Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 41561 times)

moremojo

Re: Book Thread
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 10:12:31 pm »
Peter Pan makes his first appearance in this book, which was later revised and shortened as Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, my next read.
I once, as a child, owned a facsimile edition of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, with illustrations by Arthur Rackham, and loved it to itsy bitsy pieces. I cherished this incarnation of Peter even more than in the more famous stage variation; the book captured a child's fancy for seeing the magical and fantastic in the midst of our everyday world. Kensington Gardens became a hoped-for pilgrimage site for me, a journey which I have yet to commence. Your mention of the book brought back a swell of fond memories; I look forward to your thoughts on it as you choose to share them.

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 09:27:12 pm »
Scott,
on the subject of The Little White Bird/Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens - the first title is available new only as a plain paperback, without the fifty sensational Rackham drawings (a few of which are at a couple of websites,

http://www.nocloo.com/gallery2/v/arthur-rackham-peter-pan

and

http://www.art.com/asp/display-asp/_/id--16166/Peter_Pan_in_Kensington_Gardens.htm

How odd and unaccountable that a work that is often called Rackham's masterpiece is long out of print.  Dover Press has done the most for Rackham in recent years, including a Midsummer Night's Dream reprint with all the original color and black and white illustrations.  I have written to them to ask them if they would consider reprinting the Barrie/Rackham book.  Feel free to join me in the campaign!  The original edition that has all fifty pictures can only be bought from rare book dealers, at prices you can imagine.

moremojo

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 09:37:14 pm »
Oh...the memories! Thanks for those links, Andrew; what a magical book that was (is still for the lucky few)! My childhood copy was lost long ago during the course of my family's frequent moves (all in the same city!).

I'm remembering how the Serpentine beckoned as some impeccably enchanted realm. And of Lock-Out Time, and of how Peter could never return to the human world, to the tender embrace of his mother. So many little details dancing back into my memory...

Yes, I may join you in your campaign. This is surely one of the classics of books designed for the delight and edification of children, and should be more widely available.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2006, 06:52:23 pm »
Does anyone recommend a particular edition of Walt Whitman's poetry?
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:12 pm »
I will look up Wives and Daughters, Andrew, as soon as I'm done with The Time Traveler's Wife. It's very entertaining (the main character is the time traveler, a guy, LOL)
Here's some info on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers-Wife-Audrey-Niffenegger/dp/015602943X
I guess this was the first novel of Audrey Niffenegger, who next wrote The Secret Life of Bees. The film rights were bought up by Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt. I wonder who owns them now? The film is slated to come out in 2008.

I just started this book.  I'm about 100 pages in and I'm finding it very fascinating.  I absolutely LOVE books that are written in a diary-like form, or have very short chapters.  It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something *lol*  In any case, I've found the reading very enjoyable so far the storyline is great.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the movie, I'll certainly check it out.  It seems like it'd be complicated to create it.  And who's going to play Henry?  Hopefully someone comfortable with nudity!! *lol* 
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 10:01:45 pm »
Does anyone recommend a particular edition of Walt Whitman's poetry?

I don't have the attached edition of just the Calamus poems, but I would certainly be interested to see it, to see if any of the photographers have made work that grows out of the world of the poetry.  Sometimes it's worth it if even one seems to understand (the cover is promising...)

http://www.amazon.com/Whitman-Men-Celebrated-Contemporary-Photographers/dp/0789300222/sr=1-31/qid=1158544132/ref=sr_1_31/002-6314108-6466443?ie=UTF8&s=books

I DO have a very specific recommendation for Emily Dickinson (whom you didn't ask about, but she is Whitman's reverse side), and that is the selection of her poems published by Little, Brown of my own Boston.  This is the first edition which printed the poems just as she had written them, without all the changes of her early editors.  I have had this edition since I was in school.  You can buy it used for under a dollar plus shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Harvest-Emily-Dickinson-Poems/dp/0316184160/sr=1-2/qid=1158544617/ref=sr_1_2/002-6314108-6466443?ie=UTF8&s=books
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 10:15:59 pm by Andrew »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 11:55:02 am »
Oftentimes I skip the fiction in my weekly New Yorker because I'm more of a nonfiction person than a novel or short story person. But lately I've been trying to read all the fiction, because I'm looking for a "new" Brokeback Mountain. But, sadly, I haven't read anything that comes close. There was a pretty good story in the September 11 issue called "Black Ice." It is by Cate Kennedy and is set in Australia. Interestingly, the phrase "just an Aussie Sheila" is used in it, which is the first time I have seen that phrase used outside of Katie77's thread in "Our Daily Thoughts." The Sept 11 issue is the one that has a tightrope walker suspended in midair, with an inside cover that shows him with the WTC site in the background.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
The Whitman book I found in my daughter's bookcase (she is a master of all things transcendental) is Leaves of Grass, comprehensive reader's edition, published by The Norton Library. Would you like me to send it to you Daniel?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2006, 12:08:08 pm »
Re: who should be Henry, my vote is for Tommy Flannigan. Read more about him here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2833.msg98105#msg98105

He's skinny, looks good in long hair, and has intense eyes. And he's not too handsome--has a scar on his face (which I find hot!)

But the movie's probably been cast already.

What does this have to do with books? Very little!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 01:18:54 am »
I had a wonderful chat with an author at the "Equality State" book fair today in Casper, Wyoming. Her name is Lily Burana and she is a resident of Cheyenne who writes for the New York Times and other publications. I told her about this site, gave her the URL, and invited her to stop by. She wrote a message in her book "Try" which I bought, saying, "To the one and only Front Ranger, My best, Lily B." Later, at the Casper Library, I saw a book on display called "Lily and the Bull."

What is the significance of the title, "Try?" It is defined as "a rodeo rider's mettle in the face of being thrown time and time again."