Author Topic: What do we all do for a living?  (Read 33481 times)

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2008, 09:15:25 pm »
I didn't see an introduce yourself thread so I thought i'd jump in here. If there is an official intro thread then point me to it.
I work in an optical lab and also work on the sales floor selling and fitting glasses. I've been in optical for 15 years now and i've got 13 years experience in the lab making glasses. I like the work, I hate the company. CEO America just sucks. They don't care about you at all, just how much money you can make them. Is it my dream career? No. I have no idea what that really is so for now, this will do.   ;)

Teri

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 09:38:17 pm »
I started off as a clinical chemist,(hours way too long working on call) went back to Uni and became an Optometrist,less long hours but non stop.

Moved to the states and became stay at home mom.Longest hours of all,and the hardest work of all.But so far the most gratifying

Am I doing what I want,yes and no.

No, because Untill I developed arthritis at age of 17 I was going to be a ballerina.I was obsessed with it.Never even had a back up plan.Just lived for ballet.

Yes because I love the fact that now I have kids,at long last I get to spend time with them.Back in the U.K we had a nanny.

Is it full time,you bet.!!!!

Can I work at home. Part time, in between running non stop taxi service,acrosss half of Florida,to gymnastics,tennis and wrestling tournaments.
Not to mention the mall,the school bus run,psychiatrist appts, and lessons for all above sports.You get the picture I'm sure !!!!

Would I change it. Not any more. I used to wonder how life as a ballerina would have panned out.But it drove me nuts thinking of it,so I gave up wondering.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2008, 10:15:29 pm »
I didn't see an introduce yourself thread so I thought i'd jump in here. If there is an official intro thread then point me to it.
I work in an optical lab and also work on the sales floor selling and fitting glasses. I've been in optical for 15 years now and i've got 13 years experience in the lab making glasses. I like the work, I hate the company. CEO America just sucks. They don't care about you at all, just how much money you can make them. Is it my dream career? No. I have no idea what that really is so for now, this will do.   ;)

Teri

Welcome to Bettermost Teri! There is an 'Introduce Yourself' thread at http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31.1040.html, if you want to post an intro about yourself, we can give you a proper friendly welcome!  :D
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:56 pm »
I finally found it. Someone pm'd me the link. I just got done posting an intro. Thanks so much!
Teri

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:41 pm »
Hi Teri - welcome - thanks for intoducing yourself here! Another optician - I think susiebk is one too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2008, 09:32:35 pm »
I'm a certified optician but not licensed in Florida yet.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:31 pm »

Something I've always wondered....what is the difference between an optician, optometrist, and opthalmologist? In 500 words or less, please.  :D  (just kidding, take as many as you want!)
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline optom3

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:27 pm »

Ditto apparantly you have to go to Miami to do the conversion,from Brit to USA qualifications.Think I will just stay home!!!!!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:45 pm »
::::::: Clears throat :::::::

An optician is someone who has passed the American Board of Opticianry exam and is proficient in fitting and adjusting glasses. They are ultimately responsible for doing the last inspection on the glasses before they go out the door.  Like putting their stamp of approval on them. You also have to know how to troubleshoot whenever someone is having a problem with their glasses.
When you pass the ABO exam you become a certified optician. Certain states require an opticians' license. Florida is one. This means in addition to the ABO exam you have to pass a contact lens exam, the state boards and either apprentice under 2 licensed opticians for 3 years or go to an opticianry school and get your A.A in opticianry.These states require a licensed optician to be on the premises whenever the store is open.  I have passed the ABO and finished my apprentice work.

An optometrist is someone who is a doctor of optometry. They specialize in refractions (getting your rx) and diagnosing eye diseases.

An opthomologist specializes in the treatment of eye diseases and performs surgery. They go to medical school in addition to optometry school. You can go to an optometrist to get your rx and they check the health of your eyes. If they see anything wrong then they would refer you to an opthomologist.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. I've been working in optical for 15 years. I was an optometric technician (in the docs office) for 2 years and have spent the past 13 years working in the lab making glasses. I've been working on the floor in addition to the lab for the past year selling and fitting glasses.

Teri

Offline optom3

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »
Something I've always wondered....what is the difference between an optician, optometrist, and opthalmologist? In 500 words or less, please.  :D  (just kidding, take as many as you want!)

An optometrist has a degree in optometry,and can perform eye examinations i.e determine spectacle prescription, fit contact lenses, check health of the eyes,and if  eye disease is detected must then  refer to an, ophthalmologist who is an eye doctor.In the U.K an optometrist can also treat some minor eye conditions and do the follow ups on glaucoma and diabetic patients.If they take extra qualifications.

Ophthalmologists  have medical degrees and can diagnose, treat eye diseases and perform surgery.They can also do eye exams if they want,most do not.Surgery is more lucrative.

An optician has a college education,but generally not a degree,they measure up the patient for frames and the lenses that go in them,(as detrmined by the optometrist,) and then fit them. They cannot do eye exminations or treat eye diseases,or perform surgery.In some cases with extra qualifications they can fit contact lenses under the supervision of an optometrist.

Finally there is a technician who makes the spectacles.

so the rough hierarchy is ,ophthalmologist,optometrist,optician, technician

Does that help?