya were born, and yer grandaddy before me,”  “Yeah, well if it’s that old, then it’s past the time to change it, would improve the yield and fatten up the stock.”  “Yield is just fine.” “For what? We can git more, and do more with what we git than what we got now.” “Yer makin’ no sense, boy.”  “I ain’t a boy no more, Dad.”  “Uh, he’s right, sir, that new seed would really help, the guys at Murchison’s talked about it when it came in, others’re using it and swear by it already.” “Well, if ya think so, then mebbe we should at least try it on one of the pastures.”  “Dammit, Dad, why didn’t ya agree when I told ya?”  “”Cause he’s got a lot more sense than you, and if Andy Murchison…” “Shit, can't never do anything right fer ya. Where’s my horse?”

Folks in town gradually got used to seeing the two of them around, Ennis working at Murchison’s and Jack coming into town for supplies.  The ladies at Mrs. Twist’s church tried to set them up with some eligible daughters, but they both declined, stating they were too young to think about settling down.  Best to be safe.  Once in a while they headed to the Stumble Inn on First Street on Saturday night, laying back a few beers and playing pool with the guys.  After a couple of months, Larry Atkins called out as they walked in, “Well if it ain’t the partners.”  The room seemed a bit stifling all of a sudden, and Ennis looked like he was about to either bolt or put his fist down Larry's throat, when Jack laughed and said, “Yeah, it’s Butch and Sundance, here ta rob ya of yer hard-earned money at pool.”  Everyone guffawed at the joke, and for a while the barflies called them Butch-and-Sundance, though the guys refused to say which was which, and soon they went back to being good old Jack and Ennis from the Twist Ranch. 

Jack was learning.