Author Topic: "My Happy Place"  (Read 2021 times)

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
"My Happy Place"
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:12:51 am »
We've all heard the expression "going to my happy place".  This saying has had an even more profound meaning for me, ever since reading about, reading the short story, and finally seeing Brokeback Mountain.

I find, when I'm stressed or feel the daily pressures of life getting to be a bit overwhelming, I take my mind up to the high pastures and campsites of Brokeback. (I've always loved camping.)  Just the mere thought of the clear mountain air, and all the smells, sights and sounds to be experienced in such a peaceful place, relax me, and help me to look at life through uncluttered eyes.

When I am able, I listen to either the Brokeback Mountain Soundtrack, or Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's album "Beyond the Missourii Sky" (Short Stories).  All the pieces on this album, help me to go to that happy place.  Of course, the piece entitled, "Spiritual", the one that helped to inspire Annie Proulx as she framed the words for the "Dozy Embrace" has an even deeper meaning because of this fact.  There are two other pieces as well, that I find particularly beautiful, both with the moon in their titles: "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", and "The Moon Song".  These two pieces remind me of all the full moon scenes we see in the film, and again I feel transported to that happy place, which in time, was the summer of '63.

Yup, I've found my happy place, and hopefully, before this summer is out, I'll actually be able to go there in person to experience all this natural beauty and happiness, first hand.

My sincere wish is for as many of my fellow Brokies, as possible, to experience the same thing.

THE WINGS

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "My Happy Place"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:20:19 am »
I finally figured out how to download "The Wings" as my cell phone ringtone last night.  Every time people called me today it felt so good to hear.  I picked it up at the last second every time, to hear as much as I can.  (Missed one call that way.)  :)