Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3171314 times)

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #1780 on: October 16, 2006, 02:06:08 pm »
I finally saw Jarhead.  It was really good.  I kept finding myself looking for Ennis or mannerisms of Jack.  He is as gorgeous in this as any other.  Alot of scenes with no shirt and he is FINE.  I really liked the Santa dance.  At moments he is almost tender at others extremely scary.  The sad thing is that he is disappointed by the one he loves in this movie also.  I really like Peter Saarsgard.  First thing Ive seen with him in it.  Worth a watch. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1781 on: October 16, 2006, 02:45:16 pm »
I really enjoyed this movie, too.  It actually bears a repeat viewing, as the first time I saw it I didn't quite get the full impact.  And I'm not talking about the Santa dance, as enjoyable as that was to watch both times.  :)  I'm talking about the Roger Deakins cinematography that haunts you, and the poetic screenplay that haunts you, too, with lines like "The Earth is bleeding" and "We are still in the desert."  Really a beautiful film.  And I thought Peter Sarsgaard was excellent - perhaps the best I've seen him, though I quite liked him in "Shattered Glass" too.  Like Jake, so subtle, and so facially expressive.

I also liked how they went against stereotype - how the seemingly redneck Texan turned out to be the bleeding heart liberal (relatively speaking) and how the quiet, thoughtful guy ended up being more pro-war than just about anyone.

The music was great, too, and totally took me back to that time frame, so I imagine it would really resonate with anyone going through something remotely as traumatic as being on the ground in a war, whether anything really happened or not, at that time.
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1782 on: October 16, 2006, 05:25:18 pm »
....and don't forget the scene where he finds the horse covered in oil and says "S'alright"   A BBM moment for sure!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #1783 on: October 16, 2006, 07:55:40 pm »
I'm talking about the Roger Deakins cinematography that haunts you

I'll second that! The scenes with the oil field burning are absolutely beautiful in a really terrible way. I also love the quote you talk about, "we are still in the desert" and that final shot with him looking out the window how it becomes the desert. Really really beautiful. This is one of my favorite movies, and not just because of Jake. I recommend the book as well.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #1784 on: October 16, 2006, 08:46:21 pm »
I liked "Jarhead" very much and I didn't expect to. (And it's not just because of Jake shakin his very fine ass in the movie.) "beautiful in a really terrible way" describes it well, LittleGuitar. I'd like to read the book sometime. I think Jake did a fantastic acting job here because it was so far from the brooding sensitive roles he's often had. He gave everything he had and didn't hold back (And I'm not just referring to Jake shakin his very fine ass in the movie).

**SLIGHT SPOILER**
Jake's scenes when he's watching 'Apocolypse Now' and the videotape of the guy's wife were really fantastic, if a little scary.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1785 on: October 16, 2006, 10:09:29 pm »
no explanation needed for this one...  oh yeah, courtesy of Britpopbaby and Jake Watch.  Thanks BPB!!   :-*

Damn it all to hell! He needs to get out of those icky baggy board shorts ... and into a Speedo (Lord knows he's got the bod for one).

And then he needs to get out of the Speedo. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #1786 on: October 16, 2006, 10:21:57 pm »
**SLIGHT SPOILER**

Jake's scenes when he's watching 'Apocolypse Now' and the videotape of the guy's wife were really fantastic, if a little scary.

Scary is a good word for it... for that and the scene where he threatens Fergus.

I agree though, this was a very good role for him and very different. I watched it after the oscars and was honestly shocked he didn't recieve a nom for this as well (though, I guess we all know the academy doesn't always get it right  ;) )

You should definitely check out the book, Leslie. It's different from the movie and you learn much more about Swoff's time spent outside of the desert as well and how being a marine effected every facet of his life. It explores much more than the film does. It's beautifully writtenand Jake played Anthony Swofford absolutely perfectly.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #1787 on: October 17, 2006, 01:56:59 am »
no explanation needed for this one...  oh yeah, courtesy of Britpopbaby and Jake Watch.  Thanks BPB!!   :-*

Damn it all to hell! He needs to get out of those icky baggy board shorts ... and into a Speedo (Lord knows he's got the bod for one).

And then he needs to get out of the Speedo. ...  ;D

Well Jeff even those baggy trunks leave NOTHING to the imagination!  That boy needs a jock strap   :o  or then again( what WAS I thinking)  maybe not ... ;)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David

« Reply #1788 on: October 17, 2006, 06:20:07 am »
Well Jeff even those baggy trunks leave NOTHING to the imagination!  That boy needs a jock strap   :o  or then again( what WAS I thinking)  maybe not ... ;)

....takes a long look at the pic again.....studies outline......<faints> thud!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #1789 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:45 am »
Took another very close look David....and yes.....mmmmm....looks good to me too.....

Now I cant take my eyes off that part of the picture !!!!!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection