Author Topic: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???  (Read 90995 times)

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Hey, What Ya Reading??? A book???
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 07:18:10 pm »
I just borrowed Ian McEwan's Black Dogs.    I remember seeing the movie Enduring Love, a tale of obsession; he had written the novel it was based on.

I have ordered a copy of some weird thing Stephen King recommends called The Mad Cook of Pymatuning.   Cool title, eh?
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2007, 10:31:38 pm »
I'm also reading a sort of post-apocalyptic book called The Pesthouse, by Jim Crace.   Pretty good stuff so far.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2007, 12:43:09 pm »
I just started reading Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask. I haven't read him in years, his writing style reminds me of Truman Capote's, I love it!

I also just started Naomi Klein's  The Shock Doctrine: the Rise of Disaster Capitalism .  So far, I'm finding it a bit dry compared to her No Logo which was a real page turner

Before that, I read A Complicated Kindness a coming of age story set in a Canadian Mennonite community.  A wonderful book! 

Also, I recently read Barbara Gowdy's latest novel, Helpless.  I love her stuff!

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 12:02:50 am »
I just read....

1. The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. I heard bad and good reviews of the movie. I remember these books from when I was little, though. They are great.

2. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Another excellent book by him.

3. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Probably the most relevant (to here) of those three. Funny, I didn't know he was gay, even though I always see at least one of his books on display everywhere.....anyway, the book was great. It's a collection of essays - more like real life stories - his family (growing up, etc) and some about him and his partner Hugh. One reviewer said "hilarious, fun, and sad." Which is pretty much true. But overall upbeat. I think now I will have to read more of him...

Anyway, one of the best essays is "Hejira". It's when his Dad kicks him out, which HE thinks is for smoking pot all the time, but he learned later it was really for being gay...Hejira is the name of the Join Mitchell album he was (supposedly) listening to when it happened. The word Hejira is a transliteration of the arabic word hijira, meaning "migration." So you decide if he was really listening to that, or just thought it was symbolic. Anyway, the story's like 2-3 (short) pages....so next time you're in the bookstore grab the book and read it!

:)
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 02:02:27 am »
I am currently re-reading Ray Bradbury's "The Halloween Tree"
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2007, 05:34:25 pm »
Born On a Blue Day.

This unique first-person account offers a window into the mind of a high-functioning, 27-year-old British autistic savant with Asperger's syndrome. Tammet's ability to think abstractly, deviate from routine, and empathize, interact and communicate with others is impaired, yet he's capable of incredible feats of memorization and mental calculation. Besides being able to effortlessly multiply and divide huge sums in his head with the speed and accuracy of a computer, Tammet, the subject of the 2005 documentary Brainman, learned Icelandic in a single week and recited the number pi up to the 22,514th digit, breaking the European record. He also experiences synesthesia, an unusual neurological syndrome that enables him to experience numbers and words as "shapes, colors, textures and motions." Tammet traces his life from a frustrating, withdrawn childhood and adolescence to his adult achievements, which include teaching in Lithuania, achieving financial independence with an educational Web site and sustaining a long-term romantic relationship. As one of only about 50 people living today with synesthesia and autism, Tammet's condition is intriguing to researchers; his ability to express himself clearly and with a surprisingly engaging tone (given his symptoms) makes for an account that will intrigue others as well.
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »
I am reading an old gay classic called THE FRONT RUNNER (1974) by Patricia Nell Warren.  It was a real ground breaker when it came out.  There's been talk of making this into a movie for many nears.  Paul Newman even expressed interest decades ago.  Now it's scheduled for release in  2009 (per IMDB.com).  I read on the msg boards  "do we need another gay tragedy love story in light of BBM??"  So I was curious to see how closely the tragedy in THE FRONT RUNNER has already been "expressed" in BBM.   Of course, it's set in the same time period of BBM, late 1960's, the 1970s'.  However, it's the world of college sports, not the rural west.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »
I'm reading Beyond Brokeback, the Impact of a film.
It is fantastic. It really helps me to see how not alone I am in my experience.
It is heartbreaking though. There is so much pain we have had to endure as a collective group all because of how we are made.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:02 pm »
Currently reading: The Night Watch by one of my fave authors: Sarah Waters.

[sarahwaters.com]:
Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked out streets, illicit liaisons, sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch is the work of a truly brilliant and compelling storyteller.

This is the story of four Londoners - three women and a young man with a past, drawn with absolute truth and intimacy. Kay, who drove an ambulance during the war and lived life at full throttle, now dresses in mannish clothes and wanders the streets with a restless hunger, searching ... Helen, clever, sweet, much-loved, harbours a painful secret ...Viv, glamour girl, is stubbornly, even foolishly loyal, to her soldier lover ... Duncan, an apparent innocent, has had his own demons to fight during the war. Their lives, and their secrets connect in sometimes startling ways. War leads to strange alliances ...

I love the way she writes and just how tangible her descriptions are.  A great read so far.  :)

injest

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2007, 06:48:43 am »
I am reading an old gay classic called THE FRONT RUNNER (1974) by Patricia Nell Warren.  It was a real ground breaker when it came out.  There's been talk of making this into a movie for many nears.  Paul Newman even expressed interest decades ago.  Now it's scheduled for release in  2009 (per IMDB.com).  I read on the msg boards  "do we need another gay tragedy love story in light of BBM??"  So I was curious to see how closely the tragedy in THE FRONT RUNNER has already been "expressed" in BBM.   Of course, it's set in the same time period of BBM, late 1960's, the 1970s'.  However, it's the world of college sports, not the rural west.

huh...well, do we need another tragic straight love story in light of "Titanic"?

or another monster movie in light of "Creature of the Black Lagoon"?

or another war movie in light of "Private Ryan"?

or another happy straight love story in light of "Sleepless in Seattle"?

or another coming of age story in light of "Stand By Me"?

or another story of the love of an animal in light of "The Black Stallion"?

shall I go on?

If we are only gonna have one of each genre, the movie industry will be a very limited one..