Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33471 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
What do we all do for a living?
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:35:11 am »
What do you do?   
More than one thing?
Work at home?
Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 
Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I teach English in college/university during the fall and spring semesters.  I do not teach during winter or summer, by choice.    I also score assessment test essays as needed, throughout the year.   (If you ever want to see some really goofy sentences, I would be happy to post them.  Just think of Richard Lederer's Anguished English collections.)  :laugh:

I also sell a bunch of crap on eBay.   Sorry, but there's no better word choice.   And I proofread and edit as a freelancer.  I also write short fiction stories, hence my very obvious username.   
     Sometimes I think I'd like to chuck the teaching gig once and for all, since I have been PT for lo these many years, and go join the Peace Corps or something.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

injest

Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:25:40 am »
What do you do?   
More than one thing?
Work at home?
Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?

We run a small farm, and I work part time at a company in town.

hmmm....I think I am pretty happy with my life.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:20:54 am »
What do you do? 

I'm a public servant with the New South Wales Health Department, working in the Executive Unit of a large teaching hospital here in Sydney, Australia.

More than one thing?

No.

Work at home?

No.

Seasonal work?

No.

FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

Full-time, 9-5.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     

No (see below).

Would you prefer some other line of work? 

I'd prefer to be earning my living from painting, but there's no money in the arts (unless you're kissing the arse of some rich gallery owner), so I've settled for being a Sunday painter, and a dreary ol' public servant during the week. That way I get to retain my dignity - and eat and keep a roof over my head too!  ;)   :D   

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:23 am »
I'm a mommy.  Finally.  It's my heart's desire.  I quit the other stuff to do this.  I don't get paid.  I am living on a combination of husband's salary, savings, and not buying stuff much.  Believe it or not, turns out it's harder than the stuff I got paid to do!  :) 

Dagi

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:09 am »
I´m a mommy, too.
I am living on a combination of husband's salary, savings, and not buying stuff much.
Same here.

I´ll start working in September (I´m a midwife), when my little cowboy is going to Kindergarten.

Dagi

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:22 am »
What do you do?   I work as a translator and editor

More than one thing? I also do volunteer work writing for a magazine for the repetitive strain injury patient association.

Work at home? Nope

Seasonal work?   Parttime because I can't work fulltime because of the pain in my arm.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?  Yes, I love my job but I am not gonna be doing this for the rest of my life

Would you prefer some other line of work?  I am thinking of teaching Dutch and English to people who have just moved to Holland and I am planning to write a children's book. My boyfriend is gonna do the illustrations...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:04 am »
Would you prefer some other line of work?  I am thinking of teaching Dutch and English to people who have just moved to Holland and I am planning to write a children's book. My boyfriend is gonna do the illustrations...

Melissa, that sounds so exciting. What a wonderful ambition.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:08:52 am »
What do you do? 

I'm a loan administrator in the commerical dept. of the bank I work for.  Bascially, when one of the Relationship Managers scores a new loan, I'm the one who sets up the loan on our computer system.  I make sure that the specifics of the loan are set up properly.  The interest rate, payment schedule, maturity date, whether payments will be mailed in or auto debited from their checking account, stuff like that.  I also handle daily business like wires across the U.S. or internationally, processing payments or advances from lines of credit, filing, etc.

More than one thing?

No.

Work at home?

No.

Seasonal work?

No.

FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

Full-time, 9-5.

Not really, but I'm happy here.  Sometimes, you have to "trade off" different things.  I could probably get a similar position at another bank, making more money.  However, I like the people I work with, they like me, and I am out with them.  Plus, my company has diversity training, and offers benefits to same sex couples.

I am debating an attempt at getting some of my poetry published, and see if I can get some exposure in the writing field, probably will start chasing that down at the begining of the new year.   

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:48 am »
I am a full time toy designer for one of the largest toy companies in the world.

I sell stuff on eBay, too (doesn't everyone?). I don't have time for much else except toy collecting.

I am fortunate enough to be doing exactly what I've always wanted to do. Believe me, I was born to make toys!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:27:47 am »
What do you do? 

I'm an accountant.

More than one thing?

Yes. I also work part time for a realty company.

Work at home?

I work at home with one job, and I go to the office for the other one.

My accounting job is full time (and then some!) and my job with the Referral Center is part time.

Not really. But I've had this accounting degree for years. It's about time I do something with it.  :laugh:  I used to dream about being in show business (Broadway), and I almost took a job with the ISO (Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra) but I was disaapointed with the starting salary.

Probably. And I miss my photography job. But hey!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.