Author Topic: Would you make a good cowboy?  (Read 5704 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Would you make a good cowboy?
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:24:32 am »
Find this in today's NYTimes, thought it could be fun for those of you who have so much fallen in love with our cowboys that they want to be one.
Are you ready for that job?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ranchhouse/
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Would you make a good cowboy?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 01:14:21 pm »
Ooooh, I'm gonna watch this one!  Thanks for posting this.   :)

TJ

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »
I plan to watch the "Texas Ranch House" program which is actually a "reality" show.

I took one of the quizzes about expressions and I did miss some of the answers because Oklahoma cowboys didn't say things they same way they did in 1867 Texas. Well, actually there was no "Oklahoma" back then, it was only "Indian Territory" and most of the Texas beef that went to market was driven through IT.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 07:19:59 pm »
Well, I failed miserably!  There goes my ambition!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:03:12 pm »
Ooh, I'm a "Top Hand"!...  But now I'm not so sure how to interpret that.  It might be a good thing, it might not.  Oh hell, I don't care as long as I'm with Jack & Ennis!  No matter if I'm "top" or not, or what part of my anatomy is involved! ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

TJ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 12:12:27 am »
I missed only one question and that made me a "foreman." But, as a person who has always liked real Western history, have read several books written by cowboys, and been around real cowboys, I had a little extra savvy there. 

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:19:49 pm »
I got six right answers, making me a 'Top Hand'. I did so much better than I anticipated, but my thorough city-boy background really shows through here. Darn, this movie makes me wish I played cowboy more often in my earlier days!

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:11:07 pm by moremojo »

TJ

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 06:49:42 pm »
Oh, I played "cowboy" a lot when I was growing up. And, some of the time, I lived somewhat like a ranch boy, too; that was due to our living conditions in the country at times. I was never a "ranch boy" but, I was a farm boy who did go to school with the sons of ranchers.

Mom really did not like it when she would observe us playing cowboys against outlaws because she didn't approve of the pointing of a gun at another person, even when it was just a toy. But, when she was not around, we played by our rules, anyway.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:40:38 pm »
Watched the show last night.  Recorded it too.  Have the VCR set to record all four nights this week.   :)

TJ

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:34:53 pm »
I watched last night and I still plan to watch the next 3 installments, too.

My friend, Ken, and I could not unstand why the "owner" of the ranch and head of the ranch family wore a dress-up vest and a tie so much of the time. Why did they make the man and his family to be "fictional" people who had moved from San Francisco back East to Texas?

We both had lots of questons about how they were doing things on that show which seem to be contrary about what we personally know about the old West. Both of us have experience as country boys who grew up around farm and ranch animals.

I also found it interesting that in their church service, the wife was in charge. While that might have happened in 1867 Texas, I don't think that it would have been likely. Women ministers were rare in those days.

But, then again, this is just another reality TV show where most of the participants don't know that much about what really went on in the old ranch days of the 1800s and early 1900s.

I don't know all there is to know about the old West; but, my paternal grandfather, Lewis E. Doty, and his wife was in the land run of 1889 when they opened the Cherokee Strip in North Western Indian Territory which is now Oklahoma. Due to illness in the family and the death of a child, they left the homestead and moved over into what was the Creek Nation and into Okmulgee, the capitol. Grandad was a butcher when he as there. After Oklahoma became a state, the family moved back to the same area and lived in a house instead of a dugout. My father was born on July 4, 1911, 4 years after OK statehood.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:57:55 am »
I got six right answers, making me a 'Top Hand'. I did so much better than I anticipated, but my thorough city-boy background really shows through here. Darn, this movie makes me wish I played cowboy more often in my earlier days!

Texas Scott

I got a ten and an application for employment to fill out.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:19:21 pm by DecaturTxCowboy »
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

TJ

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:52 am »
I got a ten and an application for employment to fill out.  ;D

Well, yore a real cowboy, Good Buddy!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:22 pm »
Ok, I recorded this what, 9 months ago, and I've only watched 3/4's of the episodes over the last 9 months.  I should spend more time OFF of the computer!  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:40 am »
I'm a Top Hand!  Who knew?!?!
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:49:33 am »
So am I.  I got a 7.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 12:52:14 am »
So am I.  I got a 7.   ;D

We need to get ourselves a foreman and start a little cow and calf operation!  Of course, he/she'd prob'ly make us work through a blizzard!
 :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."