Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38192 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2007, 01:44:27 pm »
Here's something else that's worth trying, Del.

Clear your cookies, set your browser not to accept cookies, then go back to the website and do a whole new search for flights. It's possible you'll see a lower price.

A friend of mine tipped me off to this when we were both buying tickets to Italy. It worked for me then, and I've since had it happen several more times. I've read about it, too. Apparently the airlines figure that if you're going to check a flight twice it shows you're really interested, so they can safely raise the price and still get your business. So they put a cookie in your computer on your first visit, which alerts them when you go back.

But if the cookie is gone, they'll think you're a whole new potential customer and may give you a better price.

Thats a TOTAL tip! We should start a money savers thread with this one!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2007, 08:59:21 pm »
Here's something else that's worth trying, Del.

Clear your cookies, set your browser not to accept cookies, then go back to the website and do a whole new search for flights. It's possible you'll see a lower price.

A friend of mine tipped me off to this when we were both buying tickets to Italy. It worked for me then, and I've since had it happen several more times. I've read about it, too. Apparently the airlines figure that if you're going to check a flight twice it shows you're really interested, so they can safely raise the price and still get your business. So they put a cookie in your computer on your first visit, which alerts them when you go back.

But if the cookie is gone, they'll think you're a whole new potential customer and may give you a better price.

The bastards!!!!   Grrrrrrrrrrrr.  >:(  Damn sneaky of them.  Thanks for this major tipoff, crayon, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Del, don't feel guilty for something you can't help. I don't think it was really your fault. Airlines do that. One minute plane tickets are cheap and the next they're over the top. It happens all the time.

Thanks opinionista, I'm trying to get it in my head that this is an auspicious little hiccup as Jess says.  I don't like to travel together.  If something happened...well, those left behind would not be able to deal with our estates very well.  So I feel much better if we're traveling separately.  Increases the odds, you see.  This traveling separately also happened last time, which is also auspicious as our trips then were uneventful.  So now I'm trying to see it as a positive thing.  Course, my sister may not think so.  But, she wanted me to do the ticketbuying for her.  I never claimed to be any good at it.   :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2007, 09:39:40 pm »
The cookie thing - is that legal for them to up the price like that?  Looking back over the recent past, I've had that experience, "Hey!  It was lower a few minutes ago!"  Like del said, grrrr.  Thanks Katherine.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2007, 09:21:25 pm »
I am back from Paris and it was a great trip.  I'm going to post my observations and thoughts of my trip in serial format.  Some comments will be short and to the point, others much longer.  I hope you guys don't mind.  :)

I will start with the first, foremost and all important part of any trip I take overseas.  I cannot go anywhere without it and am on my knees thanking the gods for its invention:

For those of you who don't know, I'm petrified of flying.  Absolutely terrified.  I was sick to my stomach and had difficulty sleeping in the days leading up to my flight.  To add to my horror, my doctor was very conservative in prescribing the meds for my trip.  Assuming 1 was good for 6 hours, she only prescribed four .25 mg pills for my entire trip.  The flight was listed to last 11 hours one way.

Considering on a trip taken years ago, I gobbled 4 pills in one six hour period and even that had little affect on my fear when flying, I was in a panic about how I was going to cope when the pill wore off mid-flight and I was paralyzed with the fact that there was nothing below my feet but 6 miles of empty air.

My friend came to the rescue and helped me out in that particular.

You people who are used to flying will laugh at me for my dramatics.  The flights there and back - non-stop - were smooth and uneventful.  Even when we ran into storms over the Shenadoah Valley area, lightning and black clouds outside, there was next to no turbulence. 

Yes, .50 mg of Xanax will knock you on your ass.  I'm glad I didn't take the entire thing.  Perhaps 75% of it.  But it worked and help calm me.  I sat there, breathing shallowly the entire flight, reading one book after another.

However, I couldn't hold my water all the way to Paris and had to get up and stagger to the bathroom 1 hour out of Paris. It felt like I was walking on a beam above an abyss, the plane had that little substance to me.  I certainly managed to hold my water on my way back to Dallas.

Xanax works, so does denial.  My sister managed to snatch standby on our flight back and a few hours out of Dallas, she walked by, wrapped in a blanket and asked, "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good.  I'm in serious denial.  Right now, I'm imagining I'm on a big bus and it rattles every now and then when we hit a patch of bumpy road."

This dialogue must have amused the very-good-looking-Middle-Eastern-married-with-children-who-works-for-American- Airlines-and-though-based-in-Paris-was-headed-to-a-meeting-in-Dallas-man sitting next to me.  A few minutes later, he switched off his laptop and offered to share a packet of cookies with me.  We had a nice talk all the way back to Dallas.

Our last words were when the plane hit the runway with bone-jolting bump:

Him:  Is that a cowboy landing?
Me:  Welcome to Texas, yeehaw.

Post scriptum

For those of you traveling in the future, security at the airport on the way to Paris was laughable.  The bored looking security guard looked at my carryon and asked "Do you have any liquids or gels in there?"

"Nope."

"OK."  He waved me on without so much as looking in my carryon.

Security at Charles DeGaulle leaving the country was pretty strict.  I was yanked out of line and searched to the amusement of my sister who yet again passed through security unscathed.

"You just look dangerous."

I didn't care.  Made me feel safer.   One lady who was absent-minded enough to have left Swiss Army knives she had bought for her nephews in her carryon was dragged out of line and interrogated in a small room by 5 members of security.  She was nearly in tears as she sat next to me waiting for our flight.

However, the staff at Chas. DeGaulle was otherwise very polite and professional.  One lady, as she took my passport was looking into her computer to prep my boarding pass and in her heavy accent said:

Her:  I zee you have chosen a seet, I can try to get you a better seet, but thees flight is fieeling up quickly...
Me:  No, no, that's OK.  I don't like flying.  I chose the middle seat in the middle section over the wing for a reason.
Her [smiling and sliding my passport and boarding pass back to me}:  Then I will do nothing.
Me:  Merci
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:12:04 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2007, 01:14:11 am »
planes rattle????

jeez.

I can't imagine getting on one...

I am glad you had a good trip, Del...looking forward to the next installment!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2007, 05:17:05 am »
Even the plane ride sounds exciting Del.. glad you go through it both ways!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2007, 05:38:17 am »
Hey Del, I'm happy you're back.  :D
I think you're very brave to take such a long flight at all. Ususally I'm not afraid of flying, but on my way to Denver and back this year, we had some hard turbulences. Then I was afraid. But to imagine to have this fear for so many hours... uh, no thanks. I don't know if I were brave enough to go on a plane at all if I had fear of flying.

Looking forward to your Paris experiences  :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »
One lady who was absent-minded enough to have left Swiss Army knives she had bought for her nephews in her carryon was dragged out of line and interrogated in a small room by 5 members of security.  She was nearly in tears as she sat next to me waiting for our flight.

That would be me! Or no, wait, that WAS me. While traveling last May, I bought two little kid tool kits for my sons -- tiny orange-plastic boxes with flashlights and compasses ... and those little leatherman multiple-tool gadgets. And just like the absent-minded lady on your plane, I was absent-minded enough to put them in my carryon. I got pulled aside in the security line. Luckily for me, it wasn't five members of security in a little room but a single grandfatherly security guy at a table off to the side. I was running late for my plane, so it wasn't possible to mail them; I would have to just throw them away. So then, I don't know if it was the stress or the fact that these were gifts for my sons or what, but -- and this is really out of character for me! -- I started crying. And then something really weird happened.

He let me keep them in my bag!

So remember that, terrorists: if you cry convincingly enough and say they're for your sons, there's at least one really nice security guard out there who will let you through with your weapons.

injest

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2007, 04:43:16 pm »
That would be me! Or no, wait, that WAS me. While traveling last May, I bought two little kid tool kits for my sons -- tiny orange-plastic boxes with flashlights and compasses ... and those little leatherman multiple-tool gadgets. And just like the absent-minded lady on your plane, I was absent-minded enough to put them in my carryon. I got pulled aside in the security line. Luckily for me, it wasn't five members of security in a little room but a single grandfatherly security guy at a table off to the side. I was running late for my plane, so it wasn't possible to mail them; I would have to just throw them away. So then, I don't know if it was the stress or the fact that these were gifts for my sons or what, but -- and this is really out of character for me! -- I started crying. And then something really weird happened.

He let me keep them in my bag!

So remember that, terrorists: if you cry convincingly enough and say they're for your sons, there's at least one really nice security guard out there who will let you through with your weapons.

oh great!!

now you have given the terrorists an opening! They are probably running out right now to buy toy tool kits....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the fall of western civilization is YOUR fault, Katherine!

:laugh: ;) ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2007, 05:10:29 pm »
the fall of western civilization is YOUR fault, Katherine!

I always feared it would be.  ::)