Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476074 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2006, 05:01:15 pm »
Yup...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2006, 06:44:40 pm »
Well, fortunately, Roland, everyone else seems to have gotten my point...

I would like to carry this "hard-ons" thing a bit further--this is just a querry, based on my own  experience.

The other day, I was sitting in psychology group, thinking about Brokeback Mountain, and not psychology group, as usual--but my eyes happened to rest on Diana Levy. Diana is aboiut 20 years yonger than I, very attractive in a quiet sort of way, dark hair to her shouolders, brown eyes, gentle lines, (about 2) in her face, and a soft voice. We are good friends..

I startred thinking (I am absolutely stright. and have been for 71 years), that if I had to--because i had wound up in a movie somehow, and so had she--kiss her repeatedly for as long as half an hour (allowing times for re-takes), her body pressed against mine--that I would be pretty hot and bothered by the end of that time! Just the closenewss of an attractive human being, of either sex, for so long as time...

I ran this by my ex-husband (who forgot to move out after we got divorced ), and he said "How old am I" and i said "sbout 25." (he is also straight). he laughrd, "I would have come twice during that time, and be ready for more."
"Gosh,--you unberstand, this is another man, a friend, attrative--but you're not gay, not in love".
"At 25, I couold come, walking down the street from my jeans rubbing against my stone-hard dick, so if I had to kiss an attractiver person for as prolongued period of time--of either sex--I'm SURE I would get a hard-on."
 In fact, he said, it wouold take him, at 25, about 5 minutes...

I'm suggesting that the problem may have been more real than we casually think...

yep, being 25, wearing tight jeans. that'd do it for me too, even without an attractive man or woman to rub up against. man! I was horny back then.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2006, 07:52:03 pm »
Wolf, I believe that zippers existed on levi's jeans as well as other brands - so I don't believe this to be a mistake, but buttons on wranglers - definitively never heard of that!

Sorry Julie. I can't discuss your point cause I don't understand what argument you are advancing.

Thanks Roland, for your reply.  Actually it might be a particularly Australian phenomenon, the buttons in 501's.  We get zippered Levi's here too of course, but not in 501's. 

Lovin' all this talk of hard-ons  :P

W

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2006, 08:14:01 pm »
Diverting the conversation... if only slightly.

I LOVE that Ennis wipes his mouth as he enters the apartment to introduce Jack to Alma.  I've said it before, but it's worth repeating.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2006, 09:07:57 pm »
I didn't mean to put you down, Roland--I sometimes talk in short hand. Youwould have had to read my previous TWO posts...

Speaking of my shorthand, did anyone notice that I changed the subject from Jack and Ennis to Jake and Heath? Just curious...not really important. I very rarely talk about movie actors, anyway....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:09:40 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2006, 02:37:50 am »
Well, pleaee don't ley me stop you from talking; I'm finished...

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2006, 09:02:02 am »
This thread has got me so frustrated for a DVD with commentary..but I doubt they'd go into detail on the hard-ons issue   ;D

The little detail I notice is the nail paint mark on Lureen's finger when she's on the phone ..to me that symbolizes the fact that she truly was cut up about losing Jack, even if they had grown apart. 

So many subtle details, so little time...
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2006, 07:02:23 pm »
me too. BTW, everyone saying she's wearing false fingernails--no WAY. There're not near long enough. Too conservatuive. She just swiped the brush dowen eax=ch one, ignoring the sides...not taking too good care of hert hands now.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2006, 07:07:55 pm »
I love that one of the first things that Ennis runs to pack after the motel and prior to the prayer of thanks camping trip is a toothbrush!  Very suggestive...  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:09:33 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

moremojo

« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2006, 07:22:08 pm »

5. As Ennis is leaving for the first "fishing trip," Alma looks out the window and hears Jack say, "I'm starving. Let's get something to eat." She starts crying at that point, perhaps partly because she realizes that Ennis' claim that Jack isn't the restaurant type was yet one more lie, and partly because she now grasps that Ennis wouldn't even consider asking her to fix something for them (and hence, in a way, doesn't need her any more). The latter thought, in fact, may explain her utter lack of sympathy for him in the "dinner's on the stove" scene.
Another implication of Alma overhearing Jack's request to grab a bit to eat, and Ennis's acquiescence, to my mind at least, is that it shows her how little regard Ennis has for her feelings compared to those of this unknown old buddy of his who she has seen kissing her husband. In the published screenplay, we are told in an authorial aside that Alma hopes for a rare social outlet in Jack's expected arrival, and thus proposes the restaurant outing; she has even donned lipstick in the anticipation of such an excursion. Ennis's characterization of Jack not being the restaurant type is not only a lie, but also becomes an insult to Alma, however unintended.