Author Topic: VHS version of BBM needed. But where do I get it?  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
VHS version of BBM needed. But where do I get it?
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:17:37 pm »
CRISIS!

I need to find a VHS version of Brokeback Mountain so we can watch it at the Pilgrimage.  The TV's at the Banff Boundary Lodge will only play videotapes, and they tell me there's no way to hook up a DVD player.

Amazon and other sites I've looked at have no availability for VHS, just for DVD's.

Can anyone help?  I didn't check E-Bay (it daunts me).  Anyone?    :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: VHS version of BBM needed. But where do I get it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:34:08 pm »
Eric confirms that there were no VHS made of BBM.  (Nothin' on ebay.)

He suggested someone copy the DVD onto VHS.  Anyone have the capability to do that?

Otherwise, we may have to watch it on a teeny tiny portable player screen.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:14:24 pm »
Anybody going to be be bringing a laptop with the capability of playing the DVD?

That's still an awfully small screen, but it's a little larger than the portable DVD players I've seen.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:27:43 pm »
Thanks, buds.

The laptop idea is possible, as is the portable player.  But I'll see if I can find some outfit in NYC that can make the transfer from DVD to VHS.

We knew we'd be roughing it in the mountains, but who knew they'd have no DVD players?  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:44:13 pm »
I really regret that a commercial VHS transfer of the film has not been made. There is a friend of mine, who has severe panic disorder and rarely leaves his home, who I would really like to see the film, but has no cable or DVD player (though he does have a VHS player). I invited him to accompany me to a theatrical screening in 2006, but, although he initially agreed, eventually begged off because he felt unwell (I suspect anxiety was a factor). My taking my sister's DVD player and my copy of the DVD to my friend's home would be in the realm of possibility, but he is a heavy chain-smoker, and I feel I cannot comfortably visit with him there for more than fifteen minutes or so (the same issue complicates my option of inviting him to my place)--so you can see the dilemma here.

I figure his best bet of eventually seeing the film is catching it on cable while visiting his mother (who has it, but lives clear on the other side of the state) at some future time. In the meantime, I just keep stressing to him what a profound and potentially life-changing work of art it really is, and reiterating my hope that he experiences it someday.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 03:55:35 pm »
Eric confirms that there were no VHS made of BBM.  (Nothin' on ebay.)

He suggested someone copy the DVD onto VHS.  Anyone have the capability to do that?

Otherwise, we may have to watch it on a teeny tiny portable player screen.

If someone had a player and the DVD, and someone else had a LCD projector, then you could project it in full, living color on a wall or screen....

Um, I do have a projector...Paul, you want to tote that to the pilgrimage? It is fairly small and has a padded carrying case. Let me know.

L

(This will give you an excuse to come visit me and pick up the projector!)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 04:12:08 pm »
I really regret that a commercial VHS transfer of the film has not been made. There is a friend of mine, who has severe panic disorder and rarely leaves his home, who I would really like to see the film, but has no cable or DVD player (though he does have a VHS player). I invited him to accompany me to a theatrical screening in 2006, but, although he initially agreed, eventually begged off because he felt unwell (I suspect anxiety was a factor). My taking my sister's DVD player and my copy of the DVD to my friend's home would be in the realm of possibility, but he is a heavy chain-smoker, and I feel I cannot comfortably visit with him there for more than fifteen minutes or so (the same issue complicates my option of inviting him to my place)--so you can see the dilemma here.

I figure his best bet of eventually seeing the film is catching it on cable while visiting his mother (who has it, but lives clear on the other side of the state) at some future time. In the meantime, I just keep stressing to him what a profound and potentially life-changing work of art it really is, and reiterating my hope that he experiences it someday.

I can sympathize, Scott, though not necessarily with respect just to BBM. My dad has a VHS player. It's become virtually impossible for me to find movies on tape to buy as gifts for him. I can see that I'm going to have to convince him to let me buy him a combination VHS-DVD player--which is what I have--if they still make them, and convincing him to let me do that for him will be no mean feat.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:06:06 pm »
If someone had a player and the DVD, and someone else had a LCD projector, then you could project it in full, living color on a wall or screen....

Um, I do have a projector...Paul, you want to tote that to the pilgrimage? It is fairly small and has a padded carrying case. Let me know.

L

(This will give you an excuse to come visit me and pick up the projector!)

This is a very good idea!! Do it, Paul!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:47 pm »
Well this is relevant question as I watching a film on my DVD player last night and it just stopped. Then it started making a funny noise.  I just aquired an old VCR as mine just went out.   I got that really cheap, the VCR that is at a GOODWILL store. They had stacks of them for only USD 10.00

Now I'm going to have to get a new DVD player if the thing doesn't start working again.  I think I will be paying more then USD 10.00.

Many films on dvd have anti duping filters, especially on higher quaity movies. If  you try to tape the movie, it sometimes comes out  black and white, the colors fade in an out, wiggly lines appear, stuff like that.   I thought it was something wrong with the tv, but the guy at Radio Shack explained it... ;)

injest

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 08:16:59 am »
Well, if it is still showing on HBO, someone could record it off there onto a VHS...I do that all the time on reg cable channels. (don't have HBO...IS it still showing?)