Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD  (Read 9017 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Jack, I swear..." on the DVD
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:54:06 pm »
Now, I saw BBM 38 times in the theatres.  Many different theatres to be exact.

I am 99% positive the "Jack, I swear" line is different on the DVD.  It sounds a little more quiet and emotionally reserved.  In the theatre it seemed more confident and powerfully delivered.

I'm also noticing more posts on TOB about people asking "What did he say at the end?"  We had none of that during the theatrical release.

Thoughts?

Offline DeeDee

Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »

I am 99% positive the "Jack, I swear" line is different on the DVD.  It sounds a little more quiet and emotionally reserved.  In the theatre it seemed more confident and powerfully delivered.

I'm also noticing more posts on TOB about people asking "What did he say at the end?"  We had none of that during the theatrical release.

Thoughts?

On this I will agree.  I had no problem hearing it multiple times in the theater.  When My
husband watched the DVD he called me to the living room and said, "What did he say?"

Sure enough, when I played it back, it almost sounded mumbled.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:14:07 pm »

Thoughts?
I have yet to watch the film's ending on my DVD--still too scared to let that devastation into my home. It'll happen sometime.

I do remember a few folks on TOB asking "What did Ennis say?", concurrent with others asking "What did he mean by that?" As I recall, even Oprah Winfrey asked Heath on her show what Ennis's last words were.

I wonder why the line would sound differently on the DVD than in the film. Would the people behind the DVD transfer really make a conscious effort to change it? It seems odd, and unpleasant to consider, as I would want the DVD to be as close as possible to what we experienced in the theater (though I confess I'm not complaining about the facial expressions and hand gestures I can now discern in the first tent scene).

Thanks for the heads up, sfericsf, and I'll keep my ears perked up when I do review this scene at some future time.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:06:52 pm by moremojo »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:19:42 pm »
I think I've only watched the end of the DVD once-I can't handle of week of emotional down-time right now. I don't remember it being different but I'll watch it tonight.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:26:17 pm by RouxB »

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:25:06 pm »
In the theatre, the word "Jack" had more of a yjack sound to it.  And 'I swear' was sincere and confident.

On the DVD, it sounds as if he's whispering and over-emotional.  If it has been changed, it's as if they tried to put more crying emotion into the line.  It's as if he's talking through his breath.

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:34:21 pm »
I think this is attributed simply to the transfer of the DVD and the home sound system, versus the different theater venues, prints and sound systems. 

I don't think the film was altered in any way prior to DVD release, and it sounds exactly the same on my commercial release DVD as on the Academy screener I have had since November. 

I saw the film in multiple theaters and two of them had slight alternations in their sound -- Dolby to THX, mixes between speakers that wrapped around versus just in front, audio too low, etc., and on a few occasions the "I swear" line was not audible and companions quickly asked, "What did he say?" 

It would seem an improbability that they would loop this line for the DVD in a different way, it's just not a standard thing to do and the explanation is likely a variance in sound systems. 

rt

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 05:47:20 pm »
I'm thinking rt is right, though I will say that the two times I've watched my DVD I've thought to myself, that line sounds really wrong, like they changed it.  I thought it was just me, I'm glad it isn't
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 01:00:16 pm »
I am just 99% convinced it's different.  It's as if he's trembling when he says it now on the DVD.  To me it didn't sound that way in the theatres.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:22:43 am »
The sound on my DVD just sounds a bit muffled in general.  I know some people have been complaining about the DVD being too dark, but for me the problem is definitely the sound.  I've been noticing the tears in Ennis's eyes a lot more during my home viewings than I did in theater viewings.
 :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 01:48:22 pm »
sfericsf and all, I noticed the difference as well. I never had a problem understanding it in the theater (although the question did get posted a lot), but I immediately thought it was nearly inaudible and mumbled on the DVD.  But I have to agree what others have said - it doesn't make much sense that they would deliberately alter it, it's most likely a transfer issue.
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 03:39:19 pm »
I just finished it and it "feels" the same to me.

O0

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:08:49 pm »
I swear, it's different on the DVD.  Really noticed it Saturday night at the Red Vic....

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
having had a client who is a sound mixing studio, i know they don't take the sound used in film directly to dvd. they will remix the sound because theater sound systems are different from home systems, obviously. While they don't necessarily take different tracks from the film, sound volume of certain scenes may turn out different, because of the remixing. This may be the case. I don't know if it's obvious to everyone or not, but films get remixed for the various places they get played in, ie. dvd, tapes, cable, air planes and theaters. The film get remixed for each of those outlets. Sometimes, they're not even done by the same studios. For example, my client did the air plane version of Charlie's Angels, but didn't get to do the dvd version.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 12:17:58 am »
Lately I can't help hearing the last line as "Jack, I'll swear..." which I know is wrong (I've seen the movie 5 million times by now).  I don't know what's wrong with me.   ::) :-\

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 05:36:02 am »

Thoughts?

Well my thoughts are that I'll agree with you!!!

I don't have the DVD yet - there is STILL no release date here in Oz, but on my Malaysian bootleg, its almost inaudible.  The cinemas played it loud and clear and yet I got to it on the DVD and I was initially annoyed, thinking the DVD burn had screwed up and almost deleted a line but having read your comment here, it is definitely different..  :-\

Will wait for the official DVD and see..
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 07:22:25 pm »
I'm also noticing more posts on TOB about people asking "What did he say at the end?"  We had none of that during the theatrical release

Actually, some people were asking that question after seeing the movie at the theater. I remember lots of threads at the TOB about it.

I don't have the DVD yet, so I don't know if the lines come different or not. It will be available for renting next week here in Madrid and for selling on June 7. I don't understand why there are two different dates for the DVD rental and the selling. It's stupid.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »
Lately I can't help hearing the last line as "Jack, I'll swear..." which I know is wrong (I've seen the movie 5 million times by now).  I don't know what's wrong with me.   ::) :-\
When I had my first phone conversation with my mother after we saw the film together (both for the first time), one week after the event, she invoked this final scene, and initially quoted it herself as "Jack, I'll swear...", correcting herself almost immediately with "Jack, I swear...". She mused that what Ennis never fully said here was, "Jack, I swear that I loved you."

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:43:37 pm by moremojo »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 09:13:34 pm »
I think evidence points towards lower audio levels on the DVD transfer.  In the theaters I had no problem hearing "Jack, I Swear", but on the dvd the volume is lower.

LittleGuitar, your avatar looks like the lovechild of Ziggy Stardust & Shirley Manson.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:09 pm »
Flashframe, that is Ziggy Stardust (or at least one manifestation of him). 
 :laugh:  :)
I know I'm not LittleGuitar... but I am an obsessed Bowie fan.  Sorry for interjecting...

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD ----OT
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 09:34:22 am »
Off topic here, but I wonder if Little Guitar has a larger size pic of that avatar pic.  I'd like to use it as a visual reference for an upcoming project.

ATZ75,  great.  It looks like a contemporary recreation of a cool Bowie shot though.  The lighting and film stock look too contemporary to be from the 70s.  If it's photoshopped, then someone did a heck of a job.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:38:59 am by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

rtprod

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 10:53:53 am »
I think evidence points towards lower audio levels on the DVD transfer.  In the theaters I had no problem hearing "Jack, I Swear", but on the dvd the volume is lower.

LittleGuitar, your avatar looks like the lovechild of Ziggy Stardust & Shirley Manson.

I hate to disagree here but the levels are fine on the DVD and this is likely attributed to a variance in theater sound systems and home sound systems.  Transfers of DVDs are hi-def and carefully handled for the most part, and I have noticed nothing aberrant on mine. 

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 01:30:41 pm »
I hate to disagree here but the levels are fine on the DVD and this is likely attributed to a variance in theater sound systems and home sound systems.  Transfers of DVDs are hi-def and carefully handled for the most part, and I have noticed nothing aberrant on mine. 

Interesting.  I've watched my commercial DVD on my brother's Klipsch sound system which a musician friend considers very good, and noticed a difference in the volume of Ennis' last line.   I have yet to compare the screener on his system, but I'd not noticed a difference in volume on that one - it seemed to be equal ratio to what the levels were in the theater.  I wonder if DVD's in different areas are pressed by different manufacturers who use a different set of standards?

rtprod

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 02:56:53 pm »
Interesting.  I've watched my commercial DVD on my brother's Klipsch sound system which a musician friend considers very good, and noticed a difference in the volume of Ennis' last line.   I have yet to compare the screener on his system, but I'd not noticed a difference in volume on that one - it seemed to be equal ratio to what the levels were in the theater.  I wonder if DVD's in different areas are pressed by different manufacturers who use a different set of standards?

Weird.  I think they were all "made in mexico" according to the labels on the copies i bought lol.

rt  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD ----OT
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 03:23:49 pm »
Off topic here, but I wonder if Little Guitar has a larger size pic of that avatar pic.  I'd like to use it as a visual reference for an upcoming project.
It looks like a contemporary recreation of a cool Bowie shot though.  The lighting and film stock look too contemporary to be from the 70s.  If it's photoshopped, then someone did a heck of a job.

LOL, it's a classic Mick Rock photograph from '72 or '73.  It may feel like ancient history, I guess.  He was among the most famous Ziggy-era photographers and his pics of Bowie as Ziggy tend to be very colorful... he's really a wonderful photographer. 

OK, I promise to return to topic after this...
 ::) :D