Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3175019 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #5060 on: May 20, 2010, 04:23:23 pm »
Yeah, but did you enjoy it? Have you written a review somewhere else here? I'm curious as the reports I've seen have been.... shall we say, divided? 

No disrespect to Jake, but noone, as in NOONE, will ever carry off greasy long hair the way Viggo did in LotR.  :P  He set the standard once and for all. (I recently read an interview with Viggo saying he'd be up for a reprise of Aragorn in the upcoming Hobbit movies and I was all YayYayYay!!! But then the silly financing issues of MGM put those movies into development limbo, and Viggo isn't getting any younger...   :-\ )

Anyway. Keen to hear people's opinions on PoP.  :)

It's a hard movie for me to review because I'm not a big fan - or familiar with - the genre. So my "review" comes down to a few thoughts
* I wasn't bored. And that's a good thing. Stuff happens (Jake jumps, runs up and down walls, does backflips etc) throughout the movie in a quick pace. All this jumping and running and fighting are mixed with comical one-liners (of which my favorite was: "did you know that ostriches have suicidal tendencies) and comic relief in the form of a barely recognisable Alfred Molina.

* What´s up with the fake (and not always very good) British accent???

* The characters were as one-dimensional as expected.

* Jake did look very good (though you are right about the greasy hair, Mikaela. In Jake´s case it´s mostly in the way as it hides those baby blues) On our way home, Sophia and I discussed the fact that Jake didn't look as big and buffed as he did in those so talked-about pictures of him and Reese. Perhaps it's because He's constantly surrounded by other big men throughout the movie?

* The mythology behind the story (something-about-a-dagger-and-sand-that-can-turn-back-time-or-destroy-the-world-or- something-else-not-so-good) felt a bit confusing at times. But who cares? I mean, really?

* Monika's best acting award goes to...the ostriches. They were way cool.

* Did I mention that Jake looks really good in it?

All in all I had fun, the two hours went by very quickly, the popcorn was great, Jake was hot (oh, I did mention that, didn't I?) and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Out of 5 I'd give it a solid 2.

I feel pretty certain there won't be any sequels though. So go and see our Prince Dasdan or else it might be too late!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5061 on: May 20, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »

Where I go, it's a little bit crowded and dirty (ok, VERY crowded and disgustingly  dirty)--

--and PoP isn't out yet in New York! What's up with that??!   >:(

(Thanks for the tour Sophia and Monika--and I'm so jealous!  ::) )

Crowded and dirty perhaps, I still like the way those theatres look. I've always had a thing for movie theatres, especially those with a little touch of art deco.

--and PoP isn't out yet in New York! What's up with that??!   >:(

Yes, what is up with that?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5062 on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »
Thank you for the review and the pics! Much appreciated!

A quick investigation revealed that PoP has actually premiered here, too - to very little fanfare and no ads that I've seen. BUT reading up on the online reviews prove that Norwegian reviewers are actually very charmed by the film, it gets high scores and is lauded as "humorous, action-packed adventure of the good, oldfashioned kind." So far, so good! If those comments are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise will continue with more films after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if I like it better than The Dark Knight, tbh. TDK was so pretentious and full of itself and came with such a critical hoopla that going into the movie one would expect it to represent the reinvention of Culture as we know it. Which it sure didn't - it mainly was just another car chase and explosion movie IMO. While PoP apparently doesn't try to pass as anything else than what it is - lighthearted fantastical action and adventure, fun costumes, big sets and lots of special effects - and sand.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #5063 on: May 20, 2010, 06:05:18 pm »
I love your journey retold in pictures, Buffymon!    :D

The area seriously looks beautiful.  The sights in that city (that I imagine are old hat for you) would have me pointing and wide-eyed!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5064 on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:42 pm »
Thank you Monika, that was a great vicarious journey for me.  And like John, I was impressed by the number of bicycles.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5065 on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:02 pm »
Loved the pics of your odyssey, Monika!  8)

Mika, if it's opened in Norway, maybe we can go when I come to visit!  And I have to agree with your assessment of Viggo as the King of Greasy Long Hair.  ;)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5066 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:50 am »
I've started to see TV commercials for The Prince of Persia.

Imagine that! Ancient Persians spoke with cultivated Oxbridge British accents! Who knew?

:laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #5067 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »
Doesn't open here in St. Louis till next Friday.  My (very sexy) boyfriend is excited about going to see it with me on opening day.  He innocently asked me, in anticipation, if we'd be doing any kissing during the film, to which I replied, "Let me think, the hottest man I know in real life sitting next to me, plus the hottest man I know in movie life, with long hair flowing and biceps bulging and a sword in his hand.  Hmmm, will there be kissing?

Hmmm........

I'll tell ya what.

Wear loose pants."

:o :o :o :o :o
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5068 on: May 21, 2010, 05:55:53 pm »

Mika, if it's opened in Norway, maybe we can go when I come to visit!  

The thought has definitely crossed my mind.  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5069 on: May 22, 2010, 01:19:35 am »
Apparently the use of British English has its origin in the video game, upon which the movie is based.

You go, Mandy! Sounds like a pretty good situation you got going there ;D