Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476203 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »
Apologies if this has been mentioned before!!!!

I love when Ennis gets the 1st postcard and rubs his thumb along the edge of it.
It is almost as if he cannot believe what he is seeing/reading/holding.Particularly considering how much time has passed.
I can remember getting cards from loved ones ,and fngering them in just such a manner. The person almost becomes tangible ,as if touching something they have also held provides a link to them,makes you feel just that bit closer to them.
His expression is also a lesson in understatement ,and at the same time portrays so much.
How sad that such talent is no longer with us.
Why do the good always die young?

I loved that little gesture with the postcard too! And the fact that you could see his lips move as he read the words again. It shows such sensitivity underneath that tough exterior.

Just like the last scene in his trailer when he was rubbing his finger over the postcard of brokeback mountain again.

It is mesmerizing!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
I loved that little gesture with the postcard too! And the fact that you could see his lips move as he read the words again. It shows such sensitivity underneath that tough exterior.

Just like the last scene in his trailer when he was rubbing his finger over the postcard of brokeback mountain again.

It is mesmerizing!

How true,
how can I have forgotten the last post card scene,I have sobbed over it enough times!!!!

I also have to say I just love the Daniel Day Lewis quote at the bottom of your posts .I could not have said anything truer myself.

Any interview I  have watched with Heath he always struck me as one of life's thinkers. I loved the fact that he was not afraid to be so soul searching and introspective. So many people are too scared to scratch more than skin deep,for fear of what they may discover.

I also loved his self deprecating humour,and genuine humility, something not often seen in the "big stars". Maybe in the end he just gave too much of himself.

He reminds me of a comet,burning so brightlly,all too briefly,a wonder to behold and then all too quickly gone.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50:05 pm »
I loved the look Jack gave when Randall was propositioning him and he realized he just wasn't innerested in Randall...because he loved Ennis. And Ennis gave this same look after he dropped LaShawn cold and she told him "Girls don't fall in love with fun."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #473 on: February 25, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
Here's Ennis giving The Look.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #474 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:02 am »

It is mesmerizing!

the lips moving also show that Ennis has trouble reading, or seeing the words clearly.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #475 on: February 26, 2008, 12:55:11 am »
I loved the look Jack gave when Randall was propositioning him and he realized he just wasn't innerested in Randall...because he loved Ennis. And Ennis gave this same look after he dropped LaShawn cold and she told him "Girls don't fall in love with fun."

I agree, Randall was just an Ennis substitute.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #476 on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:10 pm »
I think that has already been said,but I find particularly nice the motel scene,when Jack asks Ennis "What about you?"-referring to the four years they have been far from each other-.Ennis answers "I don't know" and for a moment he seems as if his eyes were full with tears.Not finding a real answer,as always,he strokes Jack's arms slightly and tenderly.For a man of few words as Ennis is,this is a love proof,that Jack itself realises,since he says immediately after:"Old Brokeback got us good...".A very nice scene indeed. :-*
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2008, 11:06:55 am »
I'm not sure if this fits to lovable subtle details, but it is a small detail and a new thought on my side.

We all have noticed Heath's wrist tattoo (left wrist, looks like a leather strap and on the inside he has the letters KAOS, standing for his mother and sisters) being visible the one or other time in BBM.

Yesterday I saw BBM again and I saw this tattoo not only here and there, but numerous times. As I said on another thread, maybe I was just more receptive to it, I don't know.  :-\

But the thing is: why do we see the wrist tattoo - but not one single hint of his other tattoos? He didn't have the leaf on his hand and the ones on his forearms by the time of filming. But he did have the ones on his shoulders. And they were covered up properly, you didn't even see the smallest hint of them. Also, I've seen I'm not There last week and you don't see anything of the wrist tattoo. It can't be too hard to cover up a tattoo properly.
So why is the wrist tattoo visible numerous times? Ennis sure would not have a tattoo. But still, I think of the tattooed lady in the dance scene with Cassie.

Logic tells me we see Ennis's/Heath's wrist more often than his shoulders, so there simply is more opportunity for a mistake to happen and the tat not being covered up properly.
And yes, I know it would be far-fetched to assume we see the tat on purpose. But then, we've discussed other far-fetched details before (and sometimes asked ourselves if we're seeing ghosts  ;)) - but this detail is bugging me since yesterday.

Any thoughts?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
I don't have any thoughts on your observation per se, except to wonder why actors get prominent tattoos in the first place. Same with pierced ears.

I understand the appeal of the look, but when I see an ear piercing on a man playing a character who would not have a pierced ear, I'm always distracted -- it reminds me that it's an actor playing a role. Similarly with tattoos: a discrete tattoo here or there is fine, but why get really visible, numerous, ink-heavy tattoos that must be (inadequately) disguised with makeup? Why voluntarily do something to your body that is counterproductive for your work/art?

OK, sort of OT, but this always puzzles me.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2008, 11:35:14 am »
I would think that they get the tattoos because they must know that they're easy to cover with body make-up.  Otherwise, you'd think it would actually put their casting opportunities in jeopardy.
But, it does seem like quite a pain... so I guess it must just be that certain actors are really passionate about getting tattoos.  At least pierced ears are more easy to deal with by removing the earring or even letting the hole grow closed... pierced ears seem like a more subtle problem cosmetically.

The question of pierced ears actually makes me think of the motel scene.  To me, Jake's ear always looks like the kid of ear that has once been pierced but has grown back together again.  I don't know... maybe that's just what his ear looks like.  Does anyone know if he once had pierced ears?  I'm exposing the fact that I'm not the most knowledgeable Gyllenhaallic (or Heathen for that matter) here.

But, back to Chrissi's question.

I think you might be right that the glimpses of the wrist tattoo probably are largely little production errors... and there probably were lots of opportunities for these errors since Ennis wears gloves and long shirts/jackets that probably could interfer a lot with body make up used to cover up the wrist.  Also, maybe the tattoo that looks like a piece of string isn't really that distracting or problematic since I guess it could be conceivable that Ennis might at times have a piece of string tied around his wrist.  Essentially, visually it's not so distracting (maybe?).  Or, I guess one option is that for some reason Heath wanted the wrist tattoos visible on occasion for some reason... but that somehow seems unlikely.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie