Author Topic: Ennis open the window of Jack's room -- by hsuvera  (Read 8676 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ennis open the window of Jack's room -- by hsuvera
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:14:31 am »
Ennis open the window of Jack's room   
  by hsuvera     (Sat Apr 29 2006 20:40:53 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
I have read several threads about this topic. But I have the following view point whether others would share with?

Jack's father must hate the man(Ennis) sitting in front of him very much. He must have known Jack is gay and his devotion with Ennis since Brokeback Mountain, and he resented it. Now comes Ennis in person asking his son's ashes.
How cruel and cold Jack's father slapped Ennis by his words. In the film we see Ennis facial expression: Ennis was a bit of light up when Jack's father spoke about he knew where Brokeback Mountain is and his son mentioned the name "Ennis de Mar" for twenty years, but this spring Jack told him the other guy to bring with. At this moment Ennis face was frozen and turned to burst out. If not Jack's mother put her hand on Ennis shoulder and told him about Jack's room, Ennis could have break down. Slowly and heavily Ennis stepped up into Jack's room he could hardly breath, he had to open the window to let the fresh air in, sit down to calm himself. Ennis must have gone through everything that our BBM message board has been intensely discussed: whether Jack quitted Ennis before his death??? Ennis is in that moment knew as much as the audience knew and did the same thoughts the audience think. This is a great moving to connect the big screen with the audience. Then the two shirts speak for the story. Jack didn't quit Ennis! Jack had no idea how to quit Ennis because he loved Ennis, so only death took them apart. Like the wedding vow, on the last scene Ennis said "I swear" to Jack.
Re: Ennis open the window of Jack's room   
  by maggiesmommy0399     (Sat Apr 29 2006 20:50:38 )   
very good..

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction we are loved."
  by mooninbalance     (Sat Apr 29 2006 21:08:46 )   
UPDATED Sat Apr 29 2006 21:32:36
Yes - for some reason, I'd never fully considered how stunning the revelation must have been that Jack had intended to move in with another guy; but had to (as usual) act nonchalant and repress his feelings. Then, in a swift one-two punch to discover the shirts, and all that they implied.
Cool act or not, I really think he would have decked the old SOB if he had tried to prevent him from taking those shirts.
  by catglith     (Sun Apr 30 2006 05:30:47 )   
"Cool act or not, I really think he would have decked the old SOB if he had tried to prevent him from taking those shirts."

I for one would have paid very good money to have seen that.

I HATE that man.
  by movielover35     (Sun Apr 30 2006 22:15:26 )   
Have you read the short-story? He's even worse than the film portrays him.
  by catglith     (Mon May 1 2006 07:50:41 )   
Yes movielover35 i have read the short story. He is completely hateful in that too.
[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by an administrator
  by balrog_ressurected_again      (Sat Apr 29 2006 21:27:48 )   
Or possibly letting it in.

Remember, Jack is associated with wind. Ennis opens the window and next thing you know he is summoned to the closet. Did Jack come in on the wind?

No More Trolls!

[Post deleted]   
  by mooninbalance     (Sat Apr 29 2006 21:42:21 )   
Gosh, I hate like hell to say this, but the story states that the room was hot...
However, in the film, from the way Ennis is dressed, and the general impression of the time of year, it seems like a cool day and an unused room probably wouldn't be heated.
Anyway, I like the "wind" and "spirit" concepts!
  by doctordon     (Sat Apr 29 2006 22:05:48 )   
Great post, thanks very much, very moving. That whole farmhouse scene portrays so very much with a handful of words, and with silences, innuendo, modulated voices, facial expressions and settings. Some of the best filmmaking I've ever seen, technically and artistically. And some of the most important.
  by balrog_ressurected_again      (Sat Apr 29 2006 22:15:26 )   
One more thing David in Indiana, as the Lightning Flat sequence ends, Ennis stares up at the open window of Jack's room. The camera lingers on him doing this. Does he sense a presence? Is he perhaps without realizing it, saying goodbye to Jack's spirit here as it departs the room - as he himself departs Lighting Flat probably for good.

No More Trolls!

[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster
Ennis sitting at the window in Jack's childhood room...   
  by toycoon      (Sat Jul 29 2006 09:55:42 )   
That scene made me think that Ennis just wants to get a sense of Jack's feelings when he sat in that room, in that tiny chair aspiring to be a rodeo cowboy and later to meet the partner of his dreams.

Ennis must of realized how many times Jack may have sat in the very same spot, looking out the window and daydreaming of a beautiful place where birds fly and wishes come true.
  by catglith     (Sun Apr 30 2006 05:34:18 )   
"Then the two shirts speak for the story. Jack didn't quit Ennis! Jack had no idea how to quit Ennis because he loved Ennis, so only death took them apart. Like the wedding vow, on the last scene Ennis said "I swear" to Jack."

That's very moving. I agree.
  by BannerHill     (Sun Apr 30 2006 08:32:47 )   
That is a verythought provoking post , OP. I see what you are saying and I think that you are right.

One thing I do not agree with though. I do not think that Jack's father was homophobic specificly. I think he was full of hate. He hated everything and everybody. I doubt that he specificly hated Jack being Gay. He hated everything.

The poigniant thing to me is that Jack grew up in that oppressive environment, yet survived and made his own way in the world. He wasn't squashed like his mother

To me the Twist farmhouse scene is the climax of the film.

"Hey Ennis, do you know someone named 'Jack'?"
[Post deleted]   
Re: Ennis open the window of Jack's room - THANK YOU   
  by Floyd_RHL     (Sun Apr 30 2006 16:25:04 )   
I agree that the Lightning Flats scene is the climax of the film, because it answers the question: did Jack know Ennis loved him, and did Jack still love Ennis even though he and Ennis couldn't be together. We know the answer to these questions are Yes, the union of Jack and Ennis together are symbolized by those two blood-stained shirts which have stood the test of time and hatred (from people like Jack's father who would toss the shirts into a bin).... (and Randall was diversion.)

But once reading this provocative thread today, I now realize it was the climax of the film because it finally brought Jack and Ennis together, spiritually and eternally.

Guided by Jack's mother, when Ennis opens the window in Jack's room, he is still filled with sadness and shock at losing the love of his life. Right after he opens that window though, he unconciously lets Jack into the room, back into his life. Jack tells Ennis to ignore the father, listen to what he is telling him, look in the general direction of the closet for no reason at all and just go there. Slowly with beauty, the shirts show themselves and the questions are answered, Ennis takes them into his arms and with all of his senses, he breaks down searching for the love of his life. Carefully with tenderness he holds the shirts in his arm and the mother helps him pack them into a bag so that he can take them with him to Riveton. (He has the shirts, notice there's no pain when the father tells him that Jack's ashes will stay)

Symbolized by the shirts, Jack's spirit is still with Ennis, up to the last scene. Once Ennis has finally let Jack's spirit into his life, he stays in the trailer with Ennis. His prescense is evident when Ennis changes his mind and decides to forfeit his position at the ranch that month to go to his daughter's wedding. Ennis' last line of the film is a testament to Jack, that he swears. That he misses him, that he wishes he was there with him. He talks to Jack looking at the uinion of the two shirts. In only the Ang Lee way, we see the camera pan to the right of the closet, to the window of the trailer. This window is closed and we realize that Jack still is with Ennis, and will be with him forever.

It is painful that this is the only way that Jack and Ennis can be together. But in Ennis' last line of the film, Ennis is talking to Jack as though he is there with him... Jack, you know the rest.
  by Thlayli-rah1     (Sun Apr 30 2006 16:26:22 )   
Cool......

***The Motorcycle Boy reigns***
  by artsybaebe      (Sun Apr 30 2006 18:42:18 )   
And of course there is still further significance here: the juxtaposition of the interior spaces of the closet and the window to the exterior, ie literally looking OUT to the external world, the metaphorical suffocation of their secret, interior relationship consigned to the homosexual closet vs the potential opportunity to have been able to be open/OUT about it. Closet vs. Window a truly poignant and tragic juxtaposition of images,
  by littlewing1957      (Sun Apr 30 2006 18:50:38 )   
<<the juxtaposition of the interior spaces of the closet and the window to the exterior, ie literally looking OUT to the external world>>

Exactly! The composition of this shot is genius level work.
  by catglith     (Sun Apr 30 2006 18:52:01 )   
Floyd_RHL, that was genuinely moving. Thanks for your post.
  by balrog_ressurected_again      (Sun Apr 30 2006 22:05:50 )   
And then the very last shot outside the trailor window is WIND blowing over the prairie grasses....

No More Trolls!

by hsuvera     (Mon May 1 2006 23:29:28 )   
Ennis opened the window and opened his heart as well.

After above intense discussions, I got the following concept to share:

1. Old Twist might be bitter instead of hateful after the death of his son.
One remarks very well that in nowadays parents are still bitter if not
hateful with children being gay, it goes without saying in the 60's to 80's.

2. While Old Twist told Ennis about Jack's plan with Ennis then with new guy was
a knife of two sharp edges. First gay living together never works out and
his son dumped Ennis. Old twist slapped Ennis in his face with words as I
described.

3. The two shirts in Jack's room for over twenty years. But old Twist never burn
them or dump them. He even didn't say a word when Ennis took them away. His
last word the put Jack's ashes in family plot could be a "warm" gesture to
take the son back in the family. -- Ennis expression shows lighten up to
remark their mutural consent to have Jack's ashes staying home.

I feel this is more Ang Lee's philosophy the reunion of father and son(Jack & father), which lead to the last scene Ennis agree to attend Alma jr.'s wedding (Father and Daughter) and the two shirts (lovers) with Brokeback mountain ( the right place and time in 1963)

Once I read about the most beautiful kine of love is the "stolen" kind love, because it is bitter sweet. Ennis and Jack have no regrets because they still have "Brokeback Mountain", for most people they never being in love in their life.

by backinburntcity     (Tue May 2 2006 17:06:26 )   
'But once reading this provocative thread today, I now realize it was the climax of the film because it finally brought Jack and Ennis together, spiritually and eternally.'

I've been tearing up throughout this thread, but that sentence did it. Oh, God. This really is one of the best threads I've read on here. Kudos. I'm going to save it on to Microsoft Word now. :')

// 'Why the hell don't you become the God of the Tree?' //
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis open the window of Jack's room -- by hsuvera
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 08:15:19 am »
  by taj_e     (Mon May 1 2006 23:39:46 )   
UPDATED Tue May 2 2006 04:49:11
hsuvera
I think you have just described how brutal and harsh Mr. Twist had been towards Ennis. He didn't just slap Ennis he hurt Jack as well. Belittling Jack, downgraded him to 'dreamy boy' a loser so to speak
And in his angry and disgusted eyes, I see him laughing the fact that Ennis fell in love with Jack

And I'm glad Mrs. Twist was there, to comfort and of course Ennis finding the shirts.

Perhaps the fact that Ennis managed to push his way through 'Mr. Twist' speaks volumes, the hope to come for Ennis (And I hope, the like of Mrs. Twist, Alma Jr's and of course Jack's love will be there as well)

He couldn't push his way through the bear, Aguirre but he did with Mr. Twist

'I wish I knew how to quit BBM...'
  by crissttigaldames     (Tue May 2 2006 16:47:35 )   
What can I say?. I just want to say that this is one of the most beautiful threads I have read. Thanks to all.

"The Love you take is equal to the Love you make" The Beatles.
  by hsuvera     (Tue May 2 2006 18:17:05 )   
To step up into Jack's room was to step into Jack's life. The room where Jack lived in his youth and yearly visited after starting life with Lauren. Ennis barely knew Jack. If Ennis did not sent the postcard after the lake fight scene, Ennis would not received the returned postcard stamping "deceased". Ennis would not call Lauren. Lauren would not relized Brokeback Mountain do exist where the "great love" of Jack was,and send Ennis to fulfil Jack's wish -- spread his ashes on Brokeback Mountian. Ennis would never visit Jack's parents and hear the bitter father describe Jack's plan all passed. Ennis would be in hell to think that Jack really quitted him for the other guy, if Jack's mom did not send him to Jack's room.

Once in Jack's room, Ennis had not idea but wished to take fresh breath to let out the "bad" air he got down stairs from old Trist. The the two shirs clarify
the eternal love of Jack to Ennis.

Old Twist didn't so "hateful" when he told Ennis that his son's ashes would go to the family plog and Ennis seemed relax when hearing that. After repeaed viewing I definitely sure that old Twist finally accepted his son and took him home and Ennis would leave Jack physically(ashes) home and emothionally(shirts) with him.

If you have seen all Ang-Lee's films, every father of Ang-Lee portraited is "hard out soft in", they are all strict & stubbened father with soft heart.
I have read several articles mentioned that Ang-Lee decided to make this film after the death of his father. Annie Proulx has thought Ang-Lee would transfer the pains of loving father to enforce the film making. If you watch the film trailer, Ang-Lee contributed this film to his father and mentioned his father at various speeches at the award reception. So the final two scenes are reunion scenes as I previously described: father and son (by old Twist took son's ashes in family plog), two lovers(by two shirts), father and daughter(by attending Alma jr.'s wedding).
  by lil_toons     (Tue May 2 2006 19:02:41 )   
UPDATED Tue May 2 2006 19:06:32
Ennis must have felt horribly responsible, in some way, upon learning from Old Man Twist Jack was seeing another guy around the time of the lake scene fight.

Remember, Jack was visibly upset that Ennis postponed his next rendevous
with Jack until November.

Had Ennis allowed Jack into his life, like Jack so desperately craved especially at that final lake scene fight, Jack fate may well have taken a different turn.

This thought may have shattered Ennis heart sitting across hearing Old Man Twist revelations about Jack.

But, it is Jack's Mother who does an astonishing act of mercy. She guides Ennis to Jack's room so that Ennis could see into Jack's soul.

Ennis finding the shirts are a validation of Jack's true love and admiration for Ennis. This discovery allows Ennis to see the shirts are a symbol to Jack that Ennis is a soulmate.

But, Jack is no longer there. Ennis mission is to protect the shirts as a sacred memorial to their eternal love.
  by shortfic     (Tue May 2 2006 19:31:34 )   
Bumping for an excellent thread.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."
[Post deleted]   
  by hsuvera     (Wed May 3 2006 23:26:54 )   
Jack: " it can be like this... just like this... always"
" It's nobody's business, but ours".
The two shirts in the closet.
[Post deleted]   
Re: *bump*   
  by tillerman-1     (Sat May 6 2006 08:35:19 )   
Just read *Floyd RHL* posting.
Made me cry.
It was so beautifully thought out.

Jack I swear......
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
Re: *bump*   
  by zanmorrow     (Fri May 12 2006 12:44:29 )   
No one's mentioned this maybe because it's so obvious, but Jack's mother knew the shirts were there, she must have, she wouldn't have left that closet without being cleaned out for all that time. And she left the bloody dirty shirts there because she knew how much they meant to Jack (and to someone else). Jack must have got those shirts out every time he came back and then put them away when he went back Lureen.

Jack bleep Twist
[Post deleted]   
  by nknymphet     (Fri May 12 2006 10:38:47 )   
I'm not sure on this...but the book mentioned something about Ennis trying to have a look at the road that Jack was walking on everyday when he was a boy.
[Post deleted]   
  by hsuvera     (Tue May 23 2006 19:46:51 )   
"Ennis trying to have a look at the road that Jack was walking on everyday when he was a boy"

There's other thread about "the only road Jack knew as a boy", which is to imply Jack's sectual orientation as gay not a choice but by nature. I hope to find this thread as for many of streight people especially the parents just can let go if children being gay. The worst is the person himself being gay and homophobia -- Ennis charactor.

Reading the short story of Annie Proulx helps to find out the enlargements of many charactors, such as women - Lureen, Alma, Alma jr. Cassie, Ms. Trist. The screenplay writers and Ang Lee did a great job to add "family value" and "female prospects abd powers" into the scenes. I have to keep reminding it was 1963 when the story began at that time even the word "gay" did not have other meaning but "happy", I remembered using this word "gay" to describe my happy life in English course in the 70'. Therefore it surpirsed me to see young kids watching this film if they understand the time gaps? Because until the end of the story it was 1984, many of the kids are not born yet?!

The film is controversial only only to the public but during production, whether the scene to make or drop, to delete or keep, which charactor to enlarge or to limit. Annie Proulx questioned about Ang Lee being Chinese as director. As a result the film mixed with western theme but orient touch.

For a relationship to twenty years, Ennis only knew Jack, just him alone. So were the audiences. Some responses to Lureen and Alma were bashing because we only see the "two boys" in love without sympathy to the women and their children. After the death of Jack, Ennis for the first time talked to Lureen by phone though, visited Jack's parents.

Lureen had a crash on Jack at the first glance and fell on the first night, but then we as audiences only heard Jack's complaints on her as "money digger".
The conversation with Ennis revealled her shame to wed a "gay" and "astray husband". Her pretending accident (questioned as hostile bash) to save face as widow for the family. Her learning Ennis del Mar, the lover of her husband, years before their marriage. Still she sent Ennis to Jack's parents for the half ashes to spread on Brokeback Mountain. The other half ashes of Jack she would keep, maybe together with hers one day.

Old Twist was much hatred in short story, but film left out certain paragraph so old Twist to be a "bitter" father questioning the "love" between his son and Ennis wasn't eternal as "the other guy" took Ennis place the spring of 1983. But his accepting his son's ashes in family plog for most oriental viewers would take it as "accepting Jack as what he was" to back to the family.

Jack's wishes never pass:
Jack could not live together with the Ennis, the man of his love.
Jack's ashes couldn't spread on Brokeback Mountain, because his wife and his father would not let go.
Jack told Ennis their last night together "I didn't want none a either kind," said Jack. "But ****-all has worked the way I wanted. Nothin never come to my hand the right way."

Ennis' wishes never pass either:
Ennis could not keep his family. Alma divorced him and took daughters away.
Ennis could not keep Jack. Jack dies after the lake fight.
Ennis could not carry out Jack's wish, ashes I mean. Jack's widow and father were in way.

In the short story and film: Ennis: I'm stuck with what I got, caught in my own loop. Can't get out of it. Jack, I don't want a be like them guys you see around sometimes. And I don't want a be dead.

Ennis lives: if you can't fix it you got a stand it," he said.

The film really catch people's deep soul, that most of us may have a dream, but the fear keep us from reaching it.

This thread deserves a read...   
  by toycoon      (Tue May 23 2006 21:43:37 )   
This board continues to amaze me!
Re: This thread deserves a read...   
  by jshane2002      (Thu May 25 2006 01:32:12 )   
Me too, I almost missed this thread. I'm glad people kept posting messages to keep it going.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by NewlinSewell     (Sat May 27 2006 01:09:10 )   
i disagree that the twinned shirts left in the closet of his parents' house by Jack signify that Jack never quit Ennis. I think it means just the opposite, considering that in the end of the movie, Jack ran off with Randall to Mexico to start up his homestead.
[Post deleted]   
  by NewlinSewell     (Sat May 27 2006 01:16:35 )   
sorry man, but i don't remember that sweater scene. are you sure you didn't make it up?
-Newlin
[Post deleted]   
  by terryhall2     (Sat May 27 2006 09:53:39 )   
Just when exactly did Jack run off with Randall? He didn't!

The old man is bitter because he never got the help that Jack kept promising. He never actually cared that Jack was going to bring another guy, Ennis up to help out on the ranch, nor indeed the other fella (Randall, we assume) - but he did care that none of this happened. He says in the book; " I can't get the help I need round here'. His only son (and helper) has died so I think his comments to Ennis are snide resentfulness, not hatred. (in effect saying:'Ennis Del Mar, you didn't bother to come, maybe the other guy would have, but at the end of the day, Jack was always a dreamer and neither guy came up with him' and I was left to carry on by myself!)
  by vhw11     (Fri Jun 2 2006 01:31:29 )   
bump before it got deleted.

Ennis checked out unpatiently again and again in front of the window if Jack arrived. At last he heard the car parked. He rushed to the window, a grin in his face -- a man in love.

Alma checked out as her husband was gone too long and saw what she supposed not to see. Her husband embraced passionately with his fishing body - a fatal act.

Alma with Alma jr. in her arm approaching to the window saw her husband jumped in to Jack's car and drove away. -- helpless and lost, if he would be back? what would become....

Ennis open the window of Jack's room, saw the only road Jack's had knew as boy, Ennis had not idea but wished to take fresh breath to let out the "bad" air he got down stairs from old Trist. The the two shirs (two skins)clarify the eternal love of Jack to Ennis. -- love is the word never spoken between two lovers.

Ennis put Alma jr.'s coat in the closet, the door hung with the shirts, reversed to Jack's inside of Ennis', the postcard of Brokeback mountain. "Jack, I swear".... whispered to lover. Door closed. The wind view
of trailer - Ennis only road to be seen.
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by edd_joey     (Wed Jun 14 2006 16:18:59 )   
Like the wedding vow, on the last scene Ennis said "I swear" to Jack.

wow! i didn't think about that; it makes sense 

You have turned me into this...
  by richardg49     (Sun Jun 18 2006 04:01:55 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
bump   
  by joyce023     (Thu Aug 10 2006 13:04:37 )   
bump
Re: Open the window and open your heart   
  by vhw11     (Thu Aug 10 2006 18:51:53 )   
Someone posted in another thread that Ennis lingers a while after Mrs. Twist closes the door. Ennis stands in front of the house and looks up the window, which has been partially opened by Ennis. It's Ennis' last glance of Jack's.

How horrible is that Ennis lose his lover and the last seeing Jack is in the fight. The blame and complain each other for the last twenty years wasting of live. Now everything is gone, Jack is dead.

Ennis can't get Jack's ashes but he gets the two shirts.
  by CowboysInLove     (Thu Aug 17 2006 09:40:50 )   
bump
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by ScissorhandsRaineyluv     (Tue Sep 26 2006 16:16:48 )   
bump.

"Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama." Ed Wood
[Post deleted]   
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix      (Mon Oct 16 2006 10:08:27 )   

If you look carefully, Jack's name is spelled out subliminally across the screen as Ennis leaves the Twist house.

The J is in the reflection of the truck window.
The A is the triangular dormer on the house.
The C is in the cloud over the house.
The K is buried and trails off in the angular mass of trees to the right.

The correct answer to the wrong question is meant to lead astray.
bump   
  by LauraGigs     (Sat Nov 25 2006 00:28:44 )   
so it's not deleted
Re: bump   
  by sfericsf     (Mon Nov 27 2006 21:50:01 )   
Bump
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
bump   
  by northernplains     (Mon Dec 11 2006 21:03:42 )   
bump
bump   
  by northernplains     (Mon Dec 25 2006 18:15:22 )   

bump
[Post ignored]   
  by [ignored]      
This message has been hidden because the poster is in your ignore list
Re: bump   
  by vhw11     (Sun Jan 7 2007 08:21:52 )   

Still moved after so long time.
Ennis opens the window for a brisk of fresh air, turns his look the other end of the room, then he finds the shirts.

A solid proof that Jack loves him still.

Ennis most provoked move in passing by old Twist with two shirts.
Nothing to hold him back from getting these two shirts and Mrs. Twist has a paper bad ready for the shirts.

Ennis finally takes "Jack" (shirt) home.

Well... I guess I'll see you around, huh?
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ennis open the window of Jack's room -- by hsuvera
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
Merci good interesting thread and 2 posts so far !!!

Why did Ennis open that window in Jack's room ?

Au revoir,
hugs!