Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3175167 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4920 on: March 12, 2010, 03:46:19 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAgJJvDTDk[/youtube]

I am  simply appalled by the very incompetent interviewer!  >:(  It wasn't the right moment to ask that question, and so casually too.  >:(
BbM, I swear

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4921 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:40 am »
Thanks for the info Chuck!  LOL, wow, talk about my Bowie and BBM interests coming into close contact with this project.
:)

Plus Vera Farmiga starred in Roar with Heath.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4922 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:24 am »

In this backstage interview from the Oscars, apparently Jake is asked about Heath.
To tell you the truth, I haven´t been able to watch it yet because I feel a bit apprehensive about it. According to some of the comments, Jake doesn´t look very comfortable.

Me neither. For the reasons Mikaela mentioned:

I started watching it but once Heath's name comes up and the setting is so wrong for any kind of substantial comment, the whole venue is so wrong, and the mood is "we're having fun and we're in a hurry" and the interviewer could be asking about the weather for all he (the interviewer) seems to care I just couldn't watch what poor Jake had to say. It wasn't fair that this question comes in this way. I'm sure Jake fields it adroitly with a couple of polite nothing words and a sufficiently serious expression, but...augh! It's just so sad that Heat's death has been reduced to a talking point in random inane shallow Oscar interviews on the red carpets after they've done talking about the dresses and purses and what a great time everyone's having.  *sigh*  :-\

Heath deserves so much better than a quick mention on the red carpet. I'll console myself listening to Daniel Day Lewis' classy and hearthelt tribute. That's the way it should be done!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxr8mbvaB2E[/youtube]
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4923 on: March 12, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
I'll always be grateful to DDL for paying such great tributes to Heath. :)

Jake seemed uncomfortable when asked about Heath. I think that's the first time he spoke publicly about Heath.

On a shallow note, Jake and Rachel McAdams looked good together presenting.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4924 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

I'll be interested in seeing what he said.  I'll have to sneak a look sometime here at work (because I can't watch videos on my home computer).

It's not Jake's fault if that's the context in which the question came up.  I don't think it's disrespectful.  Red carpets and award shows, etc. are a basic part of the profession.  And, I think it was almost inevitable that someday the question would come up in that context.

I've always been of the opinion that Jake, as one of Heath's most significant co-stars, probably should have made a more formal eulogy or statement after Heath's passing.  I think it's strange that someone like Daniel Day-Lewis did so, and not someone like Jake.  By not taking the opportunity to make a statement in his own way, and on his own terms... it, again, made it almost inevitable that the way the question would come up (some day) would be off-the-cuff... or in a moment when he'd be caught off guard by a reporter, etc.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4925 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »
ONTD has a post up with a lot of new pictures of Jake with Atticus.  :) Jake looks good in a super-tight pair of jeans (ahem) but I was mostly thrilled to see that Atticus is still around.

---

Amanda, I don't think anyone believes it was at all disrespectful of Jake - he got the question and answered it, somehow (still haven't watched it) -  but that interviewer OTOH....  >:(

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4926 on: March 12, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
ONTD has a post up with a lot of new pictures of Jake with Atticus.  :) Jake looks good in a super-tight pair of jeans (ahem) but I was mostly thrilled to see that Atticus is still around.

---

Amanda, I don't think anyone believes it was at all disrespectful of Jake - he got the question and answered it, somehow (still haven't watched it) -  but that interviewer OTOH....  >:(

Heya Mikaela!  Milan explains a bit more about how the conversation went in the HHH thread. I can't watch the video with the sound on here at work, and my connection is too slow to watch videos at home.  So, I asked (over in HHH where this is also being discussed) if someone could transcribe it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4927 on: March 12, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »
Thanks for posting the youtube from Oscar night. I wasn't aware that had occurred.  I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I felt compelled to jump in for a moment to kind of defend Nate Berkus, who was the person interviewing Jake. Perhaps a lot of people don't know who he is or much about him, but, imo, he is the last person in the world who would purposely be insensitive or disrespectful to anyone - much less in the context of being insensitive about a friend's death.

Nate is an openly gay man and is a designer who often appears on the Oprah Winfrey Show. I've never actually seen him on the show, but the reason I am aware of him is because of the tragedy that occurred in his life when he was vacationing in Sri Lanka when the tsunami hit and his partner died.  I remember reading about it and I was always so impressed by Nate's class and spirit of love and generosity in the face of such a horrific experience.

http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Nate-Berkus-The-Tsunami-Disaster

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Statement-from-Nate-Berkus-January-20-2005

It's obvious to me that Nate was not aware that Jake had never spoken about Heath publicly - and I can understand why he would think that Jake had already done so.  It's been two years, after all.  So I don't see Nate's question as rude or mean or out even out of place.  If you watch the video, you will see that he apologizes genuinely when he see that Jake is taken aback (to say the least).  Frankly, I was touched that someone was thinking of Heath - and I much preferred to see some lovely honest thoughts about Heath than silly talk about purses, etc.  Just imo, of course.

Amanda, I'm sorry I don't have time to transcribe the conversation right now.  There really isn't much to it  and Jake doesn't actually "say" anything about Heath, but he's obviously very uncomfortable and it's very sad.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4928 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:29 pm »
Thanks Marie.  That's very interesting info about the reporter.  It's good to know a little bit more context.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4929 on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:19 pm »
I'll be interested in seeing what he said.  I'll have to sneak a look sometime here at work (because I can't watch videos on my home computer).

It's not Jake's fault if that's the context in which the question came up.  I don't think it's disrespectful.  Red carpets and award shows, etc. are a basic part of the profession.  And, I think it was almost inevitable that someday the question would come up in that context.

I've always been of the opinion that Jake, as one of Heath's most significant co-stars, probably should have made a more formal eulogy or statement after Heath's passing.  I think it's strange that someone like Daniel Day-Lewis did so, and not someone like Jake.  By not taking the opportunity to make a statement in his own way, and on his own terms... it, again, made it almost inevitable that the way the question would come up (some day) would be off-the-cuff... or in a moment when he'd be caught off guard by a reporter, etc.

I must say that I agree , Atz75, with what you have to say.

I'm one of those who regrets Jake has never said anything to my knowledge about himself and Heath and what Heath meant to him. Some, I know, like to respect Jake's privacy but I've always felt he had almost a public duty to make some sort of statement, especially in those very bleak days following Heath's death. I hope this isn't all we're going to hear from Jake about Heath but I fear it might be.