Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476051 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2006, 07:45:36 am »
I like to think that as time went by Ennis returned to Lightning Flat as Jack did at least yearly after his trips with Ennis to help on the old ranch. In Jacks place he may have come to live there after his father passed to help Mrs. Twist as his way of honering Jack and the kindness his mother gave him. Of course he would have Jacks childhood room, the shirts returning to the closet where Jack safley protected them for so many years. This is where Ennis would have felt closest to Jack, where he grew up.

OMG!
   That is exactly how I want to see the future for Ennis! 

Ennis has no family other that his daughters.   We know Ennis likes to work on a ranch, so why not up in Lightning Flat?    I can easily see him getting a postcard from Jacks Mom saying that the old stud duck has died and that Ennis is welcome to come back for Jacks ashes.    Ennis would go up there and end up helping our on the ranch.    With nothing back in Riverton for him except that lonely old trailer, he accepts an invitation to stay and live there while he helps run the ranch.    Maybe Bobby Twist gets thrown out of the Newsomes life when he comes out of the closet.  He ends up driving up to Lightning flat to meet his Grandma.      He meets Ennis who becomes a step Father to him.     

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2006, 07:56:22 am »

OMG!
   That is exactly how I want to see the future for Ennis! 

Ennis has no family other that his daughters.   We know Ennis likes to work on a ranch, so why not up in Lightning Flat?    I can easily see him getting a postcard from Jacks Mom saying that the old stud duck has died and that Ennis is welcome to come back for Jacks ashes.    Ennis would go up there and end up helping our on the ranch.    With nothing back in Riverton for him except that lonely old trailer, he accepts an invitation to stay and live there while he helps run the ranch.    Maybe Bobby Twist gets thrown out of the Newsomes life when he comes out of the closet.  He ends up driving up to Lightning flat to meet his Grandma.      He meets Ennis who becomes a step Father to him.     

Yep, then Ennis can take Jacks ashes and scatter them on Brokeback Mountain like he wante,d then we can all sit and bawl our eyes out again.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2006, 12:36:45 am »
Me too, Penth. One thing I have noticed is animal skulls on the wall when Jack and Ennis are together -- there's one in the bar where they're having beers and (maybe?) one somewhere else. So I always think, maybe that skull means something; I'd better watch and see if I spot any other skulls. I never do, but I'm not sure if that's because they don't exist or because I get too caught up in the story and forget to look. Anybody else see any?

Hey there Katherine.  Yes, there's definitely that large bull's skull on the bar wall behind Ennis's head (with the lasso around it) in that early bar scene.  Ennis gets the big skull/ lasso and Jack gets sunshine (and other details that are hard to pick out) as background details behind there respective heads.  And, the one other animal head I can think of is in Aguirre's trailer right at the beginning.  There's a sad little jackrabbit's (?) head on the wall.  It's not a skull... it's essentially a taxidermied head (it still has white fur).  I'm really not sure what kind of animal it is.

And, about this subject of the shirts... Yeah, I think it's a really good idea to point out that Mrs. Twist probably would realize that Ennis's shirt was not at all the style of shirt that Jack would have worn, so that she would be clued into its significance (by that and by her understanding of Jack broadly).  It's curious to note that Jack wears a patterned shirt to the reunion camping trip, because this is also the first time that we see him wearing that darned light-colored hat (always a bit of a puzzle to me... despite the numerous discussions here and there about the subject).  So, in the reunion Jack is taking a step towards dressing like Ennis.  I wonder though, did Jack wear a patterned shirt as one of his layers the summer that he returns to Aguirre's trailer (the look what the wind blew in scene)?  Still, I do think it may be significant that Jack is skewing towards dressing a bit like Ennis... Because, I've always wondered about Ennis's comment to Alma as he's rushing out the door to get to the motel following the reunion kiss.  He says his smokes are in "the top pocket of my blue shirt".  We've never seen Ennis wearing a solid blue shirt (a la Jack)... we have seen him wear the shirt with the blue intersecting lines with a white background (the "you bet" post office scene).  But, here at least Ennis is mentioning very Jack-like clothing.  Maybe a sign that this is a moment when they're truly interconnected.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2006, 01:07:19 am »
Hey there Katherine.  Yes, there's definitely that large bull's skull on the bar wall behind Ennis's head (with the lasso around it) in that early bar scene.  Ennis gets the big skull/ lasso and Jack gets sunshine (and other details that are hard to pick out) as background details behind there respective heads.  And, the one other animal head I can think of is in Aguirre's trailer right at the beginning.  There's a sad little jackrabbit's (?) head on the wall.  It's not a skull... it's essentially a taxidermied head (it still has white fur).  I'm really not sure what kind of animal it is.

And, about this subject of the shirts... Yeah, I think it's a really good idea to point out that Mrs. Twist probably would realize that Ennis's shirt was not at all the style of shirt that Jack would have worn, so that she would be clued into its significance (by that and by her understanding of Jack broadly).  It's curious to note that Jack wears a patterned shirt to the reunion camping trip, because this is also the first time that we see him wearing that darned light-colored hat (always a bit of a puzzle to me... despite the numerous discussions here and there about the subject).  So, in the reunion Jack is taking a step towards dressing like Ennis.  I wonder though, did Jack wear a patterned shirt as one of his layers the summer that he returns to Aguirre's trailer (the look what the wind blew in scene)?  Still, I do think it may be significant that Jack is skewing towards dressing a bit like Ennis... Because, I've always wondered about Ennis's comment to Alma as he's rushing out the door to get to the motel following the reunion kiss.  He says his smokes are in "the top pocket of my blue shirt".  We've never seen Ennis wearing a solid blue shirt (a la Jack)... we have seen him wear the shirt with the blue intersecting lines with a white background (the "you bet" post office scene).  But, here at least Ennis is mentioning very Jack-like clothing.  Maybe a sign that this is a moment when they're truly interconnected.

You are right Jack DID also wear a large pattern plaid under his outer shirt the next summer at the Agguire trailer.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2006, 04:56:21 am »
This talk of shirts.. just a thought, it's fairly way out but if I can't say it here where can I say it ? (The loony house   :laugh:) Maybe when they were apart they got to dressing a bit like the other in a way to make up for the absence, possibly even subconsciously, trying to make a connection somehow.  I know if I were apart from someone I felt strongly for, they would more or less be on my mind most of the time whether I liked it or not (like BBM is now!) and in everyday moments I'd think of that person.  "oh, XXXX would love that" , "this is XXXX's favourite food", etc. Somehow the same kind of thing might have extended to clothing.    ???
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2006, 07:02:57 am »
I know if I were apart from someone I felt strongly for, they would more or less be on my mind most of the time whether I liked it or not (like BBM is now!) and in everyday moments I'd think of that person.  "oh, XXXX would love that" , "this is XXXX's favourite food", etc. Somehow the same kind of thing might have extended to clothing.    ???
Absolutely, Nic. The symbolism of the shirts is so powerful. They really were thinking of each other by wearing each others colours. In the 'You bet' scene Ennis is actually wearing both colours. And not just the shirts, the symbolism comes through in the colour of their cars too. In the final lake scene, Ennis's car is blue and Jack's is brown.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2006, 08:08:05 am »
This talk of shirts.. just a thought, it's fairly way out but if I can't say it here where can I say it ? (The loony house   :laugh:) Maybe when they were apart they got to dressing a bit like the other in a way to make up for the absence, possibly even subconsciously, trying to make a connection somehow.  I know if I were apart from someone I felt strongly for, they would more or less be on my mind most of the time whether I liked it or not (like BBM is now!) and in everyday moments I'd think of that person.  "oh, XXXX would love that" , "this is XXXX's favourite food", etc. Somehow the same kind of thing might have extended to clothing.    ???

No, this is not way out. We've actually discussed this on another thread (don't remeber on which one). Ennis is wearing blue often when he's not with Jack. His blue Jeans jacket. He wears it only once when he is together with Jack (the scond to last trip when Ennis asks Jack whether he thinks sometimes that other people might suspect). Otherwise, he wears tan/brown/beige colour when with Jack (except the jeans).
And Jack wears solid blue/anthracite colours when with Ennis. Being not together with Ennis we can see him with a brownish jacket and pattern shirt at least once (in Aguirres trailer when asking for Ennis).
Does Jack wear a pattern shirt on another occasion than in Aguirres trailer? I think it's the only time, isn't it?

and in everyday moments I'd think of that person.  "oh, XXXX would love that" , "this is XXXX's favourite food", etc. Somehow the same kind of thing might have extended to clothing.   
Yep  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:09:48 am by Penthesilea »

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2006, 08:40:55 am »
Phew, I'm not going totally loopythen! (in that respect at least)  I assume this must be intentional on behalf of the film production & it's amazing they give this much attention to detail.  I wonder if they had a clue every single thing would be pored over to such an extent.  I'm sure they & the actors would be made up to know that the viewers pick up on these things. It is certainly a great film for subtle details. 
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2006, 09:07:19 am »
Nic, if you're loopy then most of us are. (Well, most of us are, but ...) Here's a thread called "color coordination" in which the significance of shirt colors and others is discussed:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1247.msg25186#msg25186

And the subject of colors is also a big part of the "black hats, white hats" thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0

There are lots and lots of examples. I think my favorite is in the tar-spreading scene. Tired of listening to his blabbermouth coworker, Ennis gazes off into the distance, thinking of Jack -- and wearing an uncharacteristically bright blue plaid shirt.

And speaking of truck colors, there's a blue and brown truck (faded blue with big splotches of light brownish rust) parked to the side of Aguirre's trailer. From some camera angles, it is between Ennis and Jack.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2006, 02:21:53 pm »
And, the one other animal head I can think of is in Aguirre's trailer right at the beginning.  There's a sad little jackrabbit's (?) head on the wall.  It's not a skull... it's essentially a taxidermied head (it still has white fur).  I'm really not sure what kind of animal it is.

Working from memory here (and it's been several weeks since I watched the movie), but I think it's a mountain goat. (Long, fuzzy white hair, little bitty horns?)

Another detail I like: when Ennis is following Jack into the bar at the beginning of movie, their strides are exactly in sync. Every single step, matching strides.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.