Author Topic: Chernobyl  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Chernobyl
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 12:01:35 pm »
& good for you not having a car!

I know.  Aren't I noble?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 11:12:37 pm »
[Cutbacks won't make an impact unless the bulk of the population does it.  That's what most people are saying.  They're willing to make drastic cuts but it has to be something mandated so that it makes a difference.

I agree but can't understand why it is not mandated already or why people are not clamouring for it to be.  We have all the evidence of what is happening, depleting ozone layer, glaciers melting, coastal erosion, alterations in wildlife behaviour, record numbers of asthmatics, etc  All we've done is come up with the Kyoto protocol which is a step in the right direction but so small it's laughable.  Current levels of nuclear power generation are saving nearly twice as much carbon emission as Kyoto already. 

You would think nic, but some people I've spoken with pretty much buy into the facts - and they are facts - that the CO2 level in the atmosphere has been - in the past - much higher than it is now and that was a natural environmental shift, that glaciers have melted before and reformed, that entire continents are forever being reformed due to the rise and fall of the sea level, alterations in wildlife behavior is also a reaction to these changes, and record number of asmathics is due to children being taken out of a normal 'rural' environment where they would be exposed to numerous pollens and put into an urban environment where they're not and so they become more sensitized than they normally would have been.

Despite my own personal beliefs, scientists have no real models that indicate that our CO emissions are truly causing a greenhouse effect/global warming.

We have many theories, but nothing concrete.  Certainty will not be attainable anytime soon.  For scientists, 'certainty' is a big word.  And without it, no one in the Bush Administration is going to act.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 11:19:05 pm »

I read a really, really teriffic book last year called Life at the Extremes (Pay attention, Del, you'd like this one.  No lady detectives anywhere.) by British scientist Frances Ashcroft,

:P  I'm very fond of women detectives, thank you very much.  The Nevada Barr series in particular.  I liked the Kinsey Milhone series, but she got a little too whiney for me.