Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476104 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2006, 04:29:01 pm »
In the couple of seconds before it shifts to the "tent don't look right" scene, I love how, as Jack is carrying a big gnarly tree limb on his shoulder, Ennis reaches over and touches -  Jack's shoulder?  The wood?

I also love how in the close up of Jack saying "...redlined it all the way," Heath acts with his ear - you can literally see his ear smile.

I love how Jack's mouth twitches right before he says, "Friend, that's more words..."

I love Jack's facial response to "when I got the entry fee in my pocket," like "Oh yeah, I'm familiar with being in that situation!"

Cassie's face after Ennis says, "Good for you."

After Ennis tells Alma Jr. "With the round up coming, I won't ever be home," I love how his face is checking for reassurance from her that she is okay with him saying no.

Those are some.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2006, 04:48:22 pm »
Nic, if you're loopy then most of us are. (Well, most of us are, but ...) Here's a thread called "color coordination" in which the significance of shirt colors and others is discussed:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1247.msg25186#msg25186

And the subject of colors is also a big part of the "black hats, white hats" thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0

...snip...
Thanks for the links.  There is so much to check in my next viewing, plus being on the look out for more subtle details.  Never enough time, never enough... :)
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2006, 07:44:45 pm »
I also love how in the close up of Jack saying "...redlined it all the way," Heath acts with his ear - you can literally see his ear smile.

I've noticed this, too, but I'll have to admit I don't find it all that lovable because I would prefer to see his face. He smiles seldom enough as it is!

I love all your others, though, Clarissa. Particularly Jack's mouth twitching. So here's another mouth twitch I love: Ennis' twitch, in something like a smile, when Jack says "How bout you?" It's almost enough to make up for his lame answer.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2006, 07:54:06 pm »
Tell you what...  all these little subtle details we love make up the entire movie!

For what Focus features called "just an Art House Film", these boys sure put 110% into every little detail.   I don't even have to watch the film to start crying.   I just think of our beloved Jack & Ennis and I can get misty eyed.    :-\ 

I don't care what the Academy voters thought.  The more I watch this film, the more I feel it is an F'ing masterpiece!     

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2006, 07:59:26 pm »
today's favorite detail...

the quick glance that Ennis gives from his seat on the fireside log into the tent in which shirtless Jack is waiting for him ... helping himself gather the courage to take charge of his fate and enter the tent and Jack's arms.

(sigh).
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2006, 08:05:33 pm »
Tell you what...  all these little subtle details we love make up the entire movie!

For what Focus features called "just an Art House Film", these boys sure put 110% into every little detail.   I don't even have to watch the film to start crying.   I just think of our beloved Jack & Ennis and I can get misty eyed.    :-\ 

I don't care what the Academy voters thought.  The more I watch this film, the more I feel it is an F'ing masterpiece!     

Tell you what, DavidinHartford, your words are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT... and I don't think anyone here will lay you out in the wild columbine for speaking them. 

The layers and layers and layers of this story, in both filmed and written versions, continue to percolate through my mind and heart.  This obsession with a story is a completely new experience for me, and it's great to have this forum to help me continue to learn and think about it.

So, good to know you, BetterMostians!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2006, 08:09:21 pm »
A favorite detail of mine:   When Ennis is at the bridge picking up the weeks supplies, he lets out a frustrated audible pause when he notices the order is incomplete.    Poor Jack won't get his spuds!    And Ennis wants to please Jack!

So sweet.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2006, 09:00:55 pm »
Apologies if any or all of these have already been mentioned...

...I love the way that Ennis strokes Jack's collar in the flashback scene. Such a loving gesture.

...I also love the way Jack says "That ain't the point" when he's bitching about Aguirre making him sleep with the sheep. The way it's said smacks of a real intimacy in the (then) friendship to me.

...And i also love the look on Jack's face when he's trying to control his horse before the morning ride to the sheep (when Ennis leans back to check him out afterwards). You can see how desperate Jack is to look proficient at anything in front of Ennis, especially since he can't even open a can of beans without spilling them everywhere. It's so endearing.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2006, 12:25:15 am »
Another detail I like: when Ennis is following Jack into the bar at the beginning of movie, their strides are exactly in sync. Every single step, matching strides.

Yeah, this is a very nice detail, I agree.  I also love that almost without exception Jack is always in front when the two of them are traveling anywhere.  One of the cutest exceptions is following the mixed-up sheep herd fiasco, Ennis and Jack are riding side by side while Jack plays his harmonica.  I think everything about that little scene of them riding next to each other is meant to convey the idea that they're in harmony at this stage and things are at a relatively smooth moment in their relationship (the color of the sky, the smooth way the sheep are all moving together... and especially Ennis's smile and adoring look at Jack, all make the scene feel really peaceful to me).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ellemeno, this is a great detail and the idea of acting with an ear is fabulous.

Does Jack wear a pattern shirt on another occasion than in Aguirres trailer? I think it's the only time, isn't it?

Penthesilea, I think Jack wears a patterned shirt during the prayer of thanks camping trip.   
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2006, 01:10:26 am »
I love: Ennis' twitch, in something like a smile, when Jack says "How bout you?" It's almost enough to make up for his lame answer.

Oh yeah!  They both do amazing face-acting in that whole scene.  Ennis's whole face brightens up along with that twitch, from about 3% expressiveness to 9% expressiveness, which is a whole lot on the Ennis expressive-o-meter for any emotion other than anger.  And then damps back down again with "Reckon there's nothing we can do..."  :(

More face from that scene, Jack's "'course he hates my guts."