Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476189 times)

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:43:41 am »
 :) this one always get to me:

when Jack drives up from Texas after the divorce and Ennis tells him that he has the girls that weekend, Jack is so caught up in the moment and anticipation of being with Ennis that he even has his tongue sticking out a little and then licks his lips - I'm never sure if it was intentional or not, but it says a lot about Jake and Ang if it was deliberate and then he ends up so crestfallen and weeps - I literally ache for Jack..................... :'(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:14 am »
Another detail from that scene (tho not lovable) is that after Ennis and Jack embrace, Jack brings his hand to Ennis neck as if he's going to pull him in for a kiss, but Ennis roughly knocks his hand away. You have to look quickly to see it, it just registered subconsciously for me the first dozen  ::) times I saw the film. But now, I see it and, Mr. Bill-like, I say, "oh no!"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:45:37 am »
The hand in mouth after the divorce scene...My heart breaks for jack there...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 12:19:35 pm »
Jack's body-draping at the very start.. I cannot watch it without a slight moan of desire escaping my lips.  Every time. 

I also love the profile shot of Jake just before the "nobody's business but ours" line. You can see every emotion fleet over his face then.. he's already in love and he's just scared to death that it was just a one-time thing for Ennis, especially after the "one shot" line. He's debating how to keep the door open, so to speak and you can see the vulnerability again.. just amazing acting on Jake's part...

I couldn't agree more.  And the latter is one of the few times we see how vulnerable Jack is - usually he tries to project a self confident, in control personality with Ennis. 
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 12:42:18 pm »
There's another detail, in which Ennis does not what I expect him to too: it's the scene when he gets the first postcard from Jack. He washes his hands, picks the postcard and reads it. Then heads for the next room and we see him from behind. He puts his left hand to his back in a well-known manner. I always think he will tuck the shirt in (I love this mannerism). But no, he just wipes his hand at his shirt (cause he didn't use a towel after washing them). Always makes me laugh, because this time he does not tuck in the shirt.

And the weird thing is, in the trailer he DOES tuck in his shirt! So why doesn't he in the movie? Maybe they (Ang, Heath, etc.) thought there were already too many shirt tuckings. Or ...

Is it just me, but -- let's see, how to put this delicately? I guess it's impossible -- does Ennis bolting from the room at just that moment, perhaps in combination with that hand gesture, somehow bring to mind the line from the story about how he wrang it out a hundred times thinking about Jack? I mean, Movie Ennis would never actually SAY that, but I'm sure that in fact it must have happened. And he's certainly thinking about Jack then. Maybe this is their subtle indirect tactful way of alluding to that.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But then, everything in this movie means something ...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 12:52:39 pm »
a subtle homage.

When Ennis is checking out the pickup truck as it's driving by in the distance when Jack has come up after getting the divorce postcard.  It shows shows how paranoid Ennis really is.

You think the man or woman in the pickup truck thinks it's odd to see two guys talking together in a field? It just re-enforces how wary Ennis is of being seen with Jack. 

I like the whitewater imagery. I don't know if their is symbolism there, whitewater that is, but alot of the scenes between Jack and Ennis take place near water. I know, there suppose to be fishing, so it makes sense to camp out by water, but they weren't fishing.

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 01:05:43 pm »
I watched again last night on DVD, and noticed a detail that someone pointed out on imdb.  At the divorce, in the courtroom, Ennis sheds a tear in his left eye.  It doesn't actually fall out, just starts to drip over the edge of his eyelid.  Heath is so talented that he could do that, start tearing up on cue.  Whoa!  Look for it next time you watch, it's sooo cool.  It shows that he is so unhappy, even when getting the divorce, he's miserable.  I really don't think he wants to be alone, it's just he can't help it. 
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 02:45:43 pm »
I love that, too, Pat.  (I watched it again last night, myself.  :))

After Jack says on the mountain, "Kept his secrets to himself, never taught me a thing, never once come to see me ride," he takes a swig from the whiskey bottle and then kind of smacks his lips.  The way he does that - partly as a reaction to the bite of the liquor, but mostly out of bitterness about his father's neglect - just stabs me in the heart.  I know I've felt that kind of bitterness toward my parents at different times in my life, and it's just so perfectly expressed there that I'm right back in that feeling every time.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 03:12:04 pm »
Another detail from that scene (tho not lovable) is that after Ennis and Jack embrace, Jack brings his hand to Ennis neck as if he's going to pull him in for a kiss, but Ennis roughly knocks his hand away. You have to look quickly to see it, it just registered subconsciously for me the first dozen  ::) times I saw the film. But now, I see it and, Mr. Bill-like, I say, "oh no!"

Ooh Ooh Ooh...I forgot about that one...love it
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 03:19:48 pm »
One thing that made me jump first time I saw the film: in the morning after tent scene 1, as Jack is coming up to Ennis, Ennis cocks his gun to put it in its holster; I thought he was going to aim it at Jack, as if to say "don't you dare come near me again!, which could've worked given the hurt look on Jack's face.

Another detail I noticed from the start but never saw mentioned anywhere: near the flat above the laundromat where Ennis and Alma live, there is a big building with this sign on it: ELKS ! I think that is one of those details, like a wink at the viewer, signalling Jack's presence or upcoming arrival.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"