Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3136633 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #790 on: July 21, 2006, 11:43:54 am »
Not sure if we've seen this one yet ...

Night of the Oscars ... Jake is completely wasted!

You are all so correct ... Jake looks great in a tux!! WOW! ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #791 on: July 21, 2006, 11:49:15 am »
They come a' runnin' just as fast as they can.  'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed (Africa hot) man.

And so are a lot of the boys. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #792 on: July 21, 2006, 12:29:39 pm »
Sure enough, Jeff.   ;D

Sigh.

My husband once told me a story of some friend of his father's being at some fund-raiser years ago attended by Paul Newman, and how he could see the blue of his eyes from across the (very large and crowded) room.  I reckon you could see the blue of Jake's eyes from the next county.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #793 on: July 21, 2006, 12:38:56 pm »
Sure enough, Jeff.   ;D

Sigh.

My husband once told me a story of some friend of his father's being at some fund-raiser years ago attended by Paul Newman, and how he could see the blue of his eyes from across the (very large and crowded) room.  I reckon you could see the blue of Jake's eyes from the next county.

You bet!

Tell you what, the more I study this pic, I think Jake looks so much more comfortable than Heath. Look at the way Our Mr. Ledger is holding his hands--like he wants to get out of there, wherever "there" was.

You "Already Gone," Barb?  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #794 on: July 21, 2006, 01:12:26 pm »
You bet!

Tell you what, the more I study this pic, I think Jake looks so much more comfortable than Heath. Look at the way Our Mr. Ledger is holding his hands--like he wants to get out of there, wherever "there" was.

You "Already Gone," Barb?  ;)

Oh, yeah.  Dr. Rachel Glass would have a *field day* with that one.  Jake: His relaxed shoulders, leaning in towards Heath, right arm and hand relaxed and at his side, left hand comfortably in his pocket, open posture, and looking squarely and confidently at the camera all show that he is comfortable in his own skin, with Heath, and with being photographed in general.  Heath: His rigid shoulders and hands, looking like he doesn't know what to do with his hands, leaning away from Jake, and looking off-camera all show a lack of comfort and insecurity with himself and the situation.

Heath reminds me very much of Ralph Fiennes.  Another extremely talented actor and lovely man who is excruciatingly uncomfortable in his own outrageously beautiful skin.  (Geez, I think I need some more adverbs here.  ;))  It makes my heart hurt for both of them.  But at the same time, I find it incredibly (and there it is!) endearing.

And yes, I am most definitely already gone.  I think it happened sometime in January, after my second viewing in as many weeks of this movie.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:24:09 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #795 on: July 21, 2006, 01:32:08 pm »

Am not sure why I am doing this ... but I thought it would be fun. Compare the blue eyes:

Paul Newman:  

Cillian Murphy:

Jake:

They all look pretty dang good to me!

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #796 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:14 pm »
Oh, yeah.  Dr. Rachel Glass would have a *field day* with that one.  Jake: His relaxed shoulders, leaning in towards Heath, right arm and hand relaxed and at his side, left hand comfortably in his pocket, open posture, and looking squarely and confidently at the camera all show that he is comfortable in his own skin, with Heath, and with being photographed in general.  Heath: His rigid shoulders and hands, looking like he doesn't know what to do with his hands, leaning away from Jake, and looking off-camera all show a lack of comfort and insecurity with himself and the situation.

Heath reminds me very much of Ralph Fiennes.  Another extremely talented actor and lovely man who is excruciatingly uncomfortable in his own outrageously beautiful skin.  (Geez, I think I need some more adverbs here.  ;))  It makes my heart hurt for both of them.  But at the same time, I find it incredibly (and there it is!) endearing.

And yes, I am most definitely already gone.  I think it happened sometime in January, after my second viewing in as many weeks of this movie.

Hunh. Since this is the "Jake" thread, I think I need to go talk to the Heathens about this, to see whether Heath has a history of appearing uncomfortable in situations like this. I'm not familiar with Dr. Glass, but this is getting fascinating because I'm also one of those people who don't seem to know what to do with their hands in social situations. I even have to fight with myself not to stand with my arms folded across my chest, since I've learned that's considered a closed, hostile, defensive posture.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #797 on: July 21, 2006, 04:00:29 pm »
Hunh. Since this is the "Jake" thread, I think I need to go talk to the Heathens about this, to see whether Heath has a history of appearing uncomfortable in situations like this. I'm not familiar with Dr. Glass, but this is getting fascinating because I'm also one of those people who don't seem to know what to do with their hands in social situations. I even have to fight with myself not to stand with my arms folded across my chest, since I've learned that's considered a closed, hostile, defensive posture.

Dr. Glass is someone they quote in "Us Weekly" magazine (which I swear I don't subscribe to or buy - I just occasionally sneak a peek at one when I'm visiting my friend who subscribes to it ;)).  They'll show a picture of a couple, usually, and she'll "analyze" whether they're ready for a break-up - i.e., how "connected" they seem to be.

I used to have dontknowwhattodowithmyhandsitis, myself - I had to consciously train myself not to be fidgety with them.  I was always playing with my hair or scratching my nose or something just to be doing something with them.  I guess you just have to realize that you don't have to be doing anything with them.  Just letting them kinda hang there naturally really does look OK, as awkward as it feels at first.  Just as you don't have to fill every silence with your words.  Something I'm still working on training myself not to do.   :P
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #798 on: July 21, 2006, 06:26:23 pm »
Sorry, everyone, he only has eyes for 2!!
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #799 on: July 21, 2006, 06:32:17 pm »
Sorry, everyone, he only has eyes for 2!!

WOW! Jake has just narrowed it down to 2 lucky gals!!  :D
No hard feelings y'all!  ;D