Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33483 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:26:36 am »
I am a full time toy designer for one of the largest toy companies in the world.

I sell stuff on eBay, too (doesn't everyone?). I don't have time for much else except toy collecting.

I am fortunate enough to be doing exactly what I've always wanted to do. Believe me, I was born to make toys!

Toycoon--What a great job!! Question for a toy designer--Did you love the movie "BIG"? (I did.) Also--I saw previews for "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and it looks like a lot of fun--have you seen anything about that one? Dustin Hoffman is in it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:07 am »
Toycoon--What a great job!! Question for a toy designer--Did you love the movie "BIG"? (I did.) Also--I saw previews for "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and it looks like a lot of fun--have you seen anything about that one? Dustin Hoffman is in it.

Hi Shasta, Yes, I saw the movie "Big" before I started working in the industry. It is similar to what was shown in the movie but vastly different, too. There are a great deal more people devoted to designing toys these days. Marketing hasn't changed all that much though there are some good people working there, too!
Never heard of "Mr. Majorium's Wonder Emporium". When does it debut?
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:55:18 am »

What do you do? 

Patent Research

More than one thing?

No

Work at home?

I can and sometimes do

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

Full time but am on an extended leave of absence right now.  I may not go back

Are you doing what you wanted to do?      

No

Would you prefer some other line of work? 

I don't know what I want any more

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:44:02 am »
What do you do? 

Patent Research

More than one thing?

No

Work at home?

I can and sometimes do

Full time but am on an extended leave of absence right now.  I may not go back

No

I don't know what I want any more

You have a real artistic flair, Dottie, and an enormous propensity for bringing joy to others.  :D

IMHO you would make a wonderful proprietor of a trendy little gallery. Or the owner of a cute little cafe in a hip part of town. I bet you'd attract a loyal clientele in no time.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:35:35 am »
What do you do?

Freelance writer.

More than one thing?

Well, more than one kind of writing. Articles, essays, book reviews, etc. I also care for two rowdy sons.

Work at home?

Yup.

PT writing, FT parenting.

Yes, but I'm not making as much money at it as I'd like.

No, but I will soon be needing something more remunerative -- either more freelance assignments or something FT.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:53 am »
I am a full time toy designer for one of the largest toy companies in the world.

Toycoon!  Small world, bud!  One of my college roomies works for Mattel - Tracking her down is very high on the list of things to do now that I'm on the west coast!

As for me...

What do you do?
I develop software, mostly user interaces and background database processes.

More than one thing?
Not often, though I frequently find myself 'fixing' friiends computers in exchange for drinks or dinner.   :D
Actually, before my mom got sick, I always had a volunteer job of some sort.  I'm hoping to add one back now that I won't be commutin four three hours a day!

Work at home?
I could at my old job and it was a blessing; the new job in Cali has much more strict security, so likely no.

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?
Full time, but flexible hours 6-6.

Not exactly, but I'm pretty good at it, so that's satisfying.  I started out in infrared physics and looking back, I enjoyed pure science, research, and development a lot more.

See above...I'd like to get my graduate degree and get back into R&D.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 02:02:11 am »
I didn't know you were a programmer Lynne!!

Can you believe I actually programmed some software when I lived in Evansville? I worked for a company called "Total Management" and they hired me to help program some accounting software they were developing. Well, actually they hired me as a temp to do some telephone work until they found out I had an accounting degree. We programmed the software using the Clarion and Delphi database languages. Are you familiar with those databases? Once we finished the software I was laid off from the company.

But the last time I checked the company wasn't in business anymore. Karma is a beeyotch!  :laugh:

I learned a lot about programming though, even though computers HATE me and I'm lucky if I can even get mine to turn on most of the time.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 02:04:05 am »
What do you do?   

I'm an Assistant Information Systems Analyst for the State of California.  I work for the Sate EPA.  I'm responsible for monitoring the help desk, installing programs, troubleshooting, and I'm the back-up for our webmaster and LAN administrator. 

More than one thing?

Well, yes, if parenting counts.  I'm a single mom.

Work at home?

No, but I'm hoping to do that very soon as a sideline.

No. 

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?

I'm not doing what I want to do.  In fact, I'm becoming really bored with what I'm doing.  The problem is, I don't know exactly what sort of work I would like to do!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 02:10:29 am »
I didn't know you were a programmer Lynne!!

Can you believe I actually programmed some software when I lived in Evansville? I worked for a company called "Total Management" and they hired me to help program some accounting software they were developing. Well, actually they hired me as a temp to do some telephone work until they found out I had an accounting degree. We programmed the software using the Clarion and Delphi database languages. Are you familiar with those databases? Once we finished the software I was laid off from the company.

But the last time I checked the company wasn't in business anymore. Karma is a beeyotch!  :laugh:

I learned a lot about programming though, even though computers HATE me and I'm lucky if I can even get mine to turn on most of the time.  :D

No, David - I had no idea!! Very cool!  I know nada about Clarion or Delphi - I use Sybase, Oracle, and Access.  At first it was a lot of fun - kinda like playing computer games...I enjoyed figuring out how to do something in the very fewest lines of code (geeky, I know, a la Name That Tune) but it kept me entertained.  That's become old and the fun part now is working with customers, figuring out what they need, and translating that into a software design.

Re: Karma - a side note - I haven't gone on many interviews and haven't changed jobs very often - only 5 interviews in 20 years...and I got 4 of the 5 jobs...the one I didn't get -- and I was peeved at the time! - was a startup that went belly-up within the next year...Karma was looking out for me then!!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:12 am »
Ineedcrayons, caring for two rowdy boys should be it's own reward.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero