Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 91006 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 04:00:41 pm »

Thank you all on behalf of my glorious, and wonderful grandaughter.  And yes I am as proud of her as it is humanly or wizardly possible to be...

Thanks to:  Jess, Shasta, Mel, Dottie, and Delallvia.  She is very grateful for
all of your sweet words.                         proudest gma in the world  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 08:39:03 pm »
What a fantastic writer Janice!
I know you must be so proud.
I haven't read the Saga of Harry and Hogwarts but I know how the fans must feel! Ecspecially after reading that eloquent report!
This line really jumped out to me!
in a very special and even unique way, they were real to me. I pity anyone who tries to tell me that I was too invested in this fictional world. Just because you don't understand how I feel does not mean that my sentiments are not valid or meaningful

I think you know what that brings to mind! LOL
Bravo!
That was a wonderfully well written piece!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:43 pm »
This line really jumped out to me!
I think you know what that brings to mind! LOL
Bravo!
That was a wonderfully well written piece!

That's the same line that jumped out for me, Lee, it's the same with our 'obsession' with Brokeback, isn't it?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:46 pm »
That's the same line that jumped out for me, Lee, it's the same with our 'obsession' with Brokeback, isn't it?

It Sure is!
I thought that summed it up well!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 01:11:13 am »
I am now reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which is quietly devastating.  Very spare, lean writing.  I sat down with it today and read 120 pages right off the bat.  It's digest sized, with a lot of short bits of dialogue and spaces between paragraphs, but that's still quite a lot for me to read in one sitting.   

As far as I can tell, it's about a man and his son wandering through what appears to be a post-nuclear wasteland.

It cannot possibly end well.

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 01:27:14 am »
Just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and am now starting Nora Roberts High Noon.....a little romance and suspense is a good thing  ;)  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:54 pm »
Okay, I made it through The Road.  It actually allowed the reader a glimmer of hope, thank goodness.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 02:51:11 am »
I just finished 'Don't Get Too Comfortable' by David Rakoff while on vacation.  I love to read essays while I'm traveling - and Rakoff (who has been on 'This American Life') is clever to the point of making me laugh out loud (several times).  This collection includes essays on his becoming an American citizen (he was born in Canada), watching people out front of 'The Today Show' and runway models in Paris - a disparate group, to be sure, but somehow it works.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:19 am »
I just finished a non fiction book called Fleeing Fundamentalism by Carlene Cross, who had been a Fundie minister's wife for a while until some enlightenment occurred after many years of struggle.  She held onto some faith but left behing the extremism and dogmatism.

I am about to read some more work by Cormac McCarthy (fiction).

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 11:36:27 pm »
I am currently easing through some of my favorite books: the Gossip Girl books! I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. They're light and entertaining/amusing as hell, and Cecily Von Ziegesar is doing a really impressive job developing the characters. Blair Waldorf is a brilliantly written character: she's a mean-spirited and abrasive young woman who can be contemptuous toward others because she's discontent, angsty, and insecure. She is obsessed with Audrey Hepburn - she wants to be Audrey Hepburn, and I love that touch because it's a detail that's one of the inner-most recesses of her mind. Audrey is who she envies. She imagines her life is a movie, like so many people I know who tend to make their lives more dramatic than they really are. Because they're bored and unhappy and they have no idea why.

I loved the final Harry Potter except for that crappy epilogue. The Kite Runner was really affecting and quite good.

The next book on my to-read list though is Memoirs of a Geisha. I'm stoked.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger