Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476186 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2006, 07:21:21 am »
there were 3 full moons.

Three?    Lets see... We see Ennis's moon when he's washing up.

Then Jacks moon when he's washing their clothes by the stream.

Oh yeah!   two more moons when they are skinny dipping!   

You are wrong.  That is four!    ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2006, 01:21:31 pm »
I don't know if this has already been discussed but.....

I part when just before Ennis leaves the Twist house John Twist says 'tell you what...we got a family plot and he's goin in it'....Mrs. Twist grabs her neck/collarbone and sort of rubs it...it is almost as if his (John Twist) words are chokin her....you know what I mean? 

Just a little detail that I've always noticed...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2006, 04:54:59 pm »
there were 3 full moons.

David!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You :laugh: slay me!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now that's funny!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
But you forgot about the ASStral (sp?) moons!  :-*
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2006, 05:28:06 pm »
I don't know if this has already been discussed but.....

I part when just before Ennis leaves the Twist house John Twist says 'tell you what...we got a family plot and he's goin in it'....Mrs. Twist grabs her neck/collarbone and sort of rubs it...it is almost as if his (John Twist) words are chokin her....you know what I mean? 

Just a little detail that I've always noticed...

Also, "tell you what..."  same words his son used when telling Ennis he missed him. :'(
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2006, 06:48:08 pm »
there were 3 full moons.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2006, 07:26:08 pm »
Lovely lovely post, Barb. Howdy by the way. Your necklace should arrive in a couple of days. So, yes, I need to look for the wind blowing more in that Alma/Ennis scene in the bedroom; it's been mentioned before by EnnisLovesJack I think. And I love that you said 'Hiya, Jack' to the wind! *wimpers from the bittersweetness*. The whole "Love is a Force of Nature" thing just has so many layers. It's truely astounding how gorgeous that metaphor is.

And here's my favorite un-talked about moment (at least to my knowledge--hope I'm not repeating someone else's thoughts): I always LOVE LOVE LOVE the shot of Jack looking for the blue parka in the closet, standing with his weight on one leg like that, cute butt, purple shirt, kinda annoyed in this adorable way b/c he's wantin a redline it but can't leave yet.

I love Jake's butt in that scene! not such a subtle detail, but very lovable!

Aw, thanks, sweetie!  And I've, uh, noticed Jake's butt in that scene, too...

Here's another lovable subtle detail I can't believe I've never really noticed/thought about until just last night when I was watching it yet again:

Both times when Ennis and Jack embrace face to face - in the reunion scene and the after the divorce scene, we hear a soft but definite moan eminate from one of them upon coming together - the kind of sound one makes when a long-unquenched thirst has just been satisfied - and I believe it's coming from Ennis the first time and Jack the second.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 10:33:54 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2006, 08:04:58 pm »
i love the subtle wind in the very tops of the trees as Ennis is leaving the house in Lightening flats with the shirts..like Jack is there, in the wind.and annther observation.of course, letf to ones interpretation...i think when mrs twist is looking at Ennis adn rubbing her throat...she is hearing the old man, and she is giving Ennis a very definate "look" like she was willing him to understand waht she was unable to say...he is looking back very intently, she says, you come see us again, yo hear? ennis nods and i think it is more in understanding of what she is trying to tell him than affirmative about coming back to visit...i she was silently saying you come back and i'll make sure you have jack's ashes to take to brokeback..its what my only son wanted and i will make it happen...
she seemed, from the first moment she saw Ennis, to know just who he was and the importance of him being there... i'm sure she and jack were close, she probably tried to protect him from the old sonofa bi*h all his life and i think he told her about Ennis...sought out her advice..confided to her..you can tell she loved him unconditionally...but was still battling the old man and had probably been the reciepent of his abuse too...
and Ennis never stopped loving jJack, even after the old man's "stories"  i think he embellished it too....just to hurt Ennis and through him, Jack, even in death...old sob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:06:45 pm by maggiesmommy »
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2006, 10:38:49 pm »
maggiesmom, you got it.  Completely.  Mrs. Twist knows that the love of her son's life is in her house.  She wants to keep him there as long as possible so as to keep a piece of her beloved son alive - hence the "You come back and see us" and the grasping at her own throat.  But we know Ennis will never come back - he's seen all he needs to see.  And really, so does she.  That's what so overwhelmingly (in my case, anyway) heartbreaking about this scene.
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2006, 10:42:46 pm »
Mrs. Twist knew those shirts were there.   Thats why you see her smile when Ennis comes back down to the kitchen.  She wanted him to find the shirts.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2006, 10:47:55 pm »
Mrs. Twist knew those shirts were there.   Thats why you see her smile when Ennis comes back down to the kitchen.  She wanted him to find the shirts.

Yeah I agree.....I think thats the main reason she wanted him to go up there....to find the shirts...