Author Topic: Scene Discussion: Making Breakfast  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Scene Discussion: Making Breakfast
« on: June 17, 2007, 03:28:02 pm »
Here is another interesting scene in the movie. Here we see Ennis making breakfast for Jack as Jack rides up from a nite on the mountain in the pup tent that smells like cat piss or worse.

Notice something interesting about this scene? Here's a hint: We see a lot of things in twos...cans of BetterMost beans, salt and pepper, etc. But there's one interesting thing that is solo. What is it?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Scene Discussion: Making Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:40:42 pm »
We're playing quizzies tonight  ;)? Okay, I'll play along  :).

Ennis's glove and this thing are solo:

I have no idea how it is called in English, and this time my online dictionary doesn't help either.

The fork is not solo, because it's a pair with the frying pan, and the coffeepot is not solo because it's a pair with the bucket.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 05:13:17 pm »
Very good sleuthing, Chrissi. That thing is called a sieve, and I'm surprised about how often it appears in the movie. It is used to separate excess liquid in a dish such as ... soup!

I am hazarding a guess here that the cooking implements and the farming implements serve similar purposes in advancing the symbolism in the movie.

Now about the glove...you are right that Ennis is only wearing one glove. To show what is important about this, I have to go over to my other computer...just a sec.

RodneyFL

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:24:53 pm »
For one thing, a bull rider wears only one glove.  Any parallel to that???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35:53 pm »
You're very warm, Chrissi and Rodney...

Yes, a bullrider only wears one glove, particularly when said bullrider wants to gauge the "temperature of the coffeepot" so to speak!! And here is said bullrider now!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »
I just wish that danged ax wouldn't be forever pointing at his haid!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:43:52 pm »
For a discussion called "Hand in Glove" you are invited to click here as soon as you see the little white glove:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4692.0.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 07:00:33 pm »
Another thought about the ax...what if it has a greater meaning like the gun and the knives do? Not just that Jack is doomed, but something else. . .  It's interesting that the ax is a double-headed ax. In ancient Minoan civilization, this kind of ax was known as the labyris and it was a sign of the goddess. There was an ancient ritual, described by Mary Stewart in the book The King Must Die, where youths from mainland Greece were sacrificed by being sent to Crete where they learned a sport that included flipping over the back of a charging bull. A huge bull, an object of worship as well as fear, was kept in a maze/enclosure called a labyrinth, named after the double-headed ax.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 02:53:10 am »
All the items in pairs are maybe representative of Jack&Ennis as a pair and Ennis with the sieve could represent how Jack slips away from Ennis in death as their relationship drains away so painfully with Jack's passing yet to come?

tampatalon
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:40:38 am »
You're very warm, Chrissi and Rodney...

Yes, a bullrider only wears one glove, particularly when said bullrider wants to gauge the "temperature of the coffeepot" so to speak!! And here is said bullrider now!!

Soooo this shows that in the first picture Ennis is holding the (probably scalding hot) pan with a glove on, while in the second picture Jack takes his glove OFF to grab the (probably scalding hot) coffee can!

Does that say something about how they approach life, with and without caution?

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 08:38:21 pm »
Coffee pots sure get a workout in this film.   Besides what has been already mentioned, Ennis bangs on the pot when Jack finishes his song.  Also, isn't it the pot that Ennis is washing out in the stream when he gazes up at Jack on the mountainside?   And isn't it a coffee pot that floats away from him after they have their river-side argument about Ennis's "miserable f***in' life?
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:41:32 am »
Coffee pots sure get a workout in this film.   Besides what has been already mentioned, Ennis bangs on the pot when Jack finishes his song.  Also, isn't it the pot that Ennis is washing out in the stream when he gazes up at Jack on the mountainside?   And isn't it a coffee pot that floats away from him after they have their river-side argument about Ennis's "miserable f***in' life?

Yes the coffeepot sure is prominent. You're right about Ennis banging on it and washing it in the stream. But after the argument about the miserable effin life at the river it's not the coffeepot, but a bigger, cooking pot that floats away.
And don't forget that all the travellin' Ennis did was around the coffeepot, looking for the handle.