Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33484 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 06:50:41 am »
I'm curious, too. What is a Doula?

Wikipedia is a great thing -

A doula is a non-medical assistant who provides physical, emotional and informational support in prenatal care, during childbirth and during the postpartum period.

Sounds interesting Elle, tell us more! I don't think there is such a thing in the UK - perhaps there should be - our midwives are certainly overworked in the UK.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Dagi

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 02:47:46 pm »

COOL, Dagi, nothing cooler!  How will you balance the long, completely unpredictable hours that labor takes with getting childcare coverage?

I used to be a doula, but I can't imagine doing that now, with a 4yo.

I can imagine you as a doula - women need loving, nurturing women during the long hours of childbirth.

For the next years I will have to be content with visiting freshly baken mums at home, checking if everything is alright, giving advice and support in this delicate period. I donĀ“t have anyone whom I could pass my children at any moment if I had to go look after a woman in labor. Maybe in a few years!

Thanks for your interest!

Dagi

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm a radio journalist and occasional presenter of radio shows;

More than one thing?

Oh well, nothing I would get paid for...

Work at home?

Oh, yes. I practically live at my computer, cutting audio material, doing research or writing news items for the next morning practically every evening;
Err... and does cooking meals, cleaning up and caring for a little girl count as work at home, too?  ;)

Seasonal work?   FT, PT, variable, on call, hourly?

Yes, occasionally.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?

When I was a little girl, a wanted to become a singer or a tailor. But what I'm doing now is alright, too, I guess.

Would you prefer some other line of work?   

No. I think, I got lucky with what I'm doing.

mvansand76

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 05:46:18 pm »
What do you do?   

I'm a radio journalist and occasional presenter of radio shows;

More than one thing?

Oh well, nothing I would get paid for...

Work at home?

Oh, yes. I practically live at my computer, cutting audio material, doing research or writing news items for the next morning practically every evening;
Err... and does cooking meals, cleaning up and caring for a little girl count as work at home, too?  ;)

Yes, occasionally.

Are you doing what you wanted to do?

When I was a little girl, a wanted to become a singer or a tailor. But what I'm doing now is alright, too, I guess.

Would you prefer some other line of work?   

No. I think, I got lucky with what I'm doing.

Hey Anke, can't wait to meet you (and your family?) on the 4th in Amsterdam! I forgot to tell you that if you need some tips for your stay in Amsterdam, just let me know!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 08:38:15 pm »
(Ellemeno: totally right you are, being a mum is much more difficult than most of the things you get paid to do!)

When my husband and I have compared to see whose job is harder, I say "Hey, I used to HAVE your job" -- he's a reporter and I'm a former reporter -- "and I know it can be hard, frustrating, even make you mad some days. But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:31 pm »

What do you do?   
I'm an art curator

More than one thing?
no

Work at home?
Avoiding bringing work home with me is a major, daily goal of mine.  But, alas, I often find myself bringing "homework" home.  But, no, I don't technically work at home.

full time

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?  
Yes, this job is my first career job out of grad school and I spent 7 years in grad school hoping to become a curator.  So, sometimes I pinch myself with how lucky I was to land this job right off the bat.  But, it's been a major adjustment starting this job.  And, lots of aspects of it are very different from how I imagined them.  But, yes, I love my job.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:17 am »
What do you do?   
I'm an art curator

More than one thing?
no

Work at home?
Avoiding bringing work home with me is a major, daily goal of mine.  But, alas, I often find myself bringing "homework" home.  But, no, I don't technically work at home.

full time

Are you doing what you wanted to do?     Would you prefer some other line of work?  
Yes, this job is my first career job out of grad school and I spent 7 years in grad school hoping to become a curator.  So, sometimes I pinch myself with how lucky I was to land this job right off the bat.  But, it's been a major adjustment starting this job.  And, lots of aspects of it are very different from how I imagined them.  But, yes, I love my job.

I didn't know you were a art curator Amanda - what a cool job!

And Elle ...

But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

:laugh:

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 02:35:15 pm »
Thanks Kelda!
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 05:37:15 pm »
And Elle ...

But no matter how bad a day I ever had as a reporter, I can't recall a time I ever yelled until my throat hurt. And now I do that pretty much on a daily basis!"  ;D

That wasn't me who said that!  My child's only four, I think yelling at her til my throat hurt would be traumatic for her.  Besides yelling doesn't seem to be the motivator for her.   "Wow, all you have left is to put your shoes on and then we can GO!" still works with her pretty well.   I do a whole lot of "Hey, as soon as you [FILL IN BLANK A], then we can [FILL IN BLANK B]!!"  :)   

Thanks for your interest in doulas, Friends.  Kelda, thanks for posting the definition.  I was a labor doula (not post-partum, didn't really know much about babies back then), so before a birth, I helped women and families figure out what they thought would help them most during labor,  and then was with them during labor to help them stay with what worked for them.  It was pretty amazing.  And tiring.  This might be changing in the field now, but back then (12 years or so ago), the commitment on the doula's part was to stay with the woman the whole time through labor no matter how many hours it went.  That was grueling, especially the one week I had three women I was working with call me.  It took literally weeks to get back on track after missing so much sleep.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 05:54:54 pm »

That wasn't me who said that!  My child's only four, I think yelling at her til my throat hurt would be traumatic for her.  Besides yelling doesn't seem to be the motivator for her.   "Wow, all you have left is to put your shoes on and then we can GO!" still works with her pretty well.   I do a whole lot of "Hey, as soon as you [FILL IN BLANK A], then we can [FILL IN BLANK B]!!"  :)   

Thanks for your interest in doulas, Friends.  Kelda, thanks for posting the definition.  I was a labor doula (not post-partum, didn't really know much about babies back then), so before a birth, I helped women and families figure out what they thought would help them most during labor,  and then was with them during labor to help them stay with what worked for them.  It was pretty amazing.  And tiring.  This might be changing in the field now, but back then (12 years or so ago), the commitment on the doula's part was to stay with the woman the whole time through labor no matter how many hours it went.  That was grueling, especially the one week I had three women I was working with call me.  It took literally weeks to get back on track after missing so much sleep.

Ooopps no neither it was! Doh! I'm totally on a roll this weather it making silly mistakes!!!

I bet now with a child you would get back into that sleep pattern pretty quick!