Author Topic: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?  (Read 15216 times)

slayers_creek_oth

What happens right after Tent Scene 1?
« on: May 02, 2006, 09:56:03 pm »
This may have already been discussed but I was talkin to McK about it and was wondering....

What happens right after they 'get it on?'  Do they just lay back down and go to sleep?  You know what I mean.....they wake up the next morning side by side but what happens inbetween?  No talkin?  No cuddlin?  Nothing? 

I've always wondered......

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: What happens right after Tent Scene 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 10:13:38 pm »
I always thought so... I think it says in the story something like that as well.  That next morning Ennis looks pretty rough and they are both pretty unsure of what to say to each other so I doubt they said anything right after it happened.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:14:15 pm »
I've always had the impression that the boys fell into a drunken sleep really fast after their first tryst. The scene of Ennis collapsing onto Jack's back suggests both emotional and physical exhaustion to me, and then there's that cutaway shot to the tent's exterior, conveying a quieter mood following the passionate outburst that just occurred inside.

However, one must take note that we see Jack the next morning, asleep with his coat on. He took the coat off when making his moves on Ennis, so he had to be conscious for long enough after the sex to put it back on. But I still don't feel it likely that Ennis and Jack had much conscious interaction after Ennis's orgasm.

Just my thoughts...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:16:32 pm by moremojo »

TJ

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:19 pm »
In the book, they went to back to sleep almost immediately. (Ennis had snored on the canvas floor of the tent before Jack invited him into the bedroll - Ennis did not try to sleep outside in the book that night as in the movie.) When Ennis woke up in the book, Jack's butt was against his crotch.

That drifting off to sleep immediately afterwards seems to be what was in the movie, too; because when Ennis wakes up after it is getting light outside, his jeans are still pushed down below his hips.

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:21:25 pm »
I don't believe much happened after the initial sex scene. After the emotion and sexual energy was released, I'll bet the guys were spent and just fell asleep. I do think, however, that it's significant that Ennis stayed in the tent for the remainder of the night rather than going back outside. Knowing him, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had lit a new fire and taken any coats/blankets he could find and spent the rest of the night outdoors... He didn't, so even though the scene was "raw" it was something the guys needed to get out of the way so they could move on with their feelings.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:24:24 pm »
Added comment here in regard to the book version: Since both of the guys slept some inside the tent, Ennis had snored before his teeth started chattering/hammering/yammering, before Ennis got into Jack's bedroll, Ennis was not as drunk as he was aroud 2 AM when he asked Jack for a blanket to sleep outside.

Also, in the book, when Ennis got into Jack's bedroll, their intimacy deepened. That means it was not an all-of-a-sudden thing when Jack seized Ennis' left hand and put it on his erect cock. Apparently Jack did that because he had felt that Ennis had rise in his Levi's.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:31:09 pm »
The story also tells us that Ennis woke up the next morning with "a top-grade headache." In other words, he was hung over.

Jack doesn't seem to be as drunk as Ennis when he tries to tell Ennis he would be better off sleeping in the tent, so I'm guessing he was sober enough to get his coat back on after Ennis withdrew and fell asleep. I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:33:53 pm »
I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.

Damn thats probably why it lost the Oscar!  LOL JK... ::)

I doubt it was an error.....not in an Ang Lee film.....

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:36:46 pm »
I seem to remember someone suggesting somewhere that Jack having his coat on the next morning was a continuity error, but I don't think it was.

Is it a continuity error if between shots a character puts their coat back on?  It was cold right???  I thought C.E. only related to a change in sets/wardrobe/etc if something changed that could not be explained?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 11:15:12 pm »
Well, Ennis seemingly didn't even have the energy to pull his pants back up before falling asleep that night.  I wonder if Jack was "fully dressed" aside from the coat.  If you know what I mean.  When Ennis sits up and gazes at Jack (he seems to look at him for a rather long, drawn-out moment), what is he seeing and more importantly what is he thinking?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:25:12 pm »
Even with nothing more thazn "4 nights in 20 years," I can see Jack grasp Ennis's hand right before he collapses on the tent floor, with Ennis's head on his back. I haven't seen a good DVD yet...bit i gues you would say that was no0t "after."
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:37:52 pm »
Well, Ennis seemingly didn't even have the energy to pull his pants back up before falling asleep that night.  I wonder if Jack was "fully dressed" aside from the coat.  If you know what I mean.  When Ennis sits up and gazes at Jack (he seems to look at him for a rather long, drawn-out moment), what is he seeing and more importantly what is he thinking?

Amanda, it's not like you to be so intriguingly leading like this?  *cheaky grin*  Although I've not really pondered it, it seems strange to me that Ennis doesn't manage to pull his pants back up.  Personally, I would wake up at some point wake up (after sobering I guess) wondering why my pants were around my knees.  As to what Ennis was thinking, maybe he was deciphering if he remembered what happened or if it was a dream?

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 12:49:15 am »
...and who is this kid anyway? Was that really me. I'M NOT GOING TO THINK ABOUT IT ANYMORE NOW.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 12:55:15 am »
As soon as Ennis wakes up and looks around, he gives kind of a cringy look and sinks back down under the covers. I've always wondered if he's feeling the headache, or remembering what happened.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:20 am »
My two cents;    They fell asleep.   Both were drinking, albeit Ennis seemed more drunk.

But as many will confess, guys tend to want to sleep after sex.    You can tell the next morning that Ennis wakes up with a headache and confused look.   Pants still down! Ha!     Jack may have had time to pull his coat on, but he didn't bother to tuck his shirt in.   I'm sure if Ennis hadn't rolled over and fell asleep that he would have put his coat back on too.   They just had a few blankets.  Not like todays warm sleeping bags.  Two people could probably sleep naked in one and stay warm.    Who wants to try?   ::)

TJ

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 06:49:31 pm »
Actually with the proper bedroll for camping out in the winter time, one person can keep warmer by himself if he sleeps naked. I have camped out when the temp was below freezing and it was snowing when we woke up the next morning. I did not realize how cold it was outside tent until I got up. I had been a little above freezing before we bedded down.

In the book, it seems that Jack did not have an extra blanket and that's why Ennis slept on the canvas floor of the tent. Ennis' tent (and bedroll ?) was hidden up where the sheep were grazed, Aguirre's orders. What was rolled up behind the saddle when the either of the guy left camp was only the thickness of a pup tent.

Also in the book, the guys fell asleep as soon as Ennis uncoupled from Jack's behind.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 06:52:49 pm »
 :) in my personal experience, once a guy gets off, he nods off  - there is usually no chit-chat, no cuddling, no kissing, just sleep :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:39:29 am by chefjudy »
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

TJ

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 04:49:04 pm »
Well, in my experience as an openly gay man, more often than not, there was "after-play," expression of gentle natural affection after the actual act of sexual intercourse. If in bed, we did not go right to sleep unless we had been tired before we went to bed.

In the book, it could have been 3:00 a.m. or later in the early morning before the guys went to sleep. Since after 2, Ennis was "dizzy drunk" before he slept for a while (Ennis did snore) and then woke up Jack with his teeth chattering, I prefer to think that the deepened intimacy was longer than the sex act and because the both of them were really tired, they quickly went back to sleep as soon as Ennis withdrew.

But, there are some guys who do not like to be touched at all after they have sex because the nerves in their skin (all over) become too sensitive.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 05:11:46 pm »
:) in my personal experience, once a guy gets off, he nods off  - there is usually no chit-chat, no cuddling, no kissing, just sleep :D

Depends on the time of day, I think...this is one of the reasons I like early am sex...after a night of sleep, you can talk, cuddle, kiss, whatever...

Hee hee hee--words my husband may like *almost* as much as "I love you"..."Lemme go brush my teeth..."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

moremojo

Re: I can relate
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »

Hee hee hee--words my husband may like *almost* as much as "I love you"..."Lemme go brush my teeth..."
This has a lot to do with what I find problematic with early-morning, first-thing-after-you-wake-up physical intimacy. I don't feel my freshest first thing I wake up, and I am terribly self-conscious of how I come across to another before my morning ablutions. Funny thing, though, the guys I've been with who have been partial to morning fun have never complained, so maybe I worry too much.

I do cherish that wonderful feeling, when I have experienced it, of waking up with a companion nestled against my body.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:20:10 pm by moremojo »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 06:33:53 pm »
Damn thats probably why it lost the Oscar!  LOL JK... ::)

I doubt it was an error.....not in an Ang Lee film.....

Well, according to IMDb there are several goofs in the movie.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/goofs
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:35 am »
Stimulating............  ahem Stimulating.................  Gawd Damn it!    Okay okay!     STIMULATING!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 04:54:58 am »

Ray, you're funny... lol
Chut up!

stubbyeddy

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 06:42:23 am »
i get the feeling some people see films very differently from me  ;D

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 08:34:39 am »
Yes Stubs!  Try watching with both eyes!  and yer clothes orf!  That's how we do it!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 08:51:19 am »
 :laugh: @ Ray.

Seriously, I think Jack having pulled his coat back on is symbolic of feeling vulnerable to Ennis (and how Ennis feels about what just happened).  It follows along the lines of the symbolism of layers of clothing throughout the movie - the more layers, the more vulnerable the characters are feeling.  You need look no further than Jack's *four* layers when he returns to Aguirre's trailer the next summer to see that.  He takes the coat off to get closer to Ennis.  He puts it back on for protection afterwards.  Maybe just from the cold.  Or maybe from a broken heart.
No more beans!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 08:53:49 am »
Barbs, you know I love you dearly, but I have to say: Crap!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 08:55:26 am »
Barbs, you know I love you dearly, but I have to say: Crap!

Just did, thanks.

What's your point, lovey?
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
i get the feeling some people see films very differently from me  ;D

Well hey, nice to meet ya Eddy..

Erm, yes, most people will watch films differently to other folk.. but that's what makes dissecting them so much fun..  :D

Where you from, Eddy??
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
Did you just come here to type after crapping! I so love your loyalty! I have to say at this point that even a master such as Ang would fail to consider how pulling a jacket on would impact the world.  the man's sybolism is breath taking, but really, I draw the line at how one dresses!  I love you barb, but would suggest at this point that you stop the repeat perscriptions.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2006, 09:04:20 am »
and if one person corrects my spelling...........................

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2006, 09:09:43 am »
Prescriptions.

:P
No more beans!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 09:14:18 am »
shuddup!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 09:17:15 am »
Prescriptions.

:P

LOL!!!!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Go sistahh....
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 09:21:58 am »
Hrmph!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 09:22:31 am »

*soothes Ray with a shoulder and back massage*

there there...
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 09:28:13 am »
We are so getting closer to the 1000 post mark Hunh?!  Soon we will be able to telll posters that they cannot post 'full frontal nudity' with authoirity!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:53 am »
We are so getting closer to the 1000 post mark Hunh?!  Soon we will be able to telll posters that they cannot post 'full frontal nudity' with authoirity!

Tell.. not telll

Authority.. not authoirity

Love your spirit tho..

*ducks*
 ;D
Chut up!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2006, 01:00:12 pm »
Ennis fell fast asleep.  Jack, who was less drunk, and always cold in that climate - and around Ennis' emotional state - stayed awake long enough to pull his coat on.

No talking, no chit chat, no cuddling, definitely none.

Ennis couldn't even talk to Jack the next morning.  He said nothing and just rode off.  Hardly a man who would engage in 'afterglow'.

My experience with men also lets me know that if it's late at night, after a full day, men just want to fall asleep.  That's why I always push for afternoon or early evening sex.

They have no reason NOT to engage in any 'after activities' because it's still too early to go to sleep.

I dislike early morning sex as well, for hygienic reasons.  Most men I was with were all for it, but they were after SEX, not lovemaking.  Just inserting Peg A into Slot B and going after it.  Which I only like when I first meet someone.  After you get used to them, and they've been around, such basic sex activities are what the old 'Wives Tales/Jokes' are about.  Women lying there, doing the laundry list in their heads while their man goes after it.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:02:49 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2006, 09:53:21 pm »
I have to say at this point that even a master such as Ang would fail to consider how pulling a jacket on would impact the world.  the man's sybolism is breath taking, but really, I draw the line at how one dresses!  I love you barb, but would suggest at this point that you stop the repeat perscriptions.

I quite like Barb's ideas about layering.  I bet the costume designers for the film would much appreciate the deep analysis.  Well, so much seems to hinge on clothing anyway (shirts, shirt colors, hat colors, etc.) that the layering idea seems quite good.  This film is so spare in certain ways that it seems like the little details mean more in this film than in many other films.

Re: Jack's coat in the morning after the first tent scene, I also quite like the idea of vulnerability.  He doesn't tuck his shirt in when he gets out of the tent, which makes him look really, super vulnerable.  This un-tucked shirt detail makes me wonder if he really *wasn't* fully dressed whilst sleeping.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 07:02:24 am »
Re: Jack's coat in the morning after the first tent scene, I also quite like the idea of vulnerability.  He doesn't tuck his shirt in when he gets out of the tent, which makes him look really, super vulnerable.  This un-tucked shirt detail makes me wonder if he really *wasn't* fully dressed whilst sleeping.

Ooh, I like it.  I like it a lot.

I could totally see him pulling the coat back on, but so liking the feeling of Ennis' nakedness against his own that he lets that part of things be.

And I love the look of utter contentment on his face as he sleeps.  I think even Jack would be afraid to embrace that contentment while awake for fear of disappointment, but while he sleeps, he's free to be and feel 100% what he is and feels.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:03:59 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 08:06:20 am »
Oh yeah!   you gotta love how content Jack looks.   He has after all, got what he was waiting weeks?  months?  for!   Hell, for all we know, Jack was a virgin.   I can't imagine there were too many opportunities there for him to have gotten laid already.   He implies to Ennis that he is a sinner already, but that could be sins of "thought" only.   

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2006, 08:49:30 am »
Oh yeah!   you gotta love how content Jack looks.   He has after all, got what he was waiting weeks?  months?  for!   Hell, for all we know, Jack was a virgin.   I can't imagine there were too many opportunities there for him to have gotten laid already.   He implies to Ennis that he is a sinner already, but that could be sins of "thought" only.   

True.  It occurs to me now, though - was he fast asleep, or kind of half awake/half asleep, having a little morning reverie replaying what happened last night?  I always wonder if he's aware Ennis is awake when he pulls his pants on and clamors out of the tent - if at that point, he's just lying there pretending to still be asleep?  It seems like it'd be awfully hard not to hear/feel him getting up like that.  And he comes out of the tent awfully soon after Ennis leaves it - Ennis is still checking his pack and gun when he emerges.
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2006, 10:21:16 am »
Every now and then, I wonder if Jack didn't take off his jacket in all 13 takes (wait... if I'm talking about takes, then I should probably say "Jake" rather than "Jack," huh?), so it really is a continuity error. As much as I like the idea of the layers of clothing representing layers of protection, I have trouble imagining exactly how Jack could fumble around to get his jacket on while Ennis is collapsing into sleep, and still end up spooned in front of Ennis like that. (I mean, the jacket's dropped behind where Ennis ends up sleeping, right? So Jack would have to climb across Ennis and then snuggle himself into position? It's easier to imagine both of them just collapsing.)

I love the content look on Jack's face, too. I can imagine him sleeping, but I also like the idea of Jack being half asleep or pretending to sleep, -- not wanting to move, wake Ennis, and bring the night to an end.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2006, 10:40:50 am »

I love the content look on Jack's face, too. I can imagine him sleeping, but I also like the idea of Jack being half asleep or pretending to sleep, -- not wanting to move, wake Ennis, and bring the night to an end.
Exactly!   Jack doesn't want the momemt to end!   I think he was lying there waiting to see what Ennis would do.   Would Ennis make a pot of coffee and bring two cups back?   

But when he hears Ennis getting ready to ride out, I'm sure he jumped up and slid on his pants too.  As we see, he is saddened by Ennis's silent departure. 

:'(

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2006, 10:44:07 am »
I don't really see the jacket thing as a continuity error, as I don't see it as a continuity error if Jack puts it on after they finish having sex, or even is he wakes up during the night feeling cold.  It might be a little bit dull of me, but I just accept the fact that he doesn't have it on during sex, and it's on the next morning.  It's not like the real continuity error when Aguirre rides up to Jack chopping wood.  Jack places a piece of wood on the block as Aguirre approaches, but at the end of the conversation the piece is missing.  Because there is no time loss in the Agirre scene, it is a continuity error.  But in TS1 there is time lost between sex and the next morning, anything could have happened include putting on a Jacket.

Now this I love!  Has everyone had a time in their life when you don't want to sleep and don't want to move because you don't want that time to ever come to an end?  Thanks for posting nakymaton! ;D

Offline David

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:21 am »
I don't really see the jacket thing as a continuity error, as I don't see it as a continuity error if Jack puts it on after they finish having sex, or even is he wakes up during the night feeling cold. 

Ha ha ha!    Very true!    Living in a northern climate,  I can relate to that!

I also recall undressing again prior to the BF or guest  waking!     ::)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:53 am »
Has everyone had a time in their life when you don't want to sleep and don't want to move because you don't want that time to ever come to an end?

Oh, yes. :)

LOL at undressing again before someone awakes, David. ;D I get cold, too, but I guess I've been more inclined to be cold and unable to sleep rather than risk waking my partner and ending the moment!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 11:53:25 am »
They went at it in silence except for a few sharp intakes of breath and Jack's choked "gun's goin off," then out, down, and asleep.
   Ennis woke in red dawn with his pants around his knees, a top-grade headache, and Jack butted against him; without saying anything about it both knew how it would go for the rest of the summer, sheep be damned.

As it did go. They never talked about the sex, let it happen, at first only in the tent at night, then in the full daylight with the hot sun striking down, and at evening in the fire glow, quick, rough, laughing and snorting, no lack of noises, but saying not a goddamn word except once Ennis said, "I'm not no queer," and Jack jumped in with "Me neither. A one-shot thing. Nobody's business but ours." There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours.

They believed themselves invisible, not knowing Joe Aguirre had watched them through his 10x42 binoculars for ten minutes one day, waiting until they'd buttoned up their
jeans, waiting until Ennis rode back to the sheep, before bringing up the message that Jack's people had sent word that his uncle Harold was in the hospital with pneumonia and expected not to make it. Though he did, and Aguirre came up again to say so, fixing Jack with his bold stare, not bothering to dismount.

Well, according to the book, they never talked about the sex afterwards and, it seems they never talked DURING sex neither. Reminds me of a song from the Annie Oakley musical, Annie Get Your Gun, "Doin' What Comes Naturally."