Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476062 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #530 on: May 01, 2009, 11:41:32 pm »
I find it very lovable that Ennis asks Jack if he's got a blanket on the night before the first tent scene. Ennis had started out being the camp tender and he would have known darn well where the blankets were kept but instead he asked Jack meekly for a blanket. In his drunkenness, he became almost like a baby and was inclined to follow Jack's orders later that night when he told him to get in the tent.  :)

This is an interesting observation about the blanket Lee.  You're right... he's asking about the blankets as if they really do belong to Jack, but he would have ben as much aware of their gear as Jack.

I love the fact that I see only Ennis and not Heath.

Yes, I agree with this too... and the same can be said for Jake/ Jack.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #531 on: May 02, 2009, 02:35:58 am »
I love seeing Ennis season the food he is cooking as if it was fine dining, and maybe it was. It seems such a l;oving thing to do.

I love the fact that I am still here discussing the movie, right down to subtle details. Ilove the fact that I see only Ennis and not Heath.

Yes, we do get so involved in other subjects on here, that we are spending less and less time talking about the movie. But thats not because we dont think about it, I guess its because most things have all ready been said.

And now, Im just reading about the blanket and Ennis seasoning the food, and I have a little smile to myself about those subtle details, and I'm sitting here now, smiling about our two boys and their little habits in the movie.

Actually having a giggle now, about Ennis shaking the salt and pepper, like he wa a chef in a bloody high class restaurant. You know I think I have always thought that, watching that scene, but didn't realize it, until you wrote about it.

I miss the boys, cause I havent watched the movie for quite a while. I think i will pay them a little visit, real soon.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2009, 08:53:19 am »
In the road work scene; the other man has his shirt open, but to me it´s a nice detail that Ennis doesn´t even though the heat almost calls for it. It works so well with the theme of Ennis not being open to others, but always keeping everything locked up inside.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #533 on: May 02, 2009, 08:59:47 am »
Very interesting posts, friends, so nice to see this thread active :D

It seems there are many references including the numbers in the 40's .I wonder if it is a deliberate link to the fact that Jack never made his 40th birthday, as in " he was only 39 years old" when he died, as said by Lureen on the phone to Ennis.

That however may be a leap too far but I always felt it was very poignant.In that he never reached the big 40 as it is often referred to.

Probably the 2 most cataclysmic events in Jack's life, one good, one horrendous, occurred in the last year of a decade.He met and fell in love with Ennis when he was 19 and he dies when he is 39. Yet separating those 2 odd numbers is 20 the number of years he knew Ennis. A very even number and in sharp contrast to the 19 and 39.

The 19,as in  the age of Alma junior when she tells Ennis she is getting married, surely has to be  reference to both Jack and Ennis.They were both 19 when they met, and Ennis had the opportunity to grab  what hopefully Alma is going to. A happy life with the one they love.He blew it so we hope in direct contrast Alma will grab it with both hands and run.

It is very poignant that Ennis asks if Kurt loves her, not the other way round.

Jack loved Ennis and he now knows it, in the same way he can finally accept that he loved Jack. The contrast is stark.The melancholy of Ennis all the more apparant.

to pick up on just one of your points above, Fiona, about cataclysmic events in the last year of decades...it was that way for Ennis, too - meeting Jack when he was 19, losing him when he was probably 39, too, and being taken to that ditch to see Earl's murdered body, when he was a little boy of 9.

And, in the story at least, Ennis' divorce, and the awful post-divorce scene when he rejects Jack and Jack heads to Mexico in despair, occurred "...when Alma Jr. was nine..."  Alma would have turned nine in 1973, when Jack and Ennis were both 29.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #534 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »
Yes, we do get so involved in other subjects on here, that we are spending less and less time talking about the movie. But thats not because we dont think about it, I guess its because most things have all ready been said.

And now, Im just reading about the blanket and Ennis seasoning the food, and I have a little smile to myself about those subtle details, and I'm sitting here now, smiling about our two boys and their little habits in the movie.

Actually having a giggle now, about Ennis shaking the salt and pepper, like he wa a chef in a bloody high class restaurant. You know I think I have always thought that, watching that scene, but didn't realize it, until you wrote about it.

I miss the boys, cause I havent watched the movie for quite a while. I think i will pay them a little visit, real soon.

I smiled too at the condiment/seasoning scene. It is so cute and I had forgotten how much I love talking about the boys.I too must pay them a visit real soon.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:08 pm »
It seems like at least once a week Jack and/or Ennis visits me in a dream and I wake with a feeling of joy or release, sometimes the sheets are wet (just a hot flash though) sometimes the pillow.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2009, 11:43:40 pm »
It seems like at least once a week Jack and/or Ennis visits me in a dream and I wake with a feeling of joy or release, sometimes the sheets are wet (just a hot flash though) sometimes the pillow.

I have only ever had Ennis visit me, sometimes it seems so real that when I wake up, it takes me a while to snap back into reality.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #537 on: May 04, 2009, 12:36:39 am »

I don't recall ever having a dream about Brokeback Mountain.  If I have, I really don't remember at this point.  Which is kind of a surprising thing given how much I've thought about that movie over the past several years. 

I do, however, dream about bull riding *a lot*.  Which I kind of find hilarious.  I tend to dream about games frequently (I've been known to have dreams about playing computer solitaire and board games, etc.).  Not that bull riding is a game... but maybe something about the competitiveness of it makes me dream about it.  My dreams are always about strategic aspects of various events.  It's a bizarre phenomenon.
 ::)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #538 on: June 07, 2009, 07:57:20 am »
I bet (and hope) someone here can help me with the full name (in the actual movie) of the bar Ennis rushes to after the Thanksgiving fiasco? None of my screencaps of the scene show the bar's name. I think I know the name, but I need to be sure!

I'd very much appreciate it!  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #539 on: June 07, 2009, 08:23:13 am »
I bet (and hope) someone here can help me with the full name (in the actual movie) of the bar Ennis rushes to after the Thanksgiving fiasco? None of my screencaps of the scene show the bar's name. I think I know the name, but I need to be sure!

I'd very much appreciate it!  :)

Black & Blue Eagle is what is says above the door