Author Topic: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind  (Read 89519 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2008, 07:23:11 pm »
It's so funny, Everytime it gets windy I think of Jack.
Once here recently I was chasing a recipt that had blown out of my car across the parking lot.
everytime I just about got my dern hands on it the wind would blow it about a foot ahead.
Finally I said "Very funny Jack, now can I getthat recipt?" I walked right over and picked it up wthout another gust of wind to blow it away. I can just imagine Jack sayin "Aww heck, I was just funnin ya! "  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh, that's funny - and kind of touching, too!  :)  Thanks for sharing that. 

I love how almost three years into it our boys are still never too far from our minds in our everyday lives.

I do, too, Chrissi.  It's amazing, really - in a good way.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15:31 pm »
I love how almost three years into it our boys are still never too far from our minds in our everyday lives.
It's only been a year and ahalf for me. However I will hold them close the rest of my life.
Like i always say......
Thank you Ennis for showing me the way!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

retropian

« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2008, 09:57:07 pm »
Thanks for bumping this. I had never read thru it before. I enjoyed the idea's posted, many of which are new to me. Jack and the wind is one of my favorite motif's.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2008, 03:12:15 pm »
Thanks for bumping this. I had never read thru it before. I enjoyed the idea's posted, many of which are new to me. Jack and the wind is one of my favorite motif's.

Hey Bud! It's one of my favorite metaphors from BBM too. :)

There are so many good, old, classic threads here in Open Forum.  Sometimes it really is fun to sit and read through some of the oldies-but-goodies. 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2008, 03:24:56 pm »
I love this thread too, friends. I love that Aguirre thought Jack could control the weather and cure pneumonia. I love that Jack played harmonica and pumped up a tire. All those things he knew could get him killed and did get him killed, but he did them and we celebrate that he lived and loved in windy Wyoming.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #185 on: December 25, 2008, 07:13:05 pm »
I love this thread too, friends. I love that Aguirre thought Jack could control the weather and cure pneumonia. I love that Jack played harmonica and pumped up a tire. All those things he knew could get him killed and did get him killed, but he did them and we celebrate that he lived and loved in windy Wyoming.

:'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #186 on: December 25, 2008, 08:15:14 pm »
Don't grieve that it came to an end, friend. Rejoice that it happened at all!!

:-*

And one could say the same thing of the Christmas story...

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #187 on: December 25, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »
Don't grieve that it came to an end, friend. Rejoice that it happened at all!!

:-*

And one could say the same thing of the Christmas story...

True enough.
Had it not, who knows where I'd be!

retropian

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2008, 04:28:03 am »

This probably belongs on another thread, but controlling the weather and curing pneumonia would be miracles. That and the association of Jack with the wind/Pentecost; the spirit of the Lord coming upon his disciples like a wind. Supports the idea of Jack as a Christ figure (IMO). The only miracle Jack could perform was his love for Ennis. Perhaps at the end of the lake scene Jack performed his final miracle; he let Ennis go for Ennis's sake. Jack gave up on his dream of a sweet life with Ennis to set Ennis free from his anguish. Self-Sacrifice, Jack's greatest miracle.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:26 pm »
This probably belongs on another thread, but controlling the weather and curing pneumonia would be miracles. That and the association of Jack with the wind/Pentecost; the spirit of the Lord coming upon his disciples like a wind. Supports the idea of Jack as a Christ figure (IMO). The only miracle Jack could perform was his love for Ennis. Perhaps at the end of the lake scene Jack performed his final miracle; he let Ennis go for Ennis's sake. Jack gave up on his dream of a sweet life with Ennis to set Ennis free from his anguish. Self-Sacrifice, Jack's greatest miracle.

That is a beautiful thought, though sad, like most beautiful things are.