Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33495 times)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:48 am »
Toycoon!  Small world, bud!  One of my college roomies works for Mattel - Tracking her down is very high on the list of things to do now that I'm on the west coast!

Howdy Lynne,
Send me a PM with your friend name and I can track down her email address for you. I may already know her! Woohoo! I didn't know you was on the West Coast? I'm in Los Angeles. Where art thou?

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:48 am »
Ineedcrayons, caring for two rowdy boys should be it's own reward.

Yes, I repeat that like a mantra some days!  ;D

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
You have a real artistic flair, Dottie, and an enormous propensity for bringing joy to others.  :D

IMHO you would make a wonderful proprietor of a trendy little gallery. Or the owner of a cute little cafe in a hip part of town. I bet you'd attract a loyal clientele in no time.  :D

Awww Kerry Thanks!   :-*  You sweet talker you   ;)
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 08:57:21 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm an Assistant Information Systems Analyst for the State of California.  I work for the Sate EPA.  I'm responsible for monitoring the help desk, installing programs, troubleshooting, and I'm the back-up for our webmaster and LAN administrator. 

More than one thing?

Well, yes, if parenting counts.  I'm a single mom.

Work at home?

No, but I'm hoping to do that very soon as a sideline.

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?

No. 

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?

I'm not doing what I want to do.  In fact, I'm becoming really bored with what I'm doing.  The problem is, I don't know exactly what sort of work I would like to do!

Well, hello there, littlewing!   We know each other from the IMDB.    I also work for the state of CA--have always taught in the CSU or community colleges.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:28 am »

I´ll start working in September (I´m a midwife), when my little cowboy is going to Kindergarten.

Dagi

COOL, Dagi, nothing cooler!  How will you balance the long, completely unpredictable hours that labor takes with getting childcare coverage?

I used to be a doula, but I can't imagine doing that now, with a 4yo.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 04:53:26 am »
I used to be a doula, but I can't imagine doing that now, with a 4yo.

What's a Doula?

Tycoon - what an exciting job!!!

And for those guys that sell stuff on ebay - any tips? What sells?? Perhaps that should be another thread! In fact I'm going to start one!

What do you do?   

I'ma support inspector for Communities Scotland which is the housing and regeneration agency of the Scottish Government.

Basically this means that I will be the contact for about 40 social landlords in Scotland - and I will help them with any legal or governance issues that they need advice and help on. I am also the person that deals with any complaints that a member of the public has about these organisations. When these landlords are publicly audited and inspected by my colleagues I will follow up with them an ensure they are putting improvements into place.

More than one thing?

No - although I have done one or two bits of extra work this year on the side.... 2 adverts and a Scottish Sopa opera. I was also asked to be an extra in a film currently being filmed called the stone of destiny which has Billy Boyd and Robert Carslile in it but becasue I have highlighted hair and it is set in the 50's I was cancelled.

Work at home?

No

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly? 

I have flexi time so I should work 37 hours a week but I can come and go on this. I can also compress my working houirs if I wish so i could work full time over say 4 days.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?   

I've just got this promotion form another area of Communities Scotland and so far I'm really enjoying it. If money and security was not an issue I may follwo my dreams a bit more - more voluntary type work or music but of course in relaity thats not possible. But I'm not unhappy at work and I ahve a good bunch of workmates...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 05:33:21 am »
What do you do?    I teach English in a secondary (high) school, and a few hours in college.

More than one thing? I do not see where I could fit in a second job, what with being a mother of 2 (13 and 6 years old)! (Ellemeno: totally right you are, being a mum is much more difficult than most of the things you get paid to do!)

Work at home? You have no choice but at home as well when you are a teacher (very often at weekends and till the wee hours of the morning too...)

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?  Full time.

Are you doing what you wanted to do? When I started learning English at the age of 11, (on the first day I think), I came back home and broke it out to my parents: "Mum, dad, I want to teach English later". So yeah, I guess I'm doing what I wanted .

Would you prefer some other line of work?
   I'd love to be a writer (novelist or playwright). Can't find the time now, but maybe 'later'...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 04:04:34 pm »
What's a Doula?

I'm curious, too. What is a Doula?

Tycoon - what an exciting job!!!
It is very exciting. I love my job!

And for those guys that sell stuff on ebay - any tips? What sells?? Perhaps that should be another thread! In fact I'm going to start one!
My boyfriend is the main person who sells on Ebay. He sells all kinds of stuff; clothes, antiques, collectibles and other assorted stuff.

"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline justin25taylor

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 06:42:48 am »
Rancher by day, Steel guitar player at night

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:57 am »
Hey Justin! Thanks for making your first post in the How We Live section !!! Hope you are enjoying finding out what bettermost is all about!

Sounds like both an interesting job and hobby.. so what are the main difference in playing with a steel - its like a metal thing rather than using your fingers right? - to ordinary guitar?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/