Author Topic: A Quick Indiana Quiz ***ANSWERS POSTED!!***  (Read 30031 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: A Quick Indiana Quiz
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:09 am »
I bumped it earlier its called Heath's Ozzie Quiz and is in this forum.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:44 am »
I took Davids suggestion and did a Georgia quiz.  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 01:55:52 pm »
Can someone direct me to Kerry's Australian quiz? I'd love to take it, assuming that it's not closed and the answers already posted.

David, I think your idea of various quizzes on places offered by folks living in or from them is wonderful! I might cook up a Texas quiz one of these days, if another of our Lone Star members doesn't beat me to it.

I wish you would, Scott! I'll take it!  :D

If a fellow Texan Brokie beats you to it, you could always write a second one with different questions! Or you could write a quiz about Austin!!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 01:59:15 pm »
Hmm, only got 3 responses to the Australia quiz, David. How many responses would I get to a Sydney quiz, I wonder?  :-\  I might pass on that one lol, but thank you for suggesting it.   :D

Kerry, as Jocelyn pointed out to you, I PMed people and told them about my quiz. Otherwise, I doubt very many people would have taken my quiz.  If you write a quiz and then pm people and tell them, I'm sure many will come here and take it. After all, Australia is a HUGE country. I doubt one quiz covered it all. There's still plenty of questions out there! Don't you think?  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:09 pm »
Only 4 days Left......

....... to test your knowledge of Indiana!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: A Quick Indiana Quiz **ANSWERS POSTED!!**
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:36 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and post the answers to my quiz a few days early. I'd like to shift interest over to two or three new quizes posted in the forum. Lee and Scott both posted new quizzes about their home states of Georgia and Texas. Also, there has been renewed interest in Kerry's Australia quiz. I have stickied all three of them for several days.

For those of you who haven't taken this quiz, you may still take it and then scroll back up to this reply and check your answers.  :D

Thanks to everyone in advance for taking it.

Here's the answers.........

1.) The capital of Indiana is

Indianapolis

In 1818, the Federal government purchased land in present day central Indiana through treaties with local Native American tribes, and then turned the new land over to the state. Attracted by the White river and the central location, the state capitol was moved from Corydon to Indianapolis in 1825. But the White river proved to be too shallow for most large river boats. Today, Indianapolis is one the largest American cities not on a navigatable waterway. Jeremiah Sullivan created the city's name by combining Indiana (meaning "Land of Indians") with "polis", the Greek word for city.

2.) Indiana is located in what part of the United States?

The Midwest

Indiana is located in the lower Midwest and shares a border with Kentucky, a Southern state. Indiana is sometimes referred to as a "border state", because it borders the South. Indiana's southern border is situated on the Ohio River, an extension of the Mason-Dixon line which traditionally divides the Northern states from the Southern states.

3.) The first permanent settlement in Indiana is now the city or town of

Vincennes

The French founded Vincennes in 1731. Two years later in 1733, a fort was built in Vincennes. In 1763, France handed the Indiana Territory over to Great Britain, and George Rogers Clark and his frontiersmen captured Vincennes from the British in 1779.

4.) Two river systems help to form part of Indiana's state boundaries. What are they?

Ohio river and Wabash river

The Ohio River forms all of Indiana's southern border with Kentucky. The Wabash River cuts across north central Indiana before turning southwest at Lafayette. The Wabash then begins to create Indiana's southwestern border with Illinois at Terre Haute, before emptying into the Ohio river near Evansville and Mount Vernon in the southwestern corner of the state. The remainder of Indiana's western border, along with its northern and eastern borders are imaginary lines, except for Lake Michigan in the northwest corner.

5.) Indiana achieved statehood in what year?

Indiana was admitted into the Union on December 11th, 1816; the 19th state.

6.) The state motto of Indiana is

The Crossroads of America

More than half of the US population live within a one day drive of Indiana. In addition to dozens of highways, Indiana is served by interstates I-80/90, I-65, I-74, I-70, I-69 and I-64. Much of the nation's air and ground cargo pass through Indiana, and water freight is carried through the state, both on the Ohio River at the Ports of Indiana, and on Lake Michigan at Gary, Hammond, and Michigan City, Indiana.

7.) Indiana has what kind of climate?

Hot summers and cold winters

Indiana has hot, humid summers with temperatures frequently reaching the mid and upper 90's to over 100 degrees (32 - 40 C), and cold snowy winters. Sub zero temperatures (-18 C) are not unusual in most parts of the state during winter; especially at night. Tornadoes are frequent and can occur any time of the year, but are most common in spring and early summer. Autumn is crisp and cool throughout the state, and blizzards are not unheard of during the winter, especially in northern Indiana. The average high temperature for Indianapolis: January: 38 F (4 C)   July: 89 F (32 C).

8.) Important Indiana exports include:

Pharmaceuticals, corn, tobacco and spearmint

Eli Lilly, one of the world's largest drug manufacturers is headquartered in Indianapolis. Indiana is also a major manufacturer of medical equipment and devices. Corn is grown throughout the state,  while spearmint and peppermint are grown in the north, and tobacco in southern Indiana. Indiana also produces much of the world's popcorn. Watermelons, pumpkins and cantelopes are also major exports, along with soybeans, oats, poultry, cattle and hogs. Numerous dairy farms are located in northern Indiana. Since much of the nation's food is produced in Indiana, it is known as a "breadbasket" state. Indiana is also a leading manufacturer of musical instruments and travel trailers. Indiana limestone is used in buildings and monuments throughout the country. The Pentagon, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the Empire State Building were all built with Indiana limestone.

9.) The landscape of Indiana is mostly

Flat in the north and hilly in the south

Indiana is very flat in the north, but gradually becomes hilly just south of Indianapolis. The Appalachian foothills begin forming near Bloomington, and the terrain becomes quite jagged and rugged near the Ohio river in south central and southeastern Indiana.

10.) The largest city in Indiana is

Indianapolis

With the exception of Lawrence, Speedway and Beech Grove (all independent cities within Indianapolis) the city spans all of Marion County. Population: 791,926. Greater Indianapolis (which encompasses 8 counties including Marion) has a population of about 2 million people. One third of all Hoosiers live in greater Indianapolis.

11.) The state bird of Indiana is the

Cardinal

Even though all the birds listed are found in Indiana, the state bird is the cardinal. The male cardinal sports bright red feathers and a pointed crown or peak on the top of his head.

12.) The state tree of Indiana is the

Tulip Tree

Except for the Palmetto, all of the trees listed grow abundantly in Indiana. The Tulip Tree is the official state tree. It belongs to the family Magnoliaceae, and is classified as Liriodendron Tulipifera, a type of magnolia. It is known for its large yellow-green flowers which resemble tulips.

Sycamore trees are also very common in Indiana; so much in fact that songs have even been written about them. The magestic trees are described in "On the Banks of the Wabash", the official state song of Indiana.

13.) The state flag of Indiana consists of what colors?

Blue and gold

The Indiana state flag only has two colors; midnight blue and gold.

14.) The shape of Indiana vaguely resembles a

Boot (or Box)

Most people think of Indiana as boot shaped, like a cowboy boot with the toe pointing westward. Indiana could also be described as box shaped, since three of its four borders consist mostly of straight lines. Michigan, Indiana's neighbor to the north is mitten shaped.

15.) What is the main feature on the Indiana state flag?

Torch and stars

A gold torch and stars appear against a dark blue background. The torch symbolizes freedom and knowledge. The stars represent Indiana's entry into the Union as the 19th state. The flag also features a gold fringe.

A buffalo and a pioneer chopping a tree appear on Indiana's state seal.

16.) Which Great Lake is partially located in Indiana?

Lake Michigan

Lake Michigan just barely touches Indiana in the northwestern corner of the state.  Excellent beaches can be found along Lake Michigan near the Indiana towns of Michiana, Potawatomi Park, Michigan City, Ogden Dunes, Tremont, Beverly Shores and Portage. The beaches are beautiful, although the water does remain quite cold most of the year due to the tremendous depth of the lake.

17.) Which celebrities are from Indiana?

Brendan Fraser and Greg Kinnear

Brendan Fraser was born in Indianapolis, and Greg Kinnear is from Logansport. 

Other famous Hoosiers include: Michael Jackson (Gary), Janet Jackson (Gary), James Dean (Marion), Florence Henderson (Dale), John Mellencamp (Seymour), Shelley Long (Fort Wayne), Jim Davis/Garfield the cat (Muncie), David Letterman (Indianapolis), Steve McQueen (Beech Grove), violinist Joshua Bell (Bloomington), Red Skelton (Vincennes) and Colonel Sanders, the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (Henryville).

18.) The first governor of Indiana was

Jonathan Jennings

Jonathan Jennings was elected the first governor of Indiana. At the time of his election, Indiana's population totaled only 64,000 people. He served as Indiana's governor from 1816 - 1822. Jennings county, in southeastern Indiana is named in honor of the first governor.

19.) Major Indian tribes in Indiana included

The Miami, Potawatomi, Mohican and Shawnee

Most of Indiana's Native Americans belonged to the Eastern Woodland tribes. The Miami, Potawatomi, Mohican and Shawnee were among the larger and more powerful tribes in the state. Other tribes in Indiana included the Delaware, Munsee, Huron, Kickapoo, Piankashaw and Wea. Tecumseh, the famous Shawnee chief, led several tribes to war against General William Henry Harrison and his troops in the historic Battle of Tippecanoe, near present day Lafayette, Indiana.

20.) The inhabitants of Indiana are often referred to as

Hoosiers

The people of Indiana are frequently referred to as either Hoosiers or Indianians. Nobody knows for certain where the word Hoosier came from. One theory is a corruption of the word "Husher" in reference to Indiana's early pioneers who would often "hush" an enemy or opponent with their fists. Others think it might be a derivation of "Who's Here", a phrase often uttered when settlers heard a knock on their cabin door. Most likely the word is in reference to Samuel Hoosier, who preferred hiring Indiana men to Kentuckians while constructing the canals along the Ohio River.

It's often been said that "Indiana is everyone's home", and in many ways it's true. Perhaps this is due to Indiana's central location in the country. Or perhaps it's because of the warm "Hoosier Hospitality" extended to everyone visiting the state. Regardless of the reason, people always feel right at home in Indiana.

Thanks again for taking my Indiana quiz!!  :D

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:25:32 pm by David »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: A Quick Indiana Quiz ***ANSWERS POSTED!!***
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 08:57:10 pm »

I had a lot of fun answering your Indiana Quiz, David.  I learnt so much about your beautiful home-state. Now I'm looking forward to answering Scott's and Lee's questionnaires.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:36 pm »
Thanks for taking it Kerry. I'm glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 10:20:01 pm »
I only missed 2!
However, I think number 7 is highly subjective! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2007, 02:42:07 am »
Lee, how did I do on your Georgia quiz?? Did I get an F?

I hope not!  :)