Author Topic: "Becoming Jane" New Anne Hathaway Movie  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
"Becoming Jane" New Anne Hathaway Movie
« on: June 30, 2007, 03:22:59 pm »
To be release 3 August 2007, Anne Hathaway starrs in this biographical account of the early life of Jane Austin:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809426640/info

I heard she truned down "Knocked Up" because she couldn't handle the graphic birthing scene. That would have made that deleated BBM scene on youtube even funnnier "I don't wanna see Anne Hathaway's tits"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Becoming Jane" New Anne Hathaway Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:29 pm »
Yep, it's taking THE HOURS one step forward.  Another movie where life entertains "art,"  Jane Austen literature.

Didn't know about the A. Hathaway birthing scene in BBM.  Imagine Jack being cool as a cucumber while his wife is having a baby.  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:00:18 am »
I have to admit that when I saw this thread, I thought I read "Jane Hathaway".   :)

Anyone remember her?

(Nancy Culp on "The Beverly Hillbillies")

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:36:00 am »
Yep, it's taking THE HOURS one step forward.  Another movie where life entertains "art,"  Jane Austen literature.

Didn't know about the A. Hathaway birthing scene in BBM.  Imagine Jack being cool as a cucumber while his wife is having a baby.  ;)

I think you mean Evening not Becoming Jane.  Evening is based on a novel by Susan Minot.  But is not related to The Hours beyond the fact that the author of The Hours, Michael Cunningham, joined with the author of Evening , Susan Minot to write this screen play. 

The Hours is about women dealing with suicide.  Evening is about the love which binds mother and daughter -- seen through the prism of one mother's life as it crests with optimism, navigates a turning point, and ebbs to its close. Overcome by the power of memory, Ann Lord reveals a long-held secret to her concerned daughters; Constance, a content wife and mother, and Nina, a restless single woman. Both are bedside when Ann calls out for the man she loved more than any other. But who is this "Harris," wonder her daughters, and what is he to our mother? While Constance and Nina try to take stock of Ann's life and their own lives, their mother is tended to by a night nurse as she journeys in her mind back to a summer weekend some fifty years before, when she was Ann Grant, a young woman who has come from New York City to be maid of honor at the high-society Newport wedding of her dearest friend from college, Lila Wittenborn. The bride-to-be is jittery, and turns to her maid of honor rather than her own mother for support. Ann stays close to her friend, yet is even closer to Lila's irrepressible brother Buddy. Unexpected feelings surge forth once Ann meets wedding guest Harris Arden, a lifelong friend and intimate of the Wittenborn family. Ann's love for Harris will change her life, and those of her daughters, forever.

Becoming Jane is a biographical portrait of 19th century author Jane Austen and her romance with a young Irishman.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 05:23:43 pm »
I just saw previews for Becoming Jane on TV last night. Dreadful title, but it could be interesting, and Anne Hathaway's presence couldn't help but pique my curiosity. Certainly, Austen's thwarted love for Tom Lefroy is a true story as melancholy in its way as the fictional one involving Ennis and Jack.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:43:23 pm »
Becoming Jane has a great Scottish actor in it - James McAvoy - he's great in Shameless (a UK drama/comedy - is it on BBC America, Americans? - I think you would need subtitles - its set on a housing estate in Machester - very good if you can catch it) he's also been the last king of scotland, narnia, etc etc.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0564215/

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:48:59 am »
OT here perhaps, but I noticed yesterday that Anne is also playing "Agent 99" opposite Steve Carell's "Maxwell Smart" in the Get Smart movie.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:50:28 am »
I have to admit that when I saw this thread, I thought I read "Jane Hathaway".   :)

Anyone remember her?

(Nancy Culp on "The Beverly Hillbillies")

"Becoming Jane Hathaway": There's a movie for you!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »
Becoming Jane has opened and is getting good reviews. Here's an interesting article about Anne Hathaway:

Hathaway felt pressure of "Becoming Jane"
Fri Aug 3, 2007 12:34AM EDT

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - She has acted opposite stars like Meryl Streep and in hit movies including "Brokeback Mountain," but for Anne Hathaway, the pressure of playing British writer Jane Austen in film drama "Becoming Jane" was so great, she almost quit.

Hathaway, 24, is one of Hollywood's rising young stars who mostly stays out of tabloid headlines dominated by the likes of Lindsay Lohan and other troubled young celebrities. Her new movie "Becoming Jane" opens in major U.S. cities on Friday.

"A lot of people put pressure on me. I put a lot of pressure on myself," Hathaway said in an interview. "There was a time when I considered stepping away from the project because I really didn't want to fail."

She stayed on, Hathaway said, because she felt she had more to gain by overcoming her fears than walking away.

The actress became a teen sensation in 2001's "The Princess Diaries," displayed real acting talent as the wife of a gay man in "Brokeback," and held her own as a plucky assistant to a wicked fashion editor (Streep) in "The Devil Wears Prada."

"Becoming Jane" marks the first film in which her popularity is the key draw.

For the movie, Hathaway had to master an English accent as well as learn the history and customs of the late 18th century. Further raising her anxiety was the fact "Becoming Jane" is a fictional tale of Austen's life.

The movie imagines Austen as a young woman falling in love with a brash young man, Tom LeFroy, and it creates events that audiences are led to believe could have shaped Austen's novels such as "Sense and Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice."

RAISING EYEBROWS

Taking liberties with history has raised eyebrows among Austen purists, but Hathaway argues that little is known about Austen's early years and what influenced her writing.

"The fact of the matter is no one can write the definitive portrait of Jane Austen," she said. "The film says, these are the influences, and whether her experience or imagination made her a great writer, we'll never know."

Hathaway said she read Austen's novels as a 14-year-old, and while they take place some 200 years ago, the stories' themes are still relevant today.

"Her novels are unbelievably entertaining, but they also ask some pointed questions about the lot of women in life," Hathaway said. "She had a mind of her own. She questioned the world around her, and that is something very modern."

The actress was raised in New Jersey and when she was young, dreamed of playing Broadway. She said she never thought acting in Hollywood also would require being a celebrity.

But Hathaway has used fame to raise money and awareness for causes supporting women and kids, among others.

Unlike Lohan or other Hollywood contemporaries, such as Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, Hathaway described herself as a "private person" who prefers to stay out of the limelight.

That changed in June when Los Angeles investor Ron Burkle sued Hathaway's boyfriend, Raffaello Follieri, claiming Follieri improperly used investment funds for personal expenses.

Thankfully, that remained primarily a business scandal that didn't draw her in, Hathaway said.

"I know I'm not a good celebrity," she said. "I'm boring and closed and probably seem very safe."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 05:38:25 pm »
Saw this last night.  Sweet movie. 

I put it up there with "Miss Potter" (though 'Becoming Jane' has a much less insipid title character) for a favorite setting, beautiful cinematography and excellent acting.

Hathaway has an extremely expressive face, whole emotions/conversations run across her face with just a twitch, turn or tilt of her eyebrow, you can read her without her saying a word - but of course, we all already knew this from the phone call Ennis made to Lureen.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS                POSSIBLE SPOILERS                              POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I loved how the main characters realized/knew how imprisoned they were, how obligations rule, the bitter knowledge that Money is the Path to All, and though everyone pays a price, women at that time (and most times) especially do.

My only problem was that I had to really talk myself into believing how the relationship ignited between the two main characters.  The flirtation was fine, but it lacked a defining moment.  When it happened, it seemed more a leap of faith than a 'we know each other so well' start.