Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476184 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 12:42:35 am »
Ooh, I want to look for that log scene!

in tent scene 2, the little kiss that Ennis plants on Jack's chest.

Has anybody else seen this? I keep looking for it but I always miss it. Oh, well, it just gives my future viewings the opportunity to be even better.

Whenever he rushed out of the kitchen, I always thought he was going to go put the post-card in a safe place. But it seems so clear that Ennis left the room so fast, excited, and (taking care of the post-card, of course, as he still is 20 years later) masturbated.

I love Lureen's whimper during the phone call scene. I've heard you can see the nicotine stains on her teeth toward the end of the movie as well but I'm always crying too hard and end up missing it.

I love the 'weighing' camera move, brought up by CaseyCornelius on IMDB.

I love the use of wind! I love how it's always associated with Jack and it's still there after Jack dies, seen and heard, and through that we know Jack's spirit is still with Ennis. (Powerful.)

There are many more that I love... I'll add those later...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 01:26:25 am »
The Elks is an extremely conservative men's organzation--and that's what it means to me.
I love that Ennis allows himself to touch Jack directly following his little display of prowess in securing an elk/ food for Jack.  Jack tending to Ennis's wound following the bear was Jack's first attempt at physical contact.  And the elk "mini tussle" is Ennis's first.  Also, in the last argument scene between Jack and Ennis, when Ennis is trying to get Jack to warm up to the idea of November he specifically mentions elk to try to appease him.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, in the movie elk seems to = aphrodisiac. 

Say it as many times as you like, Amanda, it's a really amazing concept.

Also, I like the way you describe the touching scenes above. I really love that one after the elk gets shot. Jack praises Ennis and Ennis tries not to show it but you can tell he's pleased. Jack pushes him over in a way that just seems spontaneous and natural for Jack. Then you see Ennis go through that tiny moment of hesitation. It's like he quickly calculates and decides, yeah, I can do it, it's OK in this situation -- and when he gives that push you can tell how much he really wants just to touch Jack. And of course he combines it with a teasing insult, just so nobody gets the wrong idea ...

It's very, well, touching.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 03:02:52 am »
Hi Penthesilea! It's great to have you here!

I'll have to go back and watch that trailer again. Between theater viewings of the movie, I must have watched it a hundred times (as opposed to wringing it out a hundred times) before I discovered the message boards and YouTube were a more effective way to exercise my obsession. Since then, I haven't been back, so I'm probably remembering wrong.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 03:23:52 pm »

LOL, very witty.    :D

Heya bbm_stitchbuffyfan!  Yup, Ennis does give him a tiny little kiss on the chest in the 2nd tent scene before Jack rolls over on top.

new cute detail- I quite enjoy how careful Ennis is in his culinary efforts while he's still camp tender.  I love the scene where he seems to be taking great care to salt and season whatever it is he's frying over the campfire.   This is just as Jack is coming down off his horse, complaining about his herder job as normal.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 05:34:58 pm »
atz, some of your favorite details are also some of mine! I like to think that bird cry in the canyon was that of an eagle. It's certainly a bird of prey of some kind. Oh, and in the first tent scene, not only did Jack unbuckle his belt but also unbuttoned his jeans with his left hand (I did'nt hear any zipper, but when Ennis did the same, I heard unzipping).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 05:43:32 pm »
The Elks is an extremely conservative men's organzation--and that's what it means to me.
I love that Ennis allows himself to touch Jack directly following his little display of prowess in securing an elk/ food for Jack.  Jack tending to Ennis's wound following the bear was Jack's first attempt at physical contact.  And the elk "mini tussle" is Ennis's first.  Also, in the last argument scene between Jack and Ennis, when Ennis is trying to get Jack to warm up to the idea of November he specifically mentions elk to try to appease him.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, in the movie elk seems to = aphrodisiac. 

Say it as many times as you like, Amanda, it's a really amazing concept.

Also, I like the way you describe the touching scenes above. I really love that one after the elk gets shot. Jack praises Ennis and Ennis tries not to show it but you can tell he's pleased. Jack pushes him over in a way that just seems spontaneous and natural for Jack. Then you see Ennis go through that tiny moment of hesitation. It's like he quickly calculates and decides, yeah, I can do it, it's OK in this situation -- and when he gives that push you can tell how much he really wants just to touch Jack. And of course he combines it with a teasing insult, just so nobody gets the wrong idea ...

yeah, it is. i never noticed that detail, until Amanda pointed it out. I love seeing that detail.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 06:47:55 pm »
I BELIEVE--pLease, someone watch it closely for me..sniff..that after the two pushes, and after Jacjk say 'don't wan't the Game and Fish catch us with no elk," there's another little bit of touching on both their parts as they staNd up--a SORT OF HOT DOG! WE GOT MEAT, YEAH! lET'S GET GOIN" TOUCH...

I'm svaing DVD #7 and #8 till my Toshiba gets home..made a pilgrimage to Target...it can't get any worse, so maybe it'll get better...oh: one's the widescreen, and one's the fullscreen...

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 07:58:33 pm »
I BELIEVE--pLease, someone watch it closely for me..sniff..that after the two pushes, and after Jacjk say 'don't wan't the Game and Fish catch us with no elk," there's another little bit of touching on both their parts as they staNd up--a SORT OF HOT DOG! WE GOT MEAT, YEAH! lET'S GET GOIN" TOUCH...

I'm svaing DVD #7 and #8 till my Toshiba gets home..made a pilgrimage to Target...it can't get any worse, so maybe it'll get better...oh: one's the widescreen, and one's the fullscreen...

You're right...just saw it.

In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 10:53:39 pm »
-On a completely different note... I love that Jack unfastens his belt with one hand in the first tent scene.  And yes, this makes it pretty clear that he's a lefty.
 :D

Thank you for that detail. On some other thread, a long time ago, I suggested that Jake/Jack was left-handed, based on his can-opening method, and turkey carving way. On further viewing I had second thoughts and felt a fool for having metioned it (I think it's on one of the I love everything threads in the archives). Anyways, thanks for that additional observation - (You gotta admit, he's opening the can o'beans in a rather weird way!)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 10:57:37 pm »
How about the little "Whoop, Whoop" noise Ennis makes to distract his girls shortly after the "If I had three hands I could" comment.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer