Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 41583 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »
Hey Lee, like I said I had to stick with it, and the parts I have been rereading first are in the last fifty pages since that is when it all comes to a head.  But since it is such a short novel, the buildup is not really that long.

It's fun when a friend actually tries a recommendation, funner if they actually like it.  Films come with all the machinery to be enjoyed and talked about by a lot of people at the same time, but sharing the pleasure of a particular book is a challenge.  There are so many more interesting books and they usually require more time and always, more discipline than films.  

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »
Are anyone into the subject pedagogy? I usually try to read one chapter each day about the subject. And  at the moment I am reading a book called A school for everyone, by Roger Säljö. I am sure majority would find this literature very boring and not as exiting as fiction, sc-fi or films, but I find this fascinating in my own little weird way.  :)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »
Love his name. Is it Säl-jö, or Sälj-ö?   :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 06:44:38 pm »
Love his name. Is it Säl-jö, or Sälj-ö?   :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The first sounds like the sound of the seal (not the artist) öh...öh... and the other version sounds like the island someone trying to sell to his stupid friend who are willing to pay enormously. The real pronunciation is sälj...jö. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2010, 01:10:47 am »
Andrew, I will definitely try By Nightfall. Buffy, are you going to be studying Sherlock Holmes in your detective fiction class?
Hi Lee, No, nothing by Doyle. Are you a fan?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »
Yes! I bought the three-volume set this spring in preparation for going to London and staying around the corner from Baker Street. I've fallen head over heels for the London sleuth and his right-hand man. One of the first and greatest buddy teams ever! Now I'm enjoying the three part series starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman on PBS as modern day detectives. The final episode is on tomorrow night...it was originally produced in Britain and probably available on DVD if it's not showing in your area.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »
Yesterday I had lunch with the proprietor of the bookstore who sold me the Sherlock Holmes set of books. When I emailed to invite him out to lunch he responded "Thank you for knocking me up." That's a Holmesian expression that I love! We went to a place about a block from his store called GB Fish and Chips, an authentic Brit place. It was fun, but I was somewhat too intimidated to really get into the Sherlockian discussion.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2010, 12:11:15 am »
Yesterday I had lunch with the proprietor of the bookstore who sold me the Sherlock Holmes set of books. When I emailed to invite him out to lunch he responded "Thank you for knocking me up." That's a Holmesian expression that I love! We went to a place about a block from his store called GB Fish and Chips, an authentic Brit place. It was fun, but I was somewhat too intimidated to really get into the Sherlockian discussion.

My sister and I went to the Sherlock museum at 221B Baker Street while we were in London.  Lots of fun that place.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2010, 12:35:53 am »
Cool! Then, do any of these photos ring a bell?

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2010, 12:51:50 am »
Cool! Then, do any of these photos ring a bell?

[/url]

Had lunch there.

Nice view of St. Paul's in the background.  This one's better  ;)

[/center]

[/quote]

Yep, yep and yep.

Didn't take the Thames cruise though my London friend recommended it.  I wanted to go to Brighton and my sister had breakfast with a friend who took the train up from Paris.