Author Topic: Name the New BetterMost IMDb Forum  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Name the New BetterMost IMDb Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 12:36:11 am »
I second that completely!

Dagi

I third, or seventh it!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 10:01:39 pm »
When it comes to naming things, I have tried to be a bit clever, but not at the expense of confusing potential browsers as to what a forum is all about.  We had months and months of confusion about what Chez Tremblay was all about, and I think a lot of our users didn't really feel comfortable posting in there when the first wave of IMDb refugees arrived because it suggested it was a private club.  It took a lot of cajoling and welcoming to get reluctant people to join.

Having a name that says absolutely nothing about what the forum is about (except perhaps to those with 'inside' knowledge) will definitely create a forum "ghetto," in the sense it will almost certainly be confined to users who already know what the forum is about.  We have worked very hard to make sure people do not feel this place is a closed clique, with our Welcome Wagon personally welcoming every new user here as much as we can, and inviting them to participate.  We absolutely want to make new residents as welcome as those who have been here since the beginning.

If we want to recognize someone like Bruce who is doing most of the heavy lifting, remember every forum also has a text description which can expand on the forum's purpose.

BTW, with the results so far, it looks like we may need a runoff.  :)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline TrollHammer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 07:43:14 pm »
I voted "other."

I like "IMDb Fine Threads Rewound"

TrollHammer
TrollHammer
(formerly TrollHammer, OgreMaul, OgMallet, and BruteSmasher; and still GrendelSledge; at IMDb)

my LJ is BbMTrollHammer, my email is [email protected]

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 07:54:55 pm »

I like that simpler thing also...I thought of IMDB Rewired

Beautiful mind

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:56:24 pm »
I like Meryl's suggestion, "IMDb Remarkable Threads Rewound."  Or maybe a shorter synonym in place of "remarkable."  But definitely the 3 other words, "IMDb" for reasons others have mentioned, "threads rewound" because "threads" is catchier and more succinct than "writings" and, I know my brain is weird, but -- you can wind thread.

"IMDb Fine Threads Rewound"??

TrollHammer

I voted "Other" as well, but I think TrollHammer in onto something here with "IMDb Fine Threads Rewound.  As TrollHammer pointed out, you can wind thread... and thread can also be fine (as in thickness).  Of course, in this case "fine" would mean great.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 09:21:28 pm »
How about True Oracle's Treasures?  Kinda cheesy, but I think it has a ring to it.  I missed the voting deadline, but I would have chosen "The Oracle's Vault!"  I really like that!